Looking to upsize - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking to upsize

Afternoon all

My wife and i have a 76 13' Foot Trillium and love it,"The Pod" as we call it, is perfect for what we want from a trailer, perfect that is until we had twins 10 months ago.....

We like the generally quirky look to most fiberglass trailers but, as our last outing showed us, we need a little more space.

We were thinking of something around the 17 or 19-ish foot length preferably with a floorplan that allows the girls to go to bed while mum and dad stay up and play cards.
We've seen a few Oxygens on the road and love the looks and thanks to a great you tube post from one of the members the interior seems spot on. Of course it would seem that we like a unit that is both rare and maybe priced a little out of our range.

If anyone has thoughts or reccomendations it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Andrew
andrew ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #2

If I was you I think I would look for a 17ft Bigfoot. The last one i saw had a corner bed with bunk above. Bunk could be made secure with a safety rail type of thing. You would still have Table to play cards or whatever.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Check out the 19' Escape. It has a bedroom at one end and a dinette that makes into a bed at the other end. The kitchen and bathroom are in the middle. This gives privacy and access to the bathroom for occupants of both beds. If we still camped with our kids this would be on our short list of campers.
Attached Thumbnails
19-foot.gif  
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
You certainly have several very good choices. Best bet is to try to find several of the models your interested in and personally take a look at them, Often times, the manufacturers have a list of owners complete with addresses that will allow you to see their units.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Andrew, your profile states your location is "Western." That doesn't tell me much, but if you're within driving distance of Sweet Home, Oregon come out to the NOG next weekend and view a bunch of trailers. Seeing is believing!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-40089.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Andrew, your profile states your location is "Western." That doesn't tell me much, but if you're within driving distance of Sweet Home, Oregon come out to the NOG next weekend and view a bunch of trailers. Seeing is believing!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-40089.html
Donna, a quick 'snoop' reveals that Andrew is located in western B.C. (Vancouver Island, it says). So, Andrew, you don't state what year of a 'larger' trailer you might be interested in, but I DO have a hot-rod friend living in Mackenzie (mid-central)B.C. that has a NICE 17ft Boler for sale (with bathroom too, BTW!).
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew ferguson View Post
We were thinking of something around the 17 or 19-ish foot length preferably with a floorplan that allows the girls to go to bed while mum and dad stay up and play cards.
I think that either the 17' or the 19' Escape Trailer would work for your situation. While the 17' comes with a rear dinette/double bed standard and optional bunks up front; IIRC one buyer custom ordered his 19' with convertible bed/dinettes at both ends, even though the standard is a permanent Queen bed in back.

I spoke with Tammy at the 2009 Oregon Gathering when they displayed the 19' for the 1st time. I asked her about privacy for each bed area, and she said they already had requests for accordion type doors to close off each sleeping area. She said they could easily accommodate this modification at the factory.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The 19' Scamp 5ers can work well, too. There's the loft, which makes a great out-of-the-way playroom when it's not being used as a bed, the gaucho sofa converts into a bunk bed (which you have to craw over to get to the loft), and the dinette, of course, can be dropped down to a bed, too. Lots of room to take two kids with a friend each.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #9

andrew,
were you thinking new or used?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
We were in a similar situation 30 - 35 years ago -- not twins, but a boy and then a girl about 2 years apart. Our 13 ft Compact Jr. was obviously too small, so we cleaned it up and sold it at a marginal profit.

At that time fiberglass rvs were not available as they are today, so we ended up with a 20 ft Streamline. It seemed like a mansion for about 8 - 10 years and we used it a lot. But as the kids grew and needed more of their own things we began to look again.

A 26ft Avion then came into our possession. Then when the kids left home, we downsized again to a 16 ft Scamp. It has worked so well, we think it may just finish us out!

So, my advice is to be thankful you live in a free and prosperous country where you can afford the necessities of life and a few luxuries. You can buy and sell with relative ease, which allows the opportunity to "have what you want" and "want what you have". Spend your money well and you will live well. Good luck.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. Drove home Spring 2009!)
Andrew, Good info here in this thread if not seen it yet. It was helpful to me when I was looking to buy.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ans-24745.html
reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote