Looking for an egg. Studying the info. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We thank you all for so much info.

We are long time 'tenters'. Ready to begin to look at egglike trailers.
Two early-sixties adults; Arthur is nearly 6'4" ( plus one old dog ).
Possible 13'. Expect to get a used one as our first.

Presently : reading opinions and experiences, most of the info here.

Thought we would check out trailers this camping season, yet have been researching this winter and now able to imagine us in many of the trailers pictured here.

Two purposes for our consideration.
First as woodsy home for two New Yorkers ( Queens ) one week a month (or so ) in the spring.summer.autumn seasons. The 13' length is appealing.

Second as home + studio ( + exterior stone carving studio ) for me ( alone ) on friend's property for periods of a month or so a few times a year. The 17' length would be better.

Reading Monica M's post and all the comments, I feel the same as she : I want our egg. Yet, will listen to all the reply posts, full of good advise. Patience. Patience.

We are early in the process. Hoping to go look at one 4/5 hours away ( if it is still available when we can go in two weeks ). A 1986Burro17' from this site, Rick F. D. in MA. Only 6'1" high interior.

So, Thank You all for sharing info, that gives us many answers. Now, I feel a part of a community.
We expect to keep it simple with equipment except for setting up solar panels.

Gallina
S.Gallina S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Hi - Alan W. here...

I know you are lookng smaller...but we have the Scamp 19' 5th wheel, and the first issue I see is 6'4".
I, Alan, am 6'1" +/- and the side to side bed in the 5th is ADEQUATE.
Taller you would have to do a front to back sleeping style in a 5th, which moves the bath from front to side.

I suppose the other option would be to go "Cotton Hill" and have your shins removed.

I think you should give the U-Haul wide body units a serious look.

Quote:

Presently : reading opinions and experiences, most of the info here.

Thought we would check out trailers this camping season, yet have been researching this winter and now able to imagine us in many of the trailers pictured here.

Two purposes for our consideration.
First as woodsy home for two New Yorkers ( Queens ) one week a month (or so ) in the spring.summer.autumn seasons. The 13' length is appealing.

Second as home + studio ( + exterior stone carving studio ) for me ( alone ) on friend's property for periods of a month or so a few times a year. The 17' length would be better.

Reading Monica M's post and all the comments, I feel the same as she : I want our egg. Yet, will listen to all the reply posts, full of good advise. Patience. Patience.

We are early in the process. Hoping to go look at one 4/5 hours away ( if it is still available when we can go in two weeks ). A 1986Burro17' from this site, Rick F. D. in MA. Only 6'1" high interior.

So, Thank You all for sharing info, that gives us many answers. Now, I feel a part of a community.

Gallina
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Dear Gallina,

What would you be towing your dream fiberglass trailer with?

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hoping to go look at one 4/5 hours away ( if it is still available when we can go in two weeks ). [b]A 1986 Burro 17' from this site, Rick F. D. in MA. Only 6'1" high interior.
Verify it with Rick, but I believe his Burro is a "Wide-Body". If so, the beds will be longer than a Scamp or Casita's beds. This may mitigate the stand-up height issue.

I'm only 5'6" so they're all good!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #5

Harry,

Arthur's car is a Mercury Grand Marquee.

I drive a Chevy Minivan that is on it's way out.

Therefore we would use the Marquee if we get a trailer this year.

Gallina
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We bought our 5er from a taller guy who could only sleep diagonally in the loft, precluding snoozing in the loft with his wife. He could, however, fit in the converted dinette, where the trailer is slightly wider.

We re-configured our 5er's loft to sleep front-to-back, so we have the best of both worlds: a permanent bed and an all-but-permanent dinette that only gets converted to a bed if we have company when we go camping.

Old Loft:
Click image for larger version

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__02_.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	17869

New Loft:

Name:   07Sep_Loft_300x225.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  89.7 KB
Attached Thumbnails
08Apr01_Pic_of_Closet_from_Loft_640x480.jpg  
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Verify it with Rick, but I believe his Burro is a "Wide-Body". If so, the beds will be longer than a Scamp or Casita's beds. This may mitigate the stand-up height issue.

I'm only 5'6" so they're all good!
Rick's Burro17' is a widebody and he used a queensize air mattress.
That is what we currently use in a tent.

Arthur has to walk/ move around inside to see how he feels. ( Perhaps A. can go bare foot; and we all have shrunk some in the past decades. )
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Regarding the 13' vs 16-17' issue, apparently you can foresee some times when you would value the extra space of the larger size. So even if you think that most times a 13' would be big enough, you're better off getting a larger one for those occasions when you need more. The weight difference between a 13' Scamp or Casita and that 17' Burro is probably only about 500 lb. so towing will be about the same. The extra width will not make a noticeable difference on your towing either IMHO. The extra 4' in length could be noticeable if you had a smaller, lighter tow vehicle than the Grand Marquis, but you don't. I do think you will be happy to have that extra width and length when you get to packing all your stuff away and living in the unit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:

Gallina

If you are already camping, check out the [b]Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming)
forum for upcoming events you might be able to get to. There is usually one day reserved for trailer tours. Most of us will show our trailers off at almost any time.

