low cost tv antenna (digital) - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #1

Name: James & Debra
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
low cost tv antenna (digital)

Hi dose any body have any good advise on low coast rv tv antennas on my old trailer we used a expandable pole (kinda like a pool skimmer pole)and I thought I'd do the same thing again (semipermanent) but I don't know which of the cheaper antenna heads is worth buying ? and dose A booster help that much ? if so which one ? Thank You Jim W.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I have been using a Amazon.com: Lava HD-2605 UHF/VHF HDTV Antenna with Remote Control: Electronics
Lava 2605 with very good results for long range reception out here in the desert, 150 miles from Phoenix and 90 miles from Yuma.

The performance is grand, but there are a couple caveats.

1. It requires set up. Not quite as elegant as the wingard that cranks up from the inside of your rig and pointable from in there..you have to erect it on a pole and set the pole somehow.

Being in a semi permanent situation, this is not an issue for me, but if you want a "travel" and use everyday set up, this may not be your best option.

2. It requires 110v if you want to use the motor function. I have switched the power supply to run just the head (Booster) off of 12v only and rotate the head by hand.

3. At first glance, it does not appear very durable. Its plastic, almost all air and the fins are thin. Mine has endured 50 mile an hour gusts, rain and the sand of the desert with no ill effects, however.

That said, I find this guy very useful and its performance matches or is even better than the winegard. It weighs almost nothing, does not require trailer modification and you can't really beat the price.

btw, antennas are not digital.. thats smoke and mirrors. "Digital" antennas are just Uhf/VHF ones, engineered for optimal signal collection. You can get decent digital TV off a set of rabbit ears with UHF if you are in a strong reception area.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Gina, at first glance it looks like some sort of garden tiller or a combo between a metal spatula and a rake, LOL!! I'd of never guessed it was an antenna!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #4

Name: James & Debra
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I have been using a Amazon.com: Lava HD-2605 UHF/VHF HDTV Antenna with Remote Control: Electronics
Lava 2605 with very good results for long range reception out here in the desert, 150 miles from Phoenix and 90 miles from Yuma.

The performance is grand, but there are a couple caveats.

1. It requires set up. Not quite as elegant as the wingard that cranks up from the inside of your rig and pointable from in there..you have to erect it on a pole and set the pole somehow.

Being in a semi permanent situation, this is not an issue for me, but if you want a "travel" and use everyday set up, this may not be your best option.

2. It requires 110v if you want to use the motor function. I have switched the power supply to run just the head (Booster) off of 12v only and rotate the head by hand.

3. At first glance, it does not appear very durable. Its plastic, almost all air and the fins are thin. Mine has endured 50 mile an hour gusts, rain and the sand of the desert with no ill effects, however.

That said, I find this guy very useful and its performance matches or is even better than the winegard. It weighs almost nothing, does not require trailer modification and you can't really beat the price.

btw, antennas are not digital.. thats smoke and mirrors. "Digital" antennas are just Uhf/VHF ones, engineered for optimal signal collection. You can get decent digital TV off a set of rabbit ears with UHF if you are in a strong reception area.
Thank You 4 the good advice Jim W
Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look here for low cost antennas and some very similar to the Amazon one.

Heartland America: Search Results For ANTENNA
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Nice report, Gina. I know that it is just a UHF/VHF antenna but why, as in their advertising, would someone pay extra for an analog converter? Just because of the smoke 'n mirrors????
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #7

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
You need a digital converter box if you have an older TV with an analog tuner. The analog tuner will not read digital signals. The box just takes over the tuners job from the one in the TV.

Frankly, its not that much more expensive to just go out and get a new TV these days, if you are talking trailer sized ones.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #8

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink To continue using an analog TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
why .. would someone pay extra for an analog converter?
I am not so enamored of flat screen digital TV's that I want to go out and buy one, when I have 4 perfectly functional cathode-ray-tube TV sets. I've had a 13" TV/VCR in my trailer(s) for over 10 years, which works well with an analog converter tuner box and the existing antenna.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Well if you go buy a new flat screen be sure to get LCD, the Plasma ones don't like temperature changes.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #10

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Well if you go buy a new flat screen be sure to get LCD, the Plasma ones don't like temperature changes.
Not really an issue or option,there are no Plasma's smaller than 37".

Gina that thing looks like some kind of "Death Ray" of course I want one now!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I think plasmas don't like altitude as well.

The magic of the LCD is they are very light, draw little power and can fit in out of the way places.

Norm
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
This is the one I am looking at

JACK Aftermarket Antenna

It has 12VDC/0.10 amp power and it manually rotates. It's MUCH smaller than those big Wingman things. I bought one of those and had to return it because it took over.

you can find it online for $130 or so.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
This is the one I am looking at

JACK Aftermarket Antenna

It has 12VDC/0.10 amp power and it manually rotates. It's MUCH smaller than those big Wingman things. I bought one of those and had to return it because it took over.

you can find it online for $130 or so.
Matt this looks intreasting. Do you know anyone that has actually used one of these? The only draw back for me that I can see is it sits up about 11" and no way to put down?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #14

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Matt this looks intreasting. Do you know anyone that has actually used one of these? The only draw back for me that I can see is it sits up about 11" and no way to put down?
I got one and used it at the recent Scamp Camp for the first time.
I got the plain jane model that is about 2" thick and mounted on my own mast but it was under $50.00 too.

At home it worked better for me than the Sensar did and so I returned the sensar.
In Sebring I was able to get as many stations as most others there but they came and went throughout the day and night again as they did for everyone.

Of course I was able to get the Superbowl Pre-Game and then it went dark just before the game?
I ended up watching at a huge Bus that had placed multiple sets outside,it was fun and the Tree-Rats enjoyed pelting us all through the game too.

Overall I was satisfied with it but I am still experimenting ,trying to get better range.....and the Jack has no "Death Ray" feature so it may not work for me in the long run.