Magnesium Fire Starter -- Cave Campground, Lassen National Forest - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #29

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
By the way it really helps to use a windscreen around most stoves, particularly the alcohol stoves. Helps heating things faster and uses less fuel. Something like this shield work