Keep your eye on the for sale and referal forums for trailers in your area to see for yourself and make sure you bring the buyers check list in the documents area to familiarize yourself what you are looking for.

Good luck hunting.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Gallina & Arthur

We are full-timing in our Scamp 13. I'm 5/7" - DH is 5'8 1/2" so standing straight is not an issue for us. Neither is the side-to-side bed, which remains made up a the bed (never use that space as a dinette). Since you are looking at used for your introduction to fiberglass (warning: once bitten, resistance IS futile!) please note the Scamp interior height (I believe) is only 5'10". After the factory fire 2 years ago, they redesigned the molds and added 4" to the interior height for the newer models.

The 17ft Burro is a neat unit. If the Grand Marquee can pull it, IMHO the height/rear bed issues would not be a deal-breaker. However, as you stated, a 3-D inspection and a walkaround for Arthur would be a must.

One 17ft Casita model features a rear dinette which converts to a KING or 2 twins - very nifty!

We wish you success in finding that 'just-right-for-you' Egg, and many, many happy memories! Take care, L 'n D
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can understand the concern for standing upright in a trailer. But remember, there are those that are perfectly happy owning Tear Drop trailers.... and one needs to lay down to put clothes on in those! A 13' trailer has about 3-1/2 feet of floor space for total standing room. Other than getting dressed and maybe standing at the stove or sink, you'll spend 99% of your time either sitting down or laying down. Our "living rooms" are outside!

Probably the biggest concern is getting a comfortable good night's sleep.

Check out this topic for bed sizes for these trailers, look especially at the charts provided by Brian_B-P: Bed Sizes
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Alan,
What wide body U-Haul units are you referring to? We have a 16' U-Haul VT made in 1986. Is this the size you mean or is there something out there we haven't seen ?

Kevin

Quote:
Hi - Alan W. here...I know you are lookng smaller...but we have the Scamp 19' 5th wheel, and the first issue I see is 6'4".
I, Alan, am 6'1" +/- and the side to side bed in the 5th is ADEQUATE.
Taller you would have to do a front to back sleeping style in a 5th, which moves the bath from front to side.

I suppose the other option would be to go "Cotton Hill" and have your shins removed.

I think you should give the U-Haul wide body units a serious look.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
What is the year of the car? Is this the car you would want to tow with? Or are you going to replace the car when you get the trailer?

Quote:
Harry,

Arthur's car is a Mercury Grand Marquee.

I drive a Chevy Minivan that is on it's way out.

Therefore we would use the Marquee if we get a trailer this year.

Gallina
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
What is the year of the car? Is this the car you would want to tow with? Or are you going to replace the car when you get the trailer?
The Grand Marquis is a mid-1990's. The minivan is 1999. We are replacing the minivan with another used minivan, 2007( or so ) this year. If we find the right deal on a trailer before that will use the Grand Marquis.
If we get the minivan before the trailer, the minivan will pull the trailer.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Arrow

Quote:

Gallina
I think about the longest bed is in the Egg Camper. It is 80" long, as long as the shorter person sleeps in the rear, where the curve of the trailer makes the bed a bit shorter. It is light weight, 2,000-2100# dry weight with AC, shower & toilet. The trailer's inside height also the tallest Egg, I believe. It is 16', back bumper to front hitch. Jim Palmer/Egg Camper is located in Michigan, maybe not too far to take a look...just a thought!
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #16

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
I think about the longest bed is in the Egg Camper. It is 80" long, as long as the shorter person sleeps in the rear, where the curve of the trailer makes the bed a bit shorter. It is light weight, 2,000-2100# dry weight with AC, shower & toilet. The trailer's inside height also the tallest Egg, I believe. It is 16', back bumper to front hitch. Jim Palmer/Egg Camper is located in Michigan, maybe not too far to take a look...just a thought!
The overall length of an EggCamper isn't 16', it is 17'. Inside height is 6' 7" (for real - I measured it). The curve on the back isn't very pronounced so your bed will be a true 80"+ all the way to the back. I have a 54" x 80" (8" thick) mattress in mine. The width is a bit tight as Jim specifies the width at 53" but the 54" fits. There is about a 3" gap on both ends of the mattress to the wall, and about a 3" gap near the center rear. The EggCamper also has much more floorspace in the living area than a Scamp or Casita. About the only other egg with anywhere near the same space is the Burro 17' widebody. And I don't think it has the same headroom.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
One 17ft Casita model features a rear dinette which converts to a KING or 2 twins - very nifty!
This Casita model is called "Liberty" and it's available in either the 17 ft. or the 16 ft. length.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have the Liberty .. Jim is 6'1" .. The Liberty bed can be a King, twins or full size. We started out using the bed as a King.. Soon discovered that when one needs to go to bed - the other has to too. No place to sit in the Liberty.

We changed our Liberty to twin beds and it is great. Jim can get up before me and I can stay in bed while he gets dressed, and makes his bed up. He then has a couch to sit on. We love this arrangement.

The beds are 80 inches long and we came up with a way to make them wider and still have the wider aisle during the day. Works for us and it only takes a couple of minutes to set the beds up. (Photo 1 shows one side original width - the other wider.)
Attached Thumbnails
Upton_Casita_Interior_low_res_04.jpg   Upton_Casita_Interior_low_res_11.jpg  

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper