Looking for purchase advice on a Travel Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Looking for purchase advice on a Travel Trailer

Hello all,

Im a long time reader/browser and figured I would join up and ask for some advice.

I am in the market for a fiberglass travel trailer. A couple of the items I must have is a bathroom/shower/AC as well as a unit that can house a full size Queen bed. I have a sleep number queen size bed in my current unit. The bed will be down / made 100% of the time.

It appears the following units are the only ones that could have a full size queen bed.

Bigfoot 25B25FB
Casita Liberty Standard/Deluxe (kingsize)

Currently I own a toyhauler that I purchased new in 2006. I have had the unit in 4 times for leak repair. I reseal this unit often but nothing seems to stop the problems so I am going to move to a molded fiberglass unit as from what I have read these are the units with the least amount of issues. All my kids have moved out so we no longer need a toyhauler. We can load the toys in the back of my truck and just haul a comfortable trailer instead.

I have also noticed that Fiberglass units appear to be shorter so thats a good thing as well because I can store it inside easier.

Ive noticed that almost all units have a tiny sink in the bathroom which to me is pointless as most of the time you cant even really use them. My wife and I typically use the kitchen sink. When we are out camping we are not typically in the trailer much at all. Its more of a place to clean up and sleep.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also weight of the trailer isnt a issue but I would prefer not to get a unit larger than 25ft. Ive looked at some airstream as well but I just cant help but think the fiberglass is the way to go.

Thank you
RobertH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking for purchase advice on a Travel Trailer

Big question: are you wanting to put a residential-style queen-size mattress in the trailer (as it sounds like your current unit may have), or are you simply wanting queen-size space? Molded fiberglass trailers are wonderful, but they're mostly smaller than traditionally-constructed trailers, and that entails some sacrifices.

The Bigfoot 25 involves the fewest livability sacrifices (it even has a dry bath, a rarity in molded fiberglass), but it's the biggest and heaviest among current molded fiberglass offerings.

The Oliver Legacy Elite II has a king-sized bed. Better-than-Airstream quality with lower-than-Airstream prices.

The Escape 19 and Lil Snoozy also have true queen-sized beds. Only drawback is they're both crawl-over (crossways) layouts.

The Casita Liberty will not have any sitting or dining space inside with the bed made up permanently.

If a fifth wheel design is a possibility, the Escape 5.0TA is worth a look. It has a lengthwise queen in the loft.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You have good choices but, at least in my world a new 25' BigFoot is a bit on the high side, but here is one that may fit your needs, a NEW 2013 for $69,600 CDN or about $50,400 USD might be the bargain of the day.
New 25.0' 2013 BIGFOOT 25B25FB TRAVEL TRAILER (7066) | RV National Listing Service

Ooops, that dealer ad is a year old and may be dead. sorry.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Currently I have a residential Sleep number queen size bed that I would prefer to be able to continue to use. Ive been looking at a Oliver or Escape as well. The bummer with the escapes is their build schedule is full for 2016. I have considered a Oliver as well but like the Bigfoot they seem to be higher end on cost.

I dont mind not having interior eat space if thats what it takes to get a unit at a decent price with my initial requirements. Im honestly surprised by the fact that most companies seem to make only 60x75 size or whats considered a standard RV size bed. I understand its so they can typically have the bed sideways thus saving room.

I have often thought about purchasing a old unit and then gutting and doing a custom design but alas its one of those times where it would be just another project tossed onto the pile of projects.

Often times the things manufacturers seem to overlook are size of the bathroom and size of the bed. When I go camping Im outside so much that when I go inside all I want is a comfortable bed and well a bathroom that allows me to wipe without having to have a bathroom door left open . Im not a large person I just have wide shoulders and I always find myself crowded by the vanity/sink in most units. Seems to me if they removed the unit and turned the toilet sideways on most units and centered it on the wall it would have plenty of space.

How many people feel they have to have that tiny sink in the bathroom? I cant be the only one that finds it nothing more than a waste of space or at best just another place to store stuff.

Oddly enough if they made a unit that had a queen size bed a large bathroom and very basics for a kitchen I would be a happy guy. Course this is nothing new right?

The escape 19 seems to be a great layout minus the fact that they felt the need again for that tiny sink and from what I understand you can get them to adjust some of what they do but alas their schedule always seems full.

Are there any escape owners that have done things like remove the sink or anyone for that matter that has removed items inside a Fiberglass trailer?

Being from the wood trailer side and having nothing but troubles Im curious if the fiberglass side is much better on avoiding leaks. Also since its all molded and items bolted/screwed to it is it easy to modify?

Has anyone looked at LivinLite trailers and do you think they would be able to avoid leaking problems as well as a fiberglass unit or do you think the walls would bubble like many others if they had leaks.
RobertH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You have good choices but, at least in my world a new 25' BigFoot is a bit on the high side....
My world, too…LOL! However, since the OP mentioned he was cross-shopping Airstreams, I felt justified in mentioning some of the higher-end molded options. I have seen a few used Bigfoot 25s come on the market at what I would consider moderate prices. Olivers, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
...Being from the wood trailer side and having nothing but troubles Im curious if the fiberglass side is much better on avoiding leaks...
Short answer is yes. Not only do you eliminate seams*, but you also eliminate the framework under the skin that can be quickly damaged when seams do leak. My 7-year-old Scamp is still leak-free without any maintenance other than replacing snap caps on the rivets. (*Technically, molded fiberglass trailers do have a seam where the upper and lower sections of the hull are joined together. Since the pieces are fiberglassed together, so-called "belly band" leaks seem to be rare.)

However, molded fiberglass trailers do have windows, vents, hatches, and through-hull fasteners. They also have interior plumbing like any RV. All those things require periodic maintenance to remain leak-free. Many have a wood subfloor than can rot and some, like Bigfoot, also have interior paneling and cabinetry that can be damaged by leaks. So it is still necessary to exercise due diligence when inspecting a used trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

To answer a few of your questions, FGRV's will have fewer leaks if only because they have fewer seams. A typical 24' sticky will have about 100+ feet of edge and top seams, and it's those edge seams that are the killers. Add to that, when a sticky gets a leak, it can do substantial structural damage inside of walls before it's detected. In FGRV's, leaks around windows and roof openings, if they do occur, usually only result in cosmetic damage. Just to mention, my now 41 y.o. Hunter Compact-II has never had any leaks that left any detectable damage, not even water stains on the original leatherette like interior. Ditto for the original top boot.

As far as opinions about stickys, there are only a very few hereabouts that can offer much in long term experiences on them. And, BTW: "LITE", as is often added to a trailers name, is a comparative value, usually only when compared to others of like construction.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
We bought a 17 Casita Independence this year and love just about everything in this trailer. Having spent about 17 weeks on the road during Mar, May, June, July and first part of Aug. I was able to work all the kinks out.

Regarding your question: we live outside most of time and would have felt cramped if we would have had to stay inside. I chose to shower outside as much as possible or use campground showers, so if there is an option for exterior showers, make it a priority.

Order vinyl flooring, no carpet! As you indicated, upgrade mattress.

We have high clearance and 15 " tires. This came in handy several times and makes towing easier.

Welcome and enjoy!
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #8

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I visit and read this site often. If I ever decide to trade in my current (non-molded fiberglass) travel trailer I might consider a FGRV.

In all my research I find that the fiberglass units often come up short on amenities and long on price.
Prices are much higher than standard travel trailers.
Bathrooms seem to be an after thought...often small. Same goes for the kitchen in most units. To be fair there are some larger units and 5th wheels that compare well with standard travel trailers but their prices are way more than what the folks here call stickies.

Sorry you had issues with roof leaks. The fiberglass units never leak (as per the true believers). Stick built units do have seams along the perimeter of the roof panel. All travel trailers have potential for leaks at roof vents, antenna mounts on the roof and air conditioners. Windows are another source for leaks on all travel trailers...none are perfect.

A note on sticky travel trailer construction...some have wood stud side wall framing..some use welded metal (aluminum) wall studs and roof truss material. Metal is best (no rot) get complete build specs on any travel trailer you buy. Study all the build specs and you will quickly educate yourself about all travel trailers. Most can be found on line.

Some manufacturers make several different quality lines...Jayco is a classic example of such a manufacturer.
Their "entry level" units have wood stud frames...their better grades feature all metal...big difference!!

If you want a superior mattress in a fiberglass TT you might be better off remodeling a unit to fit exactly what you want. The manufacturers of the stickies do supply better mattresses and very nice bathroom facilities.

I have owned 3 sticky travel trailers dating back to 1985. I have never had a roof leak...Lucky ?? perhaps. Not all sticky type travel trailers are created equal.
No matter what unit you think you want to buy take the time to research the track records on a lot of websites. Here you will get opinions on molded fiberglass units. If you visit sites like: irv2.com. you will get more info on travel trailers in general.

For the best values try to shop lightly used units. Find someone who has been around travel trailers for many years to assist you. When buying used follow a check list for buying used. The lists can be found on every RV website you visit.
You can save thousands. Find a unit with a layout that works for you and one that has a weight you can tow safely.

Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: casita
Indiana
We recently purchased a Travel Lite 19ft Cobblestone model after having had 2 Casitas. The sleeping facilities & shower/bathrooms just weren`t big enough. Our Travel lite has a queen size walk around bed with a small night stand on each side, which possibly could be elinated to make room for your sleep number bed. Not sure of the actual size, but they said it is a queen & the queen sheets fit it. We also have a shower in bathroom with a small vanity. They are made in New Paris Indiana. Very small company. However we were looking for a 2014 yr & that model & ended up buying it in Tenn. last March 31st. We really like it. It also has a small dinette which could be used for a small child to sleep or just to eat at & has storage under the seats & under the bed. They have a website so you could check it out online.
lhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowdy View Post
We recently purchased a Travel Lite 19ft Cobblestone model after having had 2 Casitas. They have a website so you could check it out online.
Their website states wooden framing (aka stickie.) Their weight specs didn't make sense to me. If you subtract the Unloaded weight rating from the GVWR, you only have room for 190 pounds of cargo - and water is about 8 pounds per gallon!

From the Travel Lite Website:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight Rating: 3,310 pounds
Cargo Carrying Capacity: 915 pounds
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3500 pounds

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I have a short queen sleep number that fit in the 5.0. The TA has room for a full queen, but the short queen is easier to make up with the extra length.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Bathroom sink

I believe that I've seen mention over on the Escape forums of folks who have had Escape leave out the sink.

[QUOTE=RobertH;563017] Im not a large person I just have wide shoulders and I always find myself crowded by the vanity/sink in most units. Seems to me if they removed the unit and turned the toilet sideways on most units and centered it on the wall it would have plenty of space.

How many people feel they have to have that tiny sink in the bathroom? I cant be the only one that finds it nothing more than a waste of space or at best just another place to store stuff.

The escape 19 seems to be a great layout minus the fact that they felt the need again for that tiny sink and from what I understand you can get them to adjust some of what they do but alas their schedule always seems full.

Are there any escape owners that have done things like remove the sink or anyone for that matter that has removed items inside a Fiberglass trailer?
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #13

As mentioned, new and used FGRV's are priced higher, and sometimes a lot higher, than even larger stick-builts. New FGRV's are all being built in limited production quantities, and used ones command a price often 2-4 times over comparable conventional construction units. And... as many on here, including myself, will attest, it is fairly easy to buy a used FGRV, use it for 3-4 years and sell it at about the same or an even high price. There must be a reason for that as well.

