Lost my scamp 19 to fire. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Lost my scamp 19 to fire.

Well the bad is we lost our 19 foot scamp 5th wheel to a devastating fire. Nothing but frame rails left. The good, I have a fiberglass truck bed camper that I have never seen on the forum. Now I have a reason to start the restore on it. It is called a Ford American Roads. It was made by starcraft for 1 year only. 1973. Less that one thousand made. Here are a few pics. I am lucky and have found all the original paperwork and manual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1448891958714.jpg   1448891979425.jpg  

1448892032073.jpg   1448892051370.jpg  

1448892069142.jpg  
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
One door closes, another opens! Great project. Be sure to take before & after photos.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sorry for your loss, but happy for your gain. What an awesome find!

Have fun during what I'm certain is going to be an enjoyable restoration.
Jody Himebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I lost a tremendous amount of "things" when our pole barn went up in flames the middle of the night over Memorial Day weekend. Almost lost both the house and the egg, but our 15# schnoodle woke us up and saved the day.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 16 ft Scamp
That's awesome looking!
Darrin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Very nice find, from the measurements on the floor plan it looks like you got a lot more room in that thing than we do in our 13' Boler! Just curious, how much does that sucker weigh?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

The manual that came with it says 2,900 pounds. I do not have a truck large enough to use as a truck bed camper so I am going to build a custom double axle trailer for is and use the space under the front bed and enclose it for a huge storage area for table chairs and coolers. At least that is the plan for now.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There is some information on the internet that indicates the Ford American Road units were extremely well built high end units. You have a real gem there.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Thanks Jack L. I have registered mine on the ford American road page a gentleman started. A few of use have done so. And yes they say they were way ahead of the times for 73. Mine is number 617 or close to it, I forget the exact number right now. But thay is out of only a thousand or so built. Only one year. I can tell you dor sure the shell is built like a tank. No cracks or spider webbing anywhere that I can see.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #10

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Truck camper

How great is this camper! It takes the sting out of your loss I hope, especially if you had insurance. Enjoy!
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath G. View Post
The manual that came with it says 2,900 pounds. I do not have a truck large enough to use as a truck bed camper so I am going to build a custom double axle trailer for is and use the space under the front bed and enclose it for a huge storage area for table chairs and coolers. At least that is the plan for now.

Hi: Heath G... Sorry about the Scamp. Fire is final... but seems you're onto phase two already!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sorry to hear about the 19 Heath. What caused the fire? I put a small cabover on a truckbed trailer long ago. It worked out fine and your cargo trailer is a lot lower than the set up I had.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
those are quite common in British Columbia

Quote:
Well the bad is we lost our 19 foot scamp 5th wheel to a devastating fire. Nothing but frame rails left. The good, I have a fiberglass truck bed camper that I have never seen on the forum. Now I have a reason to start the restore on it. It is called a Ford American Roads. It was made by starcraft for 1 year only. 1973. Less that one thousand made. Here are a few pics. I am lucky and have found all the original paperwork and manual

: maybe not that make but quite a few companies build almost alike that one. One needs a 34 to 1 ton truck to carry all that weight, to hard on a half ton or short box.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:56 AM   #14

Hi Alf. Nice to hear from you and thanks. Going to take a ton of work but should be worth it. I think the worst part was lost all my hunting gear that my wife got me for our anniversary. But it is all just stuff. We had it parked at a family friends hunting cabin. The cabin had a chimney fire that started on a day the wind was blowing around 50 mph. Blew the flame right over the camper. Lost the cabin amd the camper in one shot.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:59 AM   #15

Here is a before and after of the camper fire

Attached Thumbnails
1448967459561.jpg   1448967494968.jpg  

1448967515827.jpg   1448967549827.jpg  

Old 12-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I do not have a truck large enough to use as a truck bed camper so I am going to build a custom double axle trailer...
Heath, sorry to hear of your loss.

If you are building a custom trailer, why not consider making it a 5th wheel type. Your first picture

Almost had me thinking of the Quantum5 posted here.

Is there anything salvageable off the old Scamp frame? Even to use as a template/guide?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #17

Yes the front part of the frame that would go under the bed with the hitch on it and the legs that crank up and down are all still good I am thinking about doing just that

Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Heath I sure hope it was insured.

Quote:
Hi Alf. Nice to hear from you and thanks. Going to take a ton of work but should be worth it. I think the worst part was lost all my hunting gear that my wife got me for our anniversary. But it is all just stuff. We had it parked at a family friends hunting cabin. The cabin had a chimney fire that started on a day the wind was blowing around 50 mph. Blew the flame right over the camper. Lost the cabin amd the camper in one shot.

: this is when insurance is so important but most people think it will never happen to me and Voila look what happened.
Same thing for People who live in apartments they get out but the rest of their belongings don't and they did not buy the $300 a year package insurance deal.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #19

Well unfortunately, it was parked at the cabin all year so didn't think I needed insurance because it would have been covered under home owner if this were to happen. Never thought the homeowners woukd not have had ins.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #20

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Well unfortunately, it was parked at the cabin all year so didn't think I needed insurance because it would have been covered under home owner if this were to happen. Never thought the homeowners woukd not have had ins.

Sadly insurance on rural properties that are a long way away from emergency services can be very expensive because the remoteness adds to the risk. I have met people in rural Idaho and Alaska with properties that have no fire insurance. The premium would be about half the market value of the structure or more per year, because it would take well over an hour for the fire department to arrive. In both cases the property owners asked us to be very careful around the property. I Like being in remote places but the risk of fire, injury and bears is always on m mind. I'm sorry for your loss. In reality it could happen to any of us.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp