Looking to buy 1993 Bigfoot. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
of a 97 with original springs....and "axel flipped" (I think) by a previous owner

second picture is of new, beefier springs (six leafs instead of five)...

third picture where/how it sits now....still on 14" tires....
Did you change the springs and or axle yourself?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #16

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
more often than not....

spring/axle work is a b***ch of a job for the usual backyard mechanic....often a cutting torch is required, the components having "welded" themselves together over years.....

Just what I think....and I used to work in the business....a spring/axle shop is all set up for the challenges....and they are quick (low labour component)....YMMV

on the ground clearance front, yes my axle is still the same distance from the ground...but the main goal of all this was/is to increase the height of the frame so the back bumper doesn't make contact with the ground....as for running off-road, I do it all the time and the logging roads are mostly flat side to side....it's not as if I'm going to be running on roads with deep ruts or steer around boulders....if things get that bad I'll park the trailer and just take the TV over such terrain.....when in doubt I'll unload the electric bike and go scout out the road up ahead....making sure there's at least a turn-around spot available somewhere up ahead
Attached Thumbnails
gbpp.jpg   gravel2.jpg  

Old 07-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #17

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Jack do you happen to recall the size of the axle (in length) that you purchased. I'm in Spokane and there are several axle distributors around here. You are correct that at that price I may as well go with a new axle if going through the hassle of changing it to begin with. From your post I'm assuming you did the work yourself, was it a tough job or fairly easy? Thanks
I'm sorry, I can't find the original receipt. Keep in mind that yours could be different from others. I believe Six Roblees has a warehouse in Spokane and they should have what you need off the shelf. Other shops are Dexter dealers but they probably get the axle from Six Roblees and mark it up some. As far as difficulty, I thought it was pretty easy. Some physical labor, but not too much for me and I have bad knees. Some very simple welding is required.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Jack do you happen to recall the size of the axle (in length) that you purchased. I'm in Spokane and there are several axle distributors around here. You are correct that at that price I may as well go with a new axle if going through the hassle of changing it to begin with. From your post I'm assuming you did the work yourself, was it a tough job or fairly easy? Thanks
I found the original receipt. The Dexter part # is TS3585EZ. It is a 3500# axle with 85" hub face to hub face. I paid $99.47 for the axle with spring seats that had to be welded to the tube. U bolt kit and other necessary small parts ran the total to $148.55. These prices were in effect 4 years ago. Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I found the original receipt. The Dexter part # is TS3585EZ. It is a 3500# axle with 85" hub face to hub face. I paid $99.47 for the axle with spring seats that had to be welded to the tube. U bolt kit and other necessary small parts ran the total to $148.55. These prices were in effect 4 years ago. Hope this helps.

Thank you! Every little bit of info helps!!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #20

Registry
Jack did you go over mount or under mount?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #21

Washington
Quote:
Jack did you go over mount or under mount?
I mounted the axle above the springs. My feeling is that under the springs would be much too high for anyone unless they wanted to do some serious, hard core off road camping. Also I would be concerned with wind resistance and less stability on the road.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #22

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I mounted the axle above the springs. My feeling is that under the springs would be much too high for anyone unless they wanted to do some serious, hard core off road camping. Also I would be concerned with wind resistance and less stability on the road.
Thank you! As I said all info is good info! By the way where in Washington are you located?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #23

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yeah you don't want a straight axle and sprung over. I mean you can do what you want, but that would not only be overkill, it would make the trailer less stable, really hard to get into, and cause way more wind drag. It's already going to sit pretty high up above your truck.

I went with a straight axle and springs below the axle. What I've found is that if I need more height than that to get down a road...I don't want to be going down that road.

The cost for a new axle and installation was pretty reasonable. I just did it last spring. Just make sure to use a trailer shop, not an RV shop.

Mine was also cheaper because even though I didn't want to, I kept the old springs. For whatever reason, the guy at the shop didn't want to weld my frame. It's a pretty thin frame and I think he just didn't want to mess with it. So I've got a new axle but the original springs.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #24

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Karen,
Your question will probably have more looks and responses if you start a new thread. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Yeah you don't want a straight axle and sprung over. I mean you can do what you want, but that would not only be overkill, it would make the trailer less stable, really hard to get into, and cause way more wind drag. It's already going to sit pretty high up above your truck.

I went with a straight axle and springs below the axle. What I've found is that if I need more height than that to get down a road...I don't want to be going down that road.

The cost for a new axle and installation was pretty reasonable. I just did it last spring. Just make sure to use a trailer shop, not an RV shop.

Mine was also cheaper because even though I didn't want to, I kept the old springs. For whatever reason, the guy at the shop didn't want to weld my frame. It's a pretty thin frame and I think he just didn't want to mess with it. So I've got a new axle but the original springs.

Not to be nosey but when you say cheap what am I looking at for the package installed? I have the option of mounting the old axle under the springs and give me the lift I need to use my new 15" tires and wheels. Or I could buy a straight axle with hubs, and bearings and try to do it myself for $148 (includes new U Bolts etc). Or do like you did and just have it done.

Tags
bigfoot