Magazines on Travel/Camping Trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Magazines on Travel/Camping Trailers?

Hi everyone — I've been looking around to see if there are any magazines I can subscribe to on the topic of travel/camping trailers.

I have so far found Trailer Life and Vintage Camper Trailers as magazines that have an in-print magazine and an online presence. I know this site is associated with RV Life Magazine, which is now online only. Are there any others that are still in print? I know there's probably nothing specific to fiberglass in print.

I've loaded up my Facebook feed with all manner of RV/outdoors/camping media outlets, but I like paper too. If you know of any print magazines/newsletters I should check out, please let me know.

Thank you!

Naomi
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
[QUOTE=Chitown Naomi;606294]Hi everyone — I've been looking around to see if there are any magazines I can subscribe to on the topic of travel/camping trailers.

I have so far found Trailer Life and Vintage Camper Trailers as magazines that have an in-print magazine and an online presence. I know this site is associated with RV Life Magazine, which is now online only. Are there any others that are still in print? I know there's probably nothing specific to fiberglass in print.

I've loaded up my Facebook feed with all manner of RV/outdoors/camping media outlets, but I like paper too. If you know of any print magazines/newsletters I should check out, please let me know.

Thank you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Naomi, I have read Trailer Life and Motorhome Life off and on for decades and generally think of it as an advertising magazine for the RV trade. It is geared toward large expen$ive RVs and helps keep the RV industry in business selling uneconomical , huge RVs. Every once in a blue moon they throw in an article about new fiberglas trailers, or "Small, Economical trailers ", meaning 20' to 30 ft stick built . Like Good Sam , Camper World and K.O.A., they promote the RV Lifestyle and luxury RVs because that is where the profit is. Can you imagine a trailer magazine surviving off the profits from selling accessories for Scamps, Burros, Casitas, and Compact Jrs. ? Trailer Life has some good ideas, nice photos and tours, but not geared to my Scamp travel style.
Vintage Camper Trailers on the other hand is big and glossy, has less advertising and content , but higher cost because of its more limited clientele. But does a great job of showing its niche section of the RV industry and activities, and promoting that niche,especially for those of us in N. Calif.
David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Do we need a print FGRV magazine?

I have watched the Vintage Trailer magazine with interest, very much because it is beautiful, and has a niche market, and isn't selling huge piles of RV crap.

It is very difficult to finance a niche market magazine and actually avoid bankruptcy, especially a lovely glossy color one.

I think the success is related to the huge vintage trailer market and the people in that market that hunger for a publication they can hold in their hands.

In that same vein, I've also wondered what the market would be for a print FGRV magazine. If anyone here would like to discuss this with me, please PM me! I've been writing, editing, and designing publications for over 30 years, along with article writing and blogging, and could easily get all of my teeth into a project like this. Oh, and teaching English and designing web pages and, and,
Old 08-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
With the current digital trend, I would not get high hopes for any new RV/travel trailer magazine. I don't know of any mags other than the ones mentioned, but if you were to go to a Barnes & Noble or similar bookstore and browse the magazine section you ought to find any others that exist.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
With the current digital trend, I would not get high hopes for any new RV/travel trailer magazine. I don't know of any mags other than the ones mentioned, but if you were to go to a Barnes & Noble or similar bookstore and browse the magazine section you ought to find any others that exist.
Been there, done that.
They don't carrry the Vintage Trailer magazine either, but that seems to be booming even so.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I have watched the Vintage Trailer magazine with interest, very much because it is beautiful, and has a niche market, and isn't selling huge piles of RV crap.

It is very difficult to finance a niche market magazine and actually avoid bankruptcy, especially a lovely glossy color one.

I think the success is related to the huge vintage trailer market and the people in that market that hunger for a publication they can hold in their hands.

