Looking to buy and for advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm new to the forum and have been looking to buy a Fiberglass trailer. We went to the Oliver factory, which is close buy, and they are built really well and have a lot of nice features. The only downside is the Deluxe model cost $ 28,000. Today we looked at a '05 Casita Liberty Deluxe that was in great shape and had a lot of extras like the screened in room for the canopy. But, they were asking 14,000. I received a brochure from Casita that says they are having a sale. All '17 Deluxe models are $ 13,924. I always like to buy used cars so I don't take the intial hit of a dealership's markup. So, I naturaly feel the same about an RV. It seems like people are asking too much for used Casitas. Any advice on my best buy or how much should I be willing to pay for a used Casita?
Odie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Odie, you've posted the sale on Casitas several times. What you've not noticed is the options. Those are often the creature comforts, not the bare bones models. For instance this is the options list for the Spirit Deluxe... not included in the sale price:
• 25 Gallon Fresh Water Tank
Upgrade -17' model only
Furnace - 12000 BTU
Awning
• Interior Convenience Package
Range Cover
Sink cover
TV antenna with amplifier
TV Shelf
110 Volt Outlet
Cable Ready
• Accessory Package
Water Hose
Bubble Levels
Blow-out Plug
Water Pressure Regulator
Hitch Lock
• Sway Bar
• Fantastic Roof Vent w/Reverse
Microwave - 17' models only
• Outside Shower
(Spirit & Liberty models only)
• Water Heater Upgrade
• Highlift Axle
• Vinyl flooring

all this affects the price. I suggest you add up the prices of the options you want (I believe a screen room runs close to $500 for instance) and see if the price of a well-maintained trailer is more in line for the value.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Odie B., the price they are quoting is like a base price on the deluxe model. Once you start putting in the other options you can get the price over $16,000, close to $17,000. So, depending on the options it may be a decent price, especially if you consider the price of gas to get to Texas, taxes, the hotel stay, the camping fees to stay and make sure everyting is in good working order, it is may be a good price.

Some of the things people add on are, vinyl flooring, electric jack, outside shower, microwave, larger fresh water tank, fan for fridge, high rise axle, upgraded water heater, inside convenience pack, etc. These items can be had at significant savings on a nice used model. You must really compare apples to apples. Hope this helps explain the pricing. Terry
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Oops, Donna D must have been typing faster than I was. Sorry for repeating. Terry
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thanks, Terry. Nothing like the voice of experience!

I posted this in response to Odie's post in Lee's ad (in our For Sale section), but I'll add it here for the benefit of others who may be reading General Chat only:

Casita Enterprises, Inc. "having a sale" is pretty much business as usual.

I don't know why they do it that way, but every price list I have ever seen from them says it is a "sale" price. There's not anything wrong with that, and I'm not criticizing them for it - just pointing out that it's always written on their price lists.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: The words "Sale Price" usually mean to me that whatever is there for sale!!! Not "ON SALE" Reduced price is an entirely different kettle o' fish.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Just because you don't want pay market price for a used Casita doesn't mean that they're over-priced. NADA is notoriously low on fiberglass trailers. Fiberglass trailers depreciate less than just about anything else, and after a certain age may even appreciate. While a travel trailer isn't usually an "investment" as defined by appreciating value, some in fact do. They will all return a larger portion of their purchase price at any age than any stick built trailer out there.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft

Buy the Casita new. I looked for a used one for a good while
before I bought a new one 2 years ago. If you buy new you
can choose which options you want.
Casita and Scamp do not depreciate in value.

On the other hand, if you find a used one you like, there isn't
much difference between it and a new one.

DrifterDan

Quote:
I'm new to the forum and have been looking to buy a Fiberglass trailer. We went to the Oliver factory, which is close buy, and they are built really well and have a lot of nice features. The only downside is the Deluxe model cost $ 28,000. Today we looked at a '05 Casita Liberty Deluxe that was in great shape and had a lot of extras like the screened in room for the canopy. But, they were asking 14,000. I received a brochure from Casita that says they are having a sale. All '17 Deluxe models are $ 13,924. I always like to buy used cars so I don't take the intial hit of a dealership's markup. So, I naturaly feel the same about an RV. It seems like people are asking too much for used Casitas. Any advice on my best buy or how much should I be willing to pay for a used Casita?
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'm sure you've been watching the boards (here, 2 Casita forums, Craigslist, etc.) and have noticed that used molded fiberglass trailers hold their value very well, and usually sell very quickly. Although this may go "against the grain" as a prospective buyer, you'll appreciate it as an owner!
In comparing new trailer pricing, it's important to make a list of options you really want, and price the whole list plus the base price of a new trailer. What a base trailer includes, from brand to brand, can be vary widely.
Good luck with your search, and hope you find exactly what you're looking for!
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One pays what it's worth to YOU not what some possibly fictitious 'market price' might be.

I know NADA uses formulas to calculate the used prices and I suspect they are using the stick-built RV market depreciation price formulas. I believe they don't even show values after ten market years and there are plenty of Eggs from the '70s still running around.

Ya Pays Yer Money and Ya Takes Yer Choice!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote