Lucky Us - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Preception is often reality, or at least can drive reality. Though gas compared to a lot of items is inexpensive, it's a significant part of the RV lifestyle and price increases impact the RV user. As it is now, a normal 5th wheel or Motorhome driver can easily spend $100 a day for a 200 mile drive. Regular, fixed income, retired people can feel $100 a day.

Though their are obvious alternatives to expensive campgrounds for large rig owners there's not much alternative to high fuel prices other than not driving.

These realities do seem to drive behaviour.

Most of the people I referred to in my earlier post are people who spend many months on the road each year and no longer do. The smaller rig may be an answer for them if smaller rigs can be designed for their needs and if smaller diesels with 'sipping' engines become available.

Change brings opportunity for someone, hopefully a manufacturer somewhere is alert to the opportunity.

I am forever jealous of all the Europeans that can buy a Honda CRV diesel, great low end torque and better fuel mileage.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
I am jealous of the campers available in both Europe and Australia. So many times I have came across a very efficient, well-planned little trailer only to find that it is not available in the US. So little is built here that will last, well, except for the fiberglass eggs, of course. Many don't understand the strain on those with fixed incomes at this time but I see it all around me. Everything going up and choices having to be made. Really though, would be nice to find some nice open campsites for a change.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
In Europe, they can still buy the old bodied VW van (Campers too). They have a water-cooled 1.9L deisel in them. Our EPA won't let them in here.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Low cost camping

Cathy P.

I hope this helps. There are lots of ways to get inexpensive camping. It appears that the Corps of Engineers has a volunteer program where they provide you with a site for a relatively few hours work. If you're interested in pay you can get a site and some money for performing the gate keeper, attendant function at Corps of Engineer parks. I will tell you if you like wonderful sites, the Corp has some of the best. Unfortunately they are not everywhere but many are in the winter warm south.

This is only a beginning, there are more opportunities in other classes of parks.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #19

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Maybe the hey day of RV's is over--we're just seeing the start of baby boomers retiring and the RV generation seemed to be my parent's (pre baby boomer) generation.
Phil
We've run into a lot of "Boomers" in our short time on the road....Mr. and I are both 61 and we've found both younger and older Boomers considering at least several month road trips in their rigs of all sizes. The change we've seen recently though matches the thought that some are staying longer in one place. Here in SC coastal parks of Hunting Island, Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach state parks offer 30 day stays for $300 November through Feb. Notta bad deal to be by the ocean during the winter months.

Snowbird COASTAL 30-Day Camping - Park Deals

That said, our plan includes waaaay downsizing our stay-put footprint in order to make our full-time dream a reality.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Cathy P.

I hope this helps. There are lots of ways to get inexpensive camping. It appears that the Corps of Engineers has a volunteer program where they provide you with a site for a relatively few hours work. If you're interested in pay you can get a site and some money for performing the gate keeper, attendant function at Corps of Engineer parks. I will tell you if you like wonderful sites, the Corp has some of the best. Unfortunately they are not everywhere but many are in the winter warm south.

This is only a beginning, there are more opportunities in other classes of parks.
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate and enjoy reading all of your posts. I tend to think that when one gets determined enough, they can do anything. When I worked at the RV manufacturer, we had an 80 year old gentleman who bought a smaller 5th wheel because he wanted to travel as a carpenter donating his time to religious organizations that would give me a free camping spot. His children were horrified but he got his trailer, picked it up and we heard from him now and then. He did once call because he had jammed his slide, opened it into a high area of dirt, but the tech walked him through it. Thank you for the encouragement, helpful hints, etc. that you pass on at the forum as I know the dedication and time that it takes.

We belonged to Escapees a few years back and also had subscribed to Workamper News long ago - ah, the dreaming is worth the price! I just added Coolworks to my Facebook.