Lower back support - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Lower back support

Did you ever get to the point where your back started bothering you after a day of driving and you'd like to go just a little further before you stopped for the night?
Did you ever sit back in a corner of the bed in your little camper ready to relax and read a book, play a game, or watch a video, only to find that you just can't quite arrange things in a comfortable way because you need just a little more lower back support?
Does the dog complain if you try to use him for a lumbar cushion?
Well, I have a surprising solution for you, one which you will scoff at until you try it! It's adjustable! It's free and disposable!
Take that empty 2-Liter pop bottle with the lid tightly installed and position it for lumbar support. If it is a little firm you can carefully loosen and retighten the lid while it is in position, to soften it.
Try it ...It really works! If you disagree, don't forget to recycle!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hmm, I suppose that certainly could give the back some support.

Some years ago, an experienced older doctor told me that lower back pain generally (barring injury or something) arises when the stomach muscles are not well enough in shape and therefore are not supporting the back properly. He told me to exercise the stomach muscles by lying flat on the floor and tensing my stomach muscles such that my lower back pushes toward the floor, and holding it for 10 or 15 seconds (rest, repeat). Or, by lying flat and slowly raising the legs off the floor, then slowly bending the knees to bring them up as far as they go, then just as slowly extending the legs straight and gradually lowering them to the floor again.... repeated a half dozen or so times.

Whenever I start to feel any lower back pain I do some of these exercises 2 or 3 evenings in a row, and usually I don't have to do any more for about a month.... my back feels fine.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #3

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
if it were only that easy to fix back problems.......
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff View Post
if it were only that easy to fix back problems.......
GEEESSHH... Lighten up fellas....I was talking about normal minor discomfort or just finding a comfortable position when relaxing. I'm not claiming to solve orthopedic problems here... Eventhough sleeping in a Scamp IS superior to Holiday Inn Express!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

Sorry Floyd, I wasn't trying to rain on your discovery! Did I come across the wrong way? I only thought someone might benefit from my tale, as they might from yours.

Joel, yes some back problems are more serious. If damage has occurred already to the spine, exercises may be irrelevant. My sister is in that camp... a broken tailbone among other things.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Sorry Floyd, I wasn't trying to rain on your discovery! Did I come across the wrong way? I only thought someone might benefit from my tale, as they might from yours.

Joel, yes some back problems are more serious. If damage has occurred already to the spine, exercises may be irrelevant. My sister is in that camp... a broken tailbone among other things.
Actually you have made a great contribution! I agree with your comment completely, there is no substitute for taking care of yourself.
Also you helped me clarify that I was making an intentionally frivolous comment, which should protect me from the need for a disclaimer like yours.
I also agree with Joel, who wishes it was that easy to fix back problems, it clearly is not.
I want to make it equally clear that I was only trying to provide a novel solution to a minor discomfort.

BTW; The handy bottle idea makes a nice disposable bolster under your head,with or without a pillow to get comfy while reclining. Also, did you catch the Holiday Inn Express joke?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Hmm, I suppose that certainly could give the back some support.
Some years ago, an experienced older doctor told me that lower back pain generally (barring injury or something) arises when the stomach muscles are not well enough in shape and therefore are not supporting the back properly.
Whenever I start to feel any lower back pain I do some of these exercises 2 or 3 evenings in a row, and usually I don't have to do any more for about a month.... my back feels fine.
Over 25 years ago I had back pain so bad that I was afraid I would never be able to go on another vacation. I started working out in a gym on a regular basis and the back pain became less and less frequent as the years went by - of course losing 25 pounds didn't hurt either. I'm now well past Social Security age and feel like my back, and me in general, are in better shape than 30 years ago. But the soda bottle idea sounds like a good one.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I broke my back 48 years ago in an auto crash. I've had off & on back pain (or maybe back ache is more appropriate) all that time. A few years ago I had back surgery (laminectomy) that helped. An infrequent Aleve or a couple of ibuprofens usually take care of it. Losing 20 pounds didn't hurt either. Biggest problem is finding something comfortable to sit on when away from home. Trailer dinettes are back (and butt) killers. TempurPedic mattress is GREAT!
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #9

For you, Bob, I recommend a 2-liter behind the lower back and two 2-liters underneath... ...forgive me!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
For you, Bob, I recommend a 2-liter behind the lower back and two 2-liters underneath... ...forgive me!
Some of could use those three liter bottles found only at "Big Lots" and K-Mart! A little superglue and we could make some keen beach furniture!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
This is what I use and they provide the best support of what I have tried.

Mesh Back Lumbar Support For Your Car Seat, Chair products, buy Mesh Back Lumbar Support For Your Car Seat, Chair products from alibaba.com
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
actualy frequently changing your seat settings can hellp a lot to avoid this problem.

also roadkill squirrel makes a nice furry lumbar support.....
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I've seen those mesh things and wondered if they were any good. Might have to snag one for the summer's travels. Should help keep the back from getting sweaty if using a traditional pillow. Will also grab an empty 2 liter bottle!

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
actualy frequently changing your seat settings can hellp a lot to avoid this problem.

also roadkill squirrel makes a nice furry lumbar support.....
AND... They come in various colors and sizes!All with red trim!
They don't really have to be roadkill though... All you need is candybar and a large piece of firewood or the awning deployment tool.
place the candybar on the picnic table and wait about 5 seconds, Then... WHAM you have your squirrel!( if your reflexes are good)
If not... get another candybar!
Heck, my Scamp is already lined with "Rat Fur".
Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Heck, my Scamp is already lined with "Rat Fur".
Wow!! How many did you have to whack to cover the whole interior Floyd?

John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post

My guess would be 300 (skinny ,long tails likes nuts) If you go bigger( brown,ring around tail ,wears a mask will eat anything & likes to wash their food) you might could get by with 100. I have heard there is a real "cute" little guy in the north (called a Chipmonk) but from pictures I have seen and the few I have seen in real life I think you would need at least 1,000 of them.

Of course I have not tanned any hides since I helped my grandfather back in my teen days and that was gaters.

All the above is just fun & games I have no clue how many it would take,but I do know it would take a longggggg time to set out the candy bar & whack enough Our grandsons try this all the time and have lost more candy bars that way......
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post

Pete Dumbleton, AKA "Ratatouille"had his 13 Scamp lined with LIVE RATS which he counted as friends and pets.
Many of you may remember Pete who always had a warm affection for all.
May God rest his soul.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #18

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I have used the plastic water bottle lumbar support on occasion with great success. A little noisy, but does the job.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote