"MACRO CAMPER" - Runt Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Rich
Trailer: Runt
Ohio
"MACRO CAMPER" - Runt Trailer

I am in the process of developing a small(6'x4'x4') fiberglass multi-use trailers.

Our trailers will be marketed to several different demographics for various uses:

• Travel/Luggage trailer for small cars, Corvettes, Street Rods, motorcycles
  • Sports gear/storage(soccer, baseball coachs, canoe, kayak, mountain bikes)
  • R/C Model Enthusiasts
  • Food vending/catering
  • Mobile business(Pool Maintenance, Computer Repair, Maids, Chimney Sweep)
  • Tailgating
  • Band gear transportation
  • Mobile Pet Grooming
  • Party Hosts(Avon, Pampered Chef, Candle reps)

One group that I'm excited about are folks who have smaller fuel efficient cars that want to take road trips, but don't want to sleep in a tent along side the road or in a parking lot. I am describing them as "Micro-Campers".

My trailers fit two adults(under 6') for those economical excursions. I plan to develop longer versions for taller folks and more storage, but we probably won't increase the height to keep wind resistance & cost down.

I will be posting some pictures of the prototype soon, ut if you have any questions please send me a PM.

Thank You,

Rich
President of Runt Trailers
Runt Trailers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The average height for a male in the US is about 5'10". Capping the interior at 6' means you're automatically eliminating just under half the population from considering this. Just saying...
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'm throwing in with Mike; a finished inside dimension of 6 ft doesn't make market sense to me when you throw in pillows, blankets kicked off because one became too warm, etc.

I'd shoot for a finished inside dimension of 7 ft, based on using standard 8 ft material lengths for the construction panels. Also eliminates a lot of 2 ft cut off pieces unless you've a plan to use them somehow.

Leaves room for insulation, finish materials - you're going to need a little wall thickness if you plan on a window, too.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Ohio
Hey guys, like I mentioned we plan to develop longer versions for taller folks and more storage, but we probably won't increase the height to keep wind resistance & cost down.*

Im 5'11" and ive slept in the prototype, but a 7' or 8' version will cover the masses.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Check out DYI Trailers on Facebook. A friend of mine took a white cargo trailer and converted it into a camper. The back part carries all his supplies for Dutch Oven cooking camping, hiking, biking and anything else he needs. The front part has a queen size bed, full stand up shower, sink and counter top. Loads of storage. The DYI site gives some info on how he converted it. I know it is heavy as the dickens, but shows that it can be done.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt Trailers View Post
Im 5'11" and ive slept in the prototype,

Diagonally, curled into a ball, or standing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt Trailers View Post
I am in the process of developing a small(6'x4'x4') fiberglass multi-use trailers.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Tough house!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

I for one am not goin' out of my way to be hard on the O.P., Jack- I'm genuinely confused by the statement I quoted as it relates to the posted dimensions and the discussion that followed.

How can most adults lie down in a 4'x4' space? One would have to be a contortionist to do so. Maybe the O.P. made a mistake in the posting....unless the trailer is actually 6' long, and 4x4 refers to width and height.

Which seems unlikely since he so far has posted no correction to folks' presumption that 6' is the interior height.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
He mentioned towing behind Corvettes and motorcycles. If it were 72" high it would be like towing an outhouse.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I didn't think the 6' referred to height, well not of the trailer anyway. I'm just thinking of what things would be like laying down.

Without any pics to the contrary, this is sounding like a slightly stubby version of a traditional, smaller-size teardrop trailer. They started off with basic 4x4x8 designs mainly because of the dimensions of standard sheets of plywood. I think most of the teardrop crowd has moved on to 5' wide trailers though.

Tough crowd? I wouldn't have said that. There is some criticism of the dimensions, but it's all been constructive and polite.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our vintage teardrop is 4' wide, 4' high and total body length of about 10' but that includes the rear galley area. Inside sleeping area is about 6'6" long. The two of us sleep just fine. Reading Rich's first post my impression was he's building a fiberglass teardrop or similar variant. Wishing him luck in this venture. We also own an early 80's Coleman Versa trailer that is basically a small cargo trailer but had a canvas enclosure option to use it as a camper. Unfortunately our trailer does not have the canvas but does have the fiberglass top. Neat little trailer but was only made for a few years.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Most items being sold/advertised that give sizes are always listed as L, W, H or depth in that order. Inches, feet, cm or mm doesn't matter.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Most items being sold/advertised that give sizes are always listed as L, W, H or depth in that order. Inches, feet, cm or mm doesn't matter.
Don't count on it. Or maybe you haven't heard that a piece of letter paper is 8.5x11 or a piece of wood as a 2x4
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #14

HA... At least the piece of paper is usually as advertised, 2x4 is a description, not a dimension. Sorta like the Ultra-Lite stickys that weigh in at 6000 lbs.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #15

If anyone is still reading....

VERSA TRAILER UTILITY ENCLOSE CANOE KAYAK AND CAMPING TRAILERS

Here's an interesting link to some smaller trailers, some of which sound/look like the "Runt".

There is a Coleman Versa Trailer shown about 1 page down.

But look at the neat little red trailer in the center top of the first page.
Good reading further down if it interests someone.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #16

New York
Apparently the "Versa" name got used on lots of different trailers. What we have is the 7th one down the page under "Read customer comments". It was a fairly well thought out design, steel box 50" wide and 5' long with a hinged "tailgate" front and rear allowing a sheet of plywood to be laid flat in it. Options were the plastic type flip top (that I previously stated was fiberglass, but isn't) wood side racks, and a canvas enclosure used with the top up to make it a mini camper. I've seen a trailer similar to the yellow one with the rear door. Between the yellow one and the red one probably is what Rich has in mind to build. A multi use trailer. Over on the tnttt site there are members who have converted cargo trailers into campers.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Ohio
Hello everybody..... yes the length is 6' and I do fit in the trailer fine, but then again I do not sleep in a straight line lol.

It is a small camper basically designed for storage while you drive and then swap the gear to the car and sleep high and dry. It will not be for everyone, but super small to store in a backyard and super lightweight as well so no need to back the car into the yard.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
4' high is not out of the question, for those who don't mind stooping to enter and soon thereafter sitting or lying down. There are purchasers of teardrops who already camp this way.

As for marketing to dog groomers, I'm not so sure. My daughter is a groomer. They work standing up, with the dog on a table at work height.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
If you haven't already seen them I'd suggest you look over the Little Guy trailers Little Guy Teardrop Trailers | be different., you'd have to have some appeal that they don't.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #20

New York
Teardrop entry method; open door, sit in opening, roll back in and wiggle into position. Getting out is a different maneuver.