Lucky Us - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lucky Us

Fiberglass owners are better positioned for the economy than many.

This week we're at the Escapee headquarters in Livingston, TX. It's the second or third time we've stopped here. Unfortunately the place is comparatively empty compared to previous visits, something we've particularly noticed this year on our stops.

Fortunately a fiberglass trailer is a low cost solution to travel, keeps it's value, inexpensive to own and less expensive to tow.

Ginny thinks the 'hey day' of RVing has passed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Aliner
Interesting observations, Norm. Ginny's observation is kind of sad.

Sure hope that the trend will just be a switch to smaller RVs so all the great campgrounds stay open.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ginny may be right. Although right now in Oregon the weather is absolutely beautiful. My neighbors who typically drive their monster MH south for the winter and wet spring haven't left yet and probably won't for a couple more weeks. Maybe this is the same thing happening in other areas of the country and when the weather finally does change, Escapees in Livingston will be full.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
My friends who staff a snowbird RV park in Palm Springs say their occupancy is down 45% from 2 years ago. I the past they were completely full and turned away people on several key dates. This year they never got above 75% occupied.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #5

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Maybe the hey day of RV's is over--we're just seeing the start of baby boomers retiring and the RV generation seemed to be my parent's (pre baby boomer) generation. But then again maybe the RV parks are pricing themselves out of business. At those prices an all-inclusive to Puerto Vallarta looks like a pretty good alternative.
Phil
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Zigaktly! The prices of many RV Parks are such that other alternatives are often cheaper. I have been chastised on here in the past for noting that I can travel with the car and stay in hotels & motels for less than traveling with the trailer, and a lot of "all-inclusives" are cheaper yet!

I suspect that Cruise ship vacations will be especially low cost this year!!! (since my smilies have vanished, I'll let you insert the appropriate grins and sarcastic giggles here!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #7

Florida
Pricing

It's true that some RV parks, particularly some state parks in the face of unbalanced budgets, have increased their rates.

Though part of the problem, there are many low cost wonderful campgrounds experiencing the same problem. The Corp of Engineer parks have not been even half full ($8-11 with Golden Eagle and $16-22 with out) or even the Escapee Park ($5 for boondocking and $13-15 for full hookup).

In talking to people, and most have big rigs, it's the dramatic increase in fuel over the last 3 years. One guy described to me that every 2 miles driven cost him $1. For me it's a $1 every 6-7 miles.

Secondarily it's also the lack of national confidence, of not having faith in the future.

Of those that do travel, I see them spending extended periods in one place, partially to save money by paying long term campground rates (still reasonably low at $10-15/day) and to avoid fuel expenditures.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I wonder if the demand for new RV's will go down and in turn lower the prices. New sure is expensive compared to pre-loved.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #9

Florida
No doubt the demand for large RVs is down, there are a lot of used RVs available at reasonable rates. I think the small Fiberglass manufacturers could do more to make their units more generally useful as well many of the big rig manufacturers are expanding their lines to smaller rigs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think there are many elements involved. Many of those nice retirement plans have disappeared as have some of the people's investments and others can't afford to retire and/or need to work to supplement their retirement. We watched the costs of RV parks really go up out of reach and even monthly rates, in some areas, would allow you to take that same money and rent an apartment/mobile home. Perhaps it is becoming more a love of the RV lifestyle rather than a cost savings in making the choice which, in my opinion, would be good! I am not surprised by this. We saw people full and part-timing and became familiar with the lifestyle in the early 90's and I thought it was like the coolest thing in the whole world!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #11

Florida
Fulltiming still affordable

Full timing is still affordable, particularly in a small trailer, even more so if you don't own a home and fulltime at the same time.

Keeping our small home amounts to about 1/4 of all our expenses.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We can't afford to retire like many of our classmates are. It causes us issues with some of the rallies too; they are often held during the week. We would like to go, but we work.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If RVing is on the decline and the CGs are getting less crowded, maybe by the time I retire I can actually get a prime winter campsite in the Keys! Woohoo!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I believe it is a matter of perception. Our gas prices are not horrible, but they were much cheaper not that long ago. Gas prices are still only a small part of the expence of vacation (a NICE dinner for two at a resturant will cost as much as gas for a day of driving) and most people with monster motor homes eat even NICER dinners. So I believe it is more sticker shock. Another example is a person driving 20 miles to SAVE? a penny or two on 10 or 20 gallons of gas.

As for the cost of campgrounds, I would rather spend $50-75 for a campground and sleep in my own bed than spend $75-150 for a room which may have bed bugs.

One final thought. Gas prices and campground prices are set by supply and demand (although it can swing like a pendulum) people will only pay as much as the value they put on things.

Art

P.S. Don't misunderstand me, I still long for $.35 gas and $.25 loaves of bread.
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #15

Florida
Preception is often reality, or at least can drive reality. Though gas compared to a lot of items is inexpensive, it's a significant part of the RV lifestyle and price increases impact the RV user. As it is now, a normal 5th wheel or Motorhome driver can easily spend $100 a day for a 200 mile drive. Regular, fixed income, retired people can feel $100 a day.

Though their are obvious alternatives to expensive campgrounds for large rig owners there's not much alternative to high fuel prices other than not driving.

These realities do seem to drive behaviour.

Most of the people I referred to in my earlier post are people who spend many months on the road each year and no longer do. The smaller rig may be an answer for them if smaller rigs can be designed for their needs and if smaller diesels with 'sipping' engines become available.

Change brings opportunity for someone, hopefully a manufacturer somewhere is alert to the opportunity.

I am forever jealous of all the Europeans that can buy a Honda CRV diesel, great low end torque and better fuel mileage.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #16

I am jealous of the campers available in both Europe and Australia. So many times I have came across a very efficient, well-planned little trailer only to find that it is not available in the US. So little is built here that will last, well, except for the fiberglass eggs, of course. Many don't understand the strain on those with fixed incomes at this time but I see it all around me. Everything going up and choices having to be made. Really though, would be nice to find some nice open campsites for a change.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
In Europe, they can still buy the old bodied VW van (Campers too). They have a water-cooled 1.9L deisel in them. Our EPA won't let them in here.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #18

Florida
Low cost camping

Cathy P.

I hope this helps. There are lots of ways to get inexpensive camping. It appears that the Corps of Engineers has a volunteer program where they provide you with a site for a relatively few hours work. If you're interested in pay you can get a site and some money for performing the gate keeper, attendant function at Corps of Engineer parks. I will tell you if you like wonderful sites, the Corp has some of the best. Unfortunately they are not everywhere but many are in the winter warm south.

This is only a beginning, there are more opportunities in other classes of parks.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #19

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Maybe the hey day of RV's is over--we're just seeing the start of baby boomers retiring and the RV generation seemed to be my parent's (pre baby boomer) generation.
Phil
We've run into a lot of "Boomers" in our short time on the road....Mr. and I are both 61 and we've found both younger and older Boomers considering at least several month road trips in their rigs of all sizes. The change we've seen recently though matches the thought that some are staying longer in one place. Here in SC coastal parks of Hunting Island, Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach state parks offer 30 day stays for $300 November through Feb. Notta bad deal to be by the ocean during the winter months.

Snowbird COASTAL 30-Day Camping - Park Deals

That said, our plan includes waaaay downsizing our stay-put footprint in order to make our full-time dream a reality.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Cathy P.

I hope this helps. There are lots of ways to get inexpensive camping. It appears that the Corps of Engineers has a volunteer program where they provide you with a site for a relatively few hours work. If you're interested in pay you can get a site and some money for performing the gate keeper, attendant function at Corps of Engineer parks. I will tell you if you like wonderful sites, the Corp has some of the best. Unfortunately they are not everywhere but many are in the winter warm south.

This is only a beginning, there are more opportunities in other classes of parks.
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate and enjoy reading all of your posts. I tend to think that when one gets determined enough, they can do anything. When I worked at the RV manufacturer, we had an 80 year old gentleman who bought a smaller 5th wheel because he wanted to travel as a carpenter donating his time to religious organizations that would give me a free camping spot. His children were horrified but he got his trailer, picked it up and we heard from him now and then. He did once call because he had jammed his slide, opened it into a high area of dirt, but the tech walked him through it. Thank you for the encouragement, helpful hints, etc. that you pass on at the forum as I know the dedication and time that it takes.

We belonged to Escapees a few years back and also had subscribed to Workamper News long ago - ah, the dreaming is worth the price! I just added Coolworks to my Facebook.