MagicJack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I seen this infomertial on TV last night and for $19.95 a year you plug your own phone into this device then plug it into your USB Port for unlimited free calling anywhere in the US,Mexico and canada. It looks pretty good!
Has anybody used this and does it work the way they say?______
Joe

http://www.magicjack.com/9/index.asp
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It works if you have a High Speed connection. Does not work on dial-up.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Read Here
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/...ack-c79874.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Those testimonials DO sound a warning bell. I doubt very much that I would try anything like that mainly because I have a 'deal' with my land line phone company!! I have 4 or 5 FREE devices (for phone use) given to me on my promise that I will keep this company as my long distance service provider. Unfortunately, I have since forgotten which of all my (land line) devices I own outright OR which is from the phone company!!!! As it sits now I can make calls through my computer, but am paying (for what I use) at a slightly higher rate than the usual land line rates.

Like the friend that assembled my computer for me once said, "if it's out there and FREE, its USUALLY free for a reason."
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Angry

Oh, GREAT. I just signed up for one last weekend. Wish I had read those comments a few days earlier.

But actually the reason I learned of Magic Jack was, my brother wrote me about it and said our nephew in Korea (stationed there, army) is using it to call home and liked it and said it worked well for him. If it turns out to be a dud, I'm gonna harass that brother of mine bigtime!

Mike
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
We frequently use the free version of Skype here in the office - works great with the webcam but better sound with a headset.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Skype is free video/audio conferencing. It works great. Especially with MacBooks. On my PC, it worked but the external camera wasn't good enough so I use the MacBook that has built in camera and mike. The faster your connection the more reliable Skype is. I am surprised more folks don't know about it. Free download. No cost to use. You can spend money though but only if you decide to. I talk to a friend in Bangkok. I hope it stays free.
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
We also use Skype. We prearrange a time so that we know there's someone at the other end to answer. It's great, we can call from Ontario to N Alberta and we get to see family and the grand kids more than once a year. We use the webcam so that we can both talk and listen, and have no difficulty with the sound.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
SKYPE!! yeah thats what I signed up for...is it FREE to use/call?? I 'thought' there was a charge, so have not used it other than once when I called the Trailer Goddess at her office and she gave me the 'WHAT FOR' when I told her I was calling through/wih the computer!

We rely a lot on MSN messenger with the vid/cam and mike. Works well enough for us (for now!!)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
I know my cousin who lives in China has been using "skype" a LOT to call family back here in canada.
He swears by it and they have family phone calls once a week or mor eto their kids.
My parents just signed up for it but are still on dial up---so until the hi spped comes into their town they can't really use the skype.....

I was thinking about it to use with my sister in Toronto---but heck the way I look sometimes when I am phoning,--nah I don't need to have her see that!!!!!!!!
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
I know my cousin who lives in China has been using "skype" a LOT to call family back here in canada.
He swears by it and they have family phone calls once a week or mor eto their kids.
My parents just signed up for it but are still on dial up---so until the hi spped comes into their town they can't really use the skype.....

I was thinking about it to use with my sister in Toronto---but heck the way I look sometimes when I am phoning,--nah I don't need to have her see that!!!!!!!!
FYI Doug..

Moving to defuse news that the text messages of Skype users in China, and those who exchange messages with them, are being monitored for communication deemed subversive by Chinese authorities, Skype president Josh Silverman on Thursday defended his company's actions using the same rationale thatGoogle (NSDQ: GOOG) and Yahoo (NSDQ: YHOO) have used in the past: We have to obey Chinese law to operate in China.

"It is common knowledge that censorship does exist in China and that the Chinese government has been monitoring communications in and out of the country for many years," said Silverman in a blog post. "This, in fact, is true for all forms of communication such as e-mails, fixed and mobile phone calls, and instant messaging between people within China and between China and other countries. TOM [Online], like every other communications service provider operating in China, has an obligation to be compliant if they are to be able to operate in China at all."
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 8 ft Jayco Pop-up
Quote:
I seen this infomertial on TV last night and for $19.95 a year you plug your own phone into this device then plug it into your USB Port for unlimited free calling anywhere in the US,Mexico and canada. It looks pretty good!
Has anybody used this and does it work the way they say?______
Joe

http://www.magicjack.com/9/index.asp
I have a magicjack phone. I use it on my labtop and it works great. I bought a thin client to run the mj on. I haven't had much luck with that. I am excited about going camping with my MJ. I can bring my labtop and recieve calls like at home. God Bless.
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I have a magic jack. Had it for about 6 months. Yes they have no complaint department at all and the customer service is lousy, but the jack does work well for voice calling. I tried it with no success to use a FAX or modem with the jack to no avail. You must be logged on the PC to allow the socket to enable to the internet. They also say that it does not work with satellite internet such as HughesNet. I figured the price was still to good to pass up. I use this tool as an absolute backup to a phone when needed. I would not recommend this as a primary phone.
This only works with Microsoft Windows as of now, but I have heard that they are working on
LINUX drivers soon.

I hope this helps.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
I have a magic jack. Had it for about 6 months. Yes they have no complaint department at all and the customer service is lousy, but the jack does work well for voice calling. I tried it with no success to use a FAX or modem with the jack to no avail. You must be logged on the PC to allow the socket to enable to the internet. They also say that it does not work with satellite internet such as HughesNet. I figured the price was still to good to pass up. I use this tool as an absolute backup to a phone when needed. I would not recommend this as a primary phone.
This only works with Microsoft Windows as of now, but I have heard that they are working on
LINUX drivers soon.

I hope this helps.
They also have drivers for 'MAC' now. The drivers install, as an upgrade, in the 'Magic Jack' unit itself. But beware, ... it's a one time upgrade and ,at this time, cannot be reversed.

We've disconnected our $40.00 month land line and now use 'Magic Jack' for our home phone, full time. $20.00 a year, ...... ya can't beat it.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
some harsh words there but I wonder how many they've sold... the complaints could amount to a half percent.
I couldn't tell how much they cost? anyone know? I didn't want to give my email address just to find out. I get enough spam
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #16

Registry
I use Skype... and it's world wide
Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #17

Registry
does that also mean you don't get telemarketers calling???
I'm liking it for that reason alone
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:

We've disconnected our $40.00 month land line and now use 'Magic Jack' for our home phone, full time. $20.00 a year, ...... ya can't beat it.

So far - - no telemarketers
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 8 ft Jayco Pop-up
Quote:

No you do not get telemarketers. The phone works excellent for my family. We dropped our main phone, now we just use our MJ and mobile. If you are getting a lot of telemarketers have you signed up on the Federal No Call list? https://www.donotcall.gov/
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote