Looking for camping spots up I-5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Fresno to Whidbey is about 965 miles. So I'm looking for something about 480 miles from Fresno. That would be about Medford, OR. I'm thinking of the one Gina mentioned, Valley of the Rogue. Any other suggestions? A bit further on would actually be good- I'd rather be higher up in case it is hot that day, and I'll likely drive further the first day, more like Grants Pass or Roseburg (I tend to leave before dawn on long trips.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
you can try Wolf Creek park.

It's kind of old, a bit unlevel, and rarely used, but in a pleasant spot just off I-5, north of GP.

Here are a few of the Josephine County Parks

Unfortunately, it's a dead zone for easy campgrounds between Roseburg and Salem of trying to stay close to I-5.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Wolf Creek CG is closed, they are having problems with people in the area and Josephine CO. is low on funds and the Sheriff doesn't have anyone to patrol the park.
Wolf Creek has always been a ruff area and I wouldn't stay their even with patrols.

Their is a Douglas Co. Park at ext. 99 just north of Seven Feathers on old Hwy 99, with trees and with hookups.
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kan ya maker to Shore Acres south west of Coos????
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry

How about 7-feathers? Gambling! We've found that Rogue Valley is usually the first cool place going north. They have electricity so you can use A/C. Not many miles from Grants Pass.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You can practically spit from Valley of the Rogue State Park to Grants Pass. The park is only about 15 miles east of Grants Pass.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Kan ya maker to Shore Acres south west of Coos????
I'm going up 5, not 101.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
You can practically spit from Valley of the Rogue State Park to Grants Pass. The park is only about 15 miles east of Grants Pass.
Yeah, I know where it is, but it is in the part that is still too warm if the weather is still warm next week. I'd like to be further north than that.

I have a sister in Eugene so one option is to pull up at her house- but that might be pushing how far I want to go in one day.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #9

Registry
Good to know about WC, Jay. Thanks. I won't stop there next trip. It was open last July, but pretty deserted.

Bobbie, I don't think you will have much trouble with heat this time of year at VoR. It's Oregon.. I don't think I have been uncomfortable there at any time of year.

Certainly is convenient and clean.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Good to know about WC, Jay. Thanks. I won't stop there next trip. It was open last July, but pretty deserted.

Bobbie, I don't think you will have much trouble with heat this time of year at VoR. It's Oregon.. I don't think I have been uncomfortable there at any time of year.

Certainly is convenient and clean.
Well the forecast for this tomorrow for Grants Pass is 97 but it is supposed to be 30 degrees cooler by Tuesday. However, those cool-down forecasts are notoriously bad so I'm still worried. I guess I can play it by ear- and if one place is full go on to the next. I like that one at VoR. We stop at the rest area there all the time.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
95 right now in Medford and over 100 tomorrow than going down into the mid 70s next week.
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Fresno to Whidbey is about 965 miles. So I'm looking for something about 480 miles from Fresno. That would be about Medford, OR. I'm thinking of the one Gina mentioned, Valley of the Rogue. Any other suggestions? A bit further on would actually be good- I'd rather be higher up in case it is hot that day, and I'll likely drive further the first day, more like Grants Pass or Roseburg (I tend to leave before dawn on long trips.)

Bobbie

How did this post end up on this topic? It was a separate topic and has nothing to do with the gathering on Whidbey.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
heres one not to far from whidby... Not sure how close you want to be before heading up there as far as hrs driving...
Millersylvania State park...

Located ten miles south of Olympia, Wash., on the state's western side.

From I-5:
Take exit #95. Drive east, and follow signs to park (about three miles northeast of the freeway).
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
heres one not to far from whidby... Not sure how close you want to be before heading up there as far as hrs driving...
Millersylvania State park...

Located ten miles south of Olympia, Wash., on the state's western side.

From I-5:
Take exit #95. Drive east, and follow signs to park (about three miles northeast of the freeway).
We used to camp there- in fact, that was the first place I ever camped, at the age of 6 months! The last time was with Girl Scouts around 1968. But its way too far from Fresno; if I got that far I'd just keep on going.
I'm going to stop south of Eugene or at my sister's in Eugene (the very latest would be at another sister's in Vancouver, Washington.)

When I go trailerless I do the long haul, Fresno to Whidbey, in one day. That's just easier than stopping overnight. But I figure averaging 55 I can't do that.

Bobbie
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #15

Registry
I ended up staying at the Valley of the Rogue campground. Very nice! I'll post some pics in the camping report when I either find my camera cord or buy a new one.

Saw gas prices all under $4 after leaving California- but not MUCH under $4.

Bobbie
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #16

Registry
it has the worlds cleanest public showers. LOL! THAT in itself makes it good.

I stayed there with three different trailers, two with no bath. Once was for almost a week. I have no problem using the facilities there.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
it has the worlds cleanest public showers. LOL! THAT in itself makes it good.

I stayed there with three different trailers, two with no bath. Once was for almost a week. I have no problem using the facilities there.
Yes, and the bathrooms are HEATED!! I also forgot to mention the nice trails to walk the dogs on along the river. I will definitely stay there again- it was a little more than halfway, which works well for me, and has WIFI ($3.99 for 24 hrs, which I"m willing to pay.) Lots of open green space. I was there on Tuesday night so it was very quiet.