In that same vein, I've also wondered what the market would be for a print FGRV magazine. If anyone here would like to discuss this with me, please PM me! I've been writing, editing, and designing publications for over 30 years, along with article writing and blogging, and could easily get all of my teeth into a project like this. Oh, and teaching English and designing web pages and, and,

The niche aspect of FGRV is what made me think there must be a print magazine. I'm an editor for a magazine myself, b-to-b, so I know the struggles in the field overall to find print advertising. I'd love to see a publication that covered industry news, featured maintenance, reviewed campgrounds, and profiled folks in the field. Basically, this site, but with glossy photos and layout. But I know none of that is cheap or easy. I just hoped I was overlooking a publication, but at least I know who the players are.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Naomi View Post
...I'd love to see a publication that covered industry news, featured maintenance, reviewed campgrounds, and profiled folks in the field. Basically, this site, but with glossy photos and layout. But I know none of that is cheap or easy. I just hoped I was overlooking a publication, but at least I know who the players are.
Yes, wouldn't a publication like that be wonderful? I'd certainly subscribe.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Yes, wouldn't a publication like that be wonderful? I'd certainly subscribe.
Well, that makes a circulation of two.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 AM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Well, that makes a circulation of two.
A very exclusive group.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I know you asked about print magazines; however, here is a link to an interesting online magazine from Australia that covers mostly small trailers.

Home | RV DAILY
Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Years ago I was active on the Popup Explorer forum, a site dedicated to popup owners. Then came the Popup Times magazine. I subscribed right away, feeling that the usual RV magazines were mostly about big rigs and ignored the popup crowd.
I thought it was great, but after a couple years I realized that there wasn't much in the magazine that I didn't already know or haven't already seen, it was often topics previously discussed at large on the web board then made into articles, and some articles didn't relate at all to popups or even camping and were just there to fill the pages. So I quit, I found that the forums were much more interesting than a magazine, and I may be wrong but I think it would be the same with a FG RV magazine. There isn't much a magazine can write about that hasn't been written or discussed here before, and everything here can be brought up with a simple Google search. So no interest for me in a FG RV magazine.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Years ago I was active on the Popup Explorer forum, a site dedicated to popup owners. Then came the Popup Times magazine. I subscribed right away, feeling that the usual RV magazines were mostly about big rigs and ignored the popup crowd.
I thought it was great, but after a couple years I realized that there wasn't much in the magazine that I didn't already know or haven't already seen, it was often topics previously discussed at large on the web board then made into articles, and some articles didn't relate at all to popups or even camping and were just there to fill the pages. So I quit, I found that the forums were much more interesting than a magazine, and I may be wrong but I think it would be the same with a FG RV magazine. There isn't much a magazine can write about that hasn't been written or discussed here before, and everything here can be brought up with a simple Google search. So no interest for me in a FG RV magazine.
Ah. Obviously you were the victim of a publication with lazy editors and no imagination.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I used to subscribe to (and love) Small Boat Journal, but after a number of years it went under. That was even before digital. So I have my doubts a FGRV magazine could make it. On the other hand, Wooden Boats magazine seems to be going strong.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #14

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
A good weekly rv newsletter is www.rvtravel.com
Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #15

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
A good weekly rv newsletter is www.rvtravel.com

Thanks Mitzi. That does look good. I added them to my Facebook feed.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Smile RV Magazines

Here in western Canada we are blessed by getting a quarterly magazine called "RV WEST" which is published by Koocanusa Publication Inc from Cranbrook BC.
You can also check them out at RVwest online magazine for RV camping | RVwest or telephone them at (250) 426-7253. Tool free 1-800-663-8555. The publisher's name is Keith Powell.
They always have representation at the RV shows and print about 30,000 copies per issue. So far, it's free.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #17

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lindsay View Post
Here in western Canada we are blessed by getting a quarterly magazine called "RV WEST" which is published by Koocanusa Publication Inc from Cranbrook BC.
You can also check them out at RVwest online magazine for RV camping | RVwest or telephone them at (250) 426-7253. Tool free 1-800-663-8555. The publisher's name is Keith Powell.
They always have representation at the RV shows and print about 30,000 copies per issue. So far, it's free.

Thanks for the tip, Owen!