My good friend across the street from me has an 8 year old 28' toy-hauler that is so big that my Hunter will fit inside. He keeps me busy doing repairs on his rig before every trip they take. Between wiring, plumbing & furnace problems and cracked sealants, it can almost become a full time job. In short, it's starting to wear out.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #14

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
I would go to some rallys and look at the units there and talk to the owners.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Buying I agree with you on the sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
Hello all,

Im a long time reader/browser and figured I would join up and ask for some advice.

I am in the market for a fiberglass travel trailer. A couple of the items I must have is a bathroom/shower/AC as well as a unit that can house a full size Queen bed. I have a sleep number queen size bed in my current unit. The bed will be down / made 100% of the time.

It appears the following units are the only ones that could have a full size queen bed.

Bigfoot 25B25FB
Casita Liberty Standard/Deluxe (kingsize)

Currently I own a toyhauler that I purchased new in 2006. I have had the unit in 4 times for leak repair. I reseal this unit often but nothing seems to stop the problems so I am going to move to a molded fiberglass unit as from what I have read these are the units with the least amount of issues. All my kids have moved out so we no longer need a toyhauler. We can load the toys in the back of my truck and just haul a comfortable trailer instead.

I have also noticed that Fiberglass units appear to be shorter so thats a good thing as well because I can store it inside easier.

Ive noticed that almost all units have a tiny sink in the bathroom which to me is pointless as most of the time you cant even really use them. My wife and I typically use the kitchen sink. When we are out camping we are not typically in the trailer much at all. Its more of a place to clean up and sleep.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also weight of the trailer isnt a issue but I would prefer not to get a unit larger than 25ft. Ive looked at some airstream as well but I just cant help but think the fiberglass is the way to go.

Thank you
Way to small and also use the kitchen sink for sponge baths, wash hair save on water etc.
Queen bed is nice but if double u end up having more fun. Heck our queen bed I never see the wife except when she steals the blankies and it is -15*C outside. We have real nice heavy down comforter when we had double bed we had way more fun now is queen no so much but could have a lot to do with age. We also did not let the dog up with us. Dog had to sleep where ever she found a good spot.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: casita
Indiana
We don`t fill the water tank full when we go camping, only maybe 1/2 full & I cut down on weight by using mostly paper/plastic disposable plates, silverware, etc. We pull it with a Chrysler Town/Country van with the towing pkg. without any problems so far. I think our van says we can tow 3500lbs. if I remember right.
lhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
IHowdy, man we load it to the hilt and live in comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowdy View Post
We don`t fill the water tank full when we go camping, only maybe 1/2 full & I cut down on weight by using mostly paper/plastic disposable plates, silverware, etc. We pull it with a Chrysler Town/Country van with the towing pkg. without any problems so far. I think our van says we can tow 3500lbs. if I remember right.
: one needs as much home comfort as possible when on the road for 3-4 months out of the year, sometimes just missing a Tornado is exciting. We pack 60 Gallons of Water, 75 gallons of gas and in the hold another 50 bottles of real good drinking water right from the tap. Because down the road the 60 gallons is gone and were back to the tap water then it is gone then were back to bottle crap. Not many places in the world have water like British Columbia has where u can drink from the tap.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Another advantage and a caution

Another advantage to FG vs Stick-built is the aerodynamics. FG not only saves on gas but is not as subject to side winds. I remember seeing a video of a large RV being blown over.

Caution if you try to remodel be aware that on many FG rigs, the interior is part of the structure, sort of like an egg carton.

Good luck in your quest and welcome to FGRV.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
lilo snoozy

You can buy a Lil Snoozy without any furniture because it's 3/8-3/4 in thick so it does not need furniture for structure . They call it a Lil Hauley Then one could make your own furniture or cabinets ? We have a Lil Snoozy for over 2 years no leaks anywhere . ( except for cassette toilet we fixed the blue hose and never had a leak after that )
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #20

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Unfortunately if they have the front door they tend to crack from the rear "corner" across the top.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote