Looking for an egg. Studying the info. - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 6
We thank you all for so much info.

We are long time 'tenters'. Ready to begin to look at egglike trailers.
Two early-sixties adults; Arthur is nearly 6'4" ( plus one old dog ).
Possible 13'. Expect to get a used one as our first.

Presently : reading opinions and experiences, most of the info here.

Thought we would check out trailers this camping season, yet have been researching this winter and now able to imagine us in many of the trailers pictured here.

Two purposes for our consideration.
First as woodsy home for two New Yorkers ( Queens ) one week a month (or so ) in the spring.summer.autumn seasons. The 13' length is appealing.

Second as home + studio ( + exterior stone carving studio ) for me ( alone ) on friend's property for periods of a month or so a few times a year. The 17' length would be better.

Reading Monica M's post and all the comments, I feel the same as she : I want our egg. Yet, will listen to all the reply posts, full of good advise. Patience. Patience.

We are early in the process. Hoping to go look at one 4/5 hours away ( if it is still available when we can go in two weeks ). A 1986Burro17' from this site, Rick F. D. in MA. Only 6'1" high interior.

So, Thank You all for sharing info, that gives us many answers. Now, I feel a part of a community.
We expect to keep it simple with equipment except for setting up solar panels.

Gallina
__________________

__________________
S.Gallina S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Posts: 134
Hi - Alan W. here...

I know you are lookng smaller...but we have the Scamp 19' 5th wheel, and the first issue I see is 6'4".
I, Alan, am 6'1" +/- and the side to side bed in the 5th is ADEQUATE.
Taller you would have to do a front to back sleeping style in a 5th, which moves the bath from front to side.


I suppose the other option would be to go "Cotton Hill" and have your shins removed.

I think you should give the U-Haul wide body units a serious look.





Quote:
We thank you all for so much info.

We are long time 'tenters'. Ready to begin to look at egglike trailers.
Two early-sixties adults; Arthur is nearly 6'4" ( plus one old dog ).
Possible 13'. Expect to get a used one as our first.

Presently : reading opinions and experiences, most of the info here.

Thought we would check out trailers this camping season, yet have been researching this winter and now able to imagine us in many of the trailers pictured here.

Two purposes for our consideration.
First as woodsy home for two New Yorkers ( Queens ) one week a month (or so ) in the spring.summer.autumn seasons. The 13' length is appealing.

Second as home + studio ( + exterior stone carving studio ) for me ( alone ) on friend's property for periods of a month or so a few times a year. The 17' length would be better.

Reading Monica M's post and all the comments, I feel the same as she : I want our egg. Yet, will listen to all the reply posts, full of good advise. Patience. Patience.

We are early in the process. Hoping to go look at one 4/5 hours away ( if it is still available when we can go in two weeks ). A 1986Burro17' from this site, Rick F. D. in MA. Only 6'1" high interior.

So, Thank You all for sharing info, that gives us many answers. Now, I feel a part of a community.
We expect to keep it simple with equipment except for setting up solar panels.

Gallina
__________________

__________________
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Post

Dear Gallina,

What would you be towing your dream fiberglass trailer with?

Harry
__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hoping to go look at one 4/5 hours away ( if it is still available when we can go in two weeks ). [b]A 1986 Burro 17' from this site, Rick F. D. in MA. Only 6'1" high interior.
Verify it with Rick, but I believe his Burro is a "Wide-Body". If so, the beds will be longer than a Scamp or Casita's beds. This may mitigate the stand-up height issue.

I'm only 5'6" so they're all good!
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 6
Harry,

Arthur's car is a Mercury Grand Marquee.

I drive a Chevy Minivan that is on it's way out.

Therefore we would use the Marquee if we get a trailer this year.

Gallina
__________________
S.Gallina S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
peterh's Avatar
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Posts: 1,519
Registry
We bought our 5er from a taller guy who could only sleep diagonally in the loft, precluding snoozing in the loft with his wife. He could, however, fit in the converted dinette, where the trailer is slightly wider.

We re-configured our 5er's loft to sleep front-to-back, so we have the best of both worlds: a permanent bed and an all-but-permanent dinette that only gets converted to a bed if we have company when we go camping.

Old Loft:
Click image for larger version

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__02_.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	17869

New Loft:

Name:   07Sep_Loft_300x225.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  89.7 KB
Attached Thumbnails
08Apr01_Pic_of_Closet_from_Loft_640x480.jpg  
__________________
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 6
Quote:
Verify it with Rick, but I believe his Burro is a "Wide-Body". If so, the beds will be longer than a Scamp or Casita's beds. This may mitigate the stand-up height issue.

I'm only 5'6" so they're all good!
Rick's Burro17' is a widebody and he used a queensize air mattress.
That is what we currently use in a tent.

Arthur has to walk/ move around inside to see how he feels. ( Perhaps A. can go bare foot; and we all have shrunk some in the past decades. )
__________________
S.Gallina S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
Regarding the 13' vs 16-17' issue, apparently you can foresee some times when you would value the extra space of the larger size. So even if you think that most times a 13' would be big enough, you're better off getting a larger one for those occasions when you need more. The weight difference between a 13' Scamp or Casita and that 17' Burro is probably only about 500 lb. so towing will be about the same. The extra width will not make a noticeable difference on your towing either IMHO. The extra 4' in length could be noticeable if you had a smaller, lighter tow vehicle than the Grand Marquis, but you don't. I do think you will be happy to have that extra width and length when you get to packing all your stuff away and living in the unit.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
We are long time 'tenters'. Ready to begin to look at egglike trailers.

Thought we would check out trailers this camping season, yet have been researching this winter and now able to imagine us in many of the trailers pictured here.
Gallina

If you are already camping, check out the [b]Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming)
forum for upcoming events you might be able to get to. There is usually one day reserved for trailer tours. Most of us will show our trailers off at almost any time.

Keep your eye on the for sale and referal forums for trailers in your area to see for yourself and make sure you bring the buyers check list in the documents area to familiarize yourself what you are looking for.

Good luck hunting.

Roy
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
David & Leslie's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Posts: 706
Hi, Gallina & Arthur

We are full-timing in our Scamp 13. I'm 5/7" - DH is 5'8 1/2" so standing straight is not an issue for us. Neither is the side-to-side bed, which remains made up a the bed (never use that space as a dinette). Since you are looking at used for your introduction to fiberglass (warning: once bitten, resistance IS futile!) please note the Scamp interior height (I believe) is only 5'10". After the factory fire 2 years ago, they redesigned the molds and added 4" to the interior height for the newer models.

The 17ft Burro is a neat unit. If the Grand Marquee can pull it, IMHO the height/rear bed issues would not be a deal-breaker. However, as you stated, a 3-D inspection and a walkaround for Arthur would be a must.

One 17ft Casita model features a rear dinette which converts to a KING or 2 twins - very nifty!

We wish you success in finding that 'just-right-for-you' Egg, and many, many happy memories! Take care, L 'n D
__________________
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” A. Einstein
David & Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I can understand the concern for standing upright in a trailer. But remember, there are those that are perfectly happy owning Tear Drop trailers.... and one needs to lay down to put clothes on in those! A 13' trailer has about 3-1/2 feet of floor space for total standing room. Other than getting dressed and maybe standing at the stove or sink, you'll spend 99% of your time either sitting down or laying down. Our "living rooms" are outside!

Probably the biggest concern is getting a comfortable good night's sleep.

Check out this topic for bed sizes for these trailers, look especially at the charts provided by Brian_B-P: Bed Sizes
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,115
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Alan,
What wide body U-Haul units are you referring to? We have a 16' U-Haul VT made in 1986. Is this the size you mean or is there something out there we haven't seen ?

Kevin

Quote:
Hi - Alan W. here...I know you are lookng smaller...but we have the Scamp 19' 5th wheel, and the first issue I see is 6'4".
I, Alan, am 6'1" +/- and the side to side bed in the 5th is ADEQUATE.
Taller you would have to do a front to back sleeping style in a 5th, which moves the bath from front to side.


I suppose the other option would be to go "Cotton Hill" and have your shins removed.

I think you should give the U-Haul wide body units a serious look.
__________________
Kevin A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Post

What is the year of the car? Is this the car you would want to tow with? Or are you going to replace the car when you get the trailer?

Quote:
Harry,

Arthur's car is a Mercury Grand Marquee.

I drive a Chevy Minivan that is on it's way out.

Therefore we would use the Marquee if we get a trailer this year.

Gallina
__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 6
Quote:
What is the year of the car? Is this the car you would want to tow with? Or are you going to replace the car when you get the trailer?
The Grand Marquis is a mid-1990's. The minivan is 1999. We are replacing the minivan with another used minivan, 2007( or so ) this year. If we find the right deal on a trailer before that will use the Grand Marquis.
If we get the minivan before the trailer, the minivan will pull the trailer.
__________________

__________________
S.Gallina S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eggcamper


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beachcomber info please darcy & doc General Chat 4 12-06-2016 08:46 AM
Ventura info. Russell B. General Chat 7 06-08-2009 04:44 PM
When and Where Info Nancy in Oregon Oregon Gatherings 0 11-14-2005 02:35 PM
Need Refrig Info Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 03-22-2003 11:50 AM
Vehicle Info General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Trailer Showcase

ECO

Suanne

Trillium

Thomas W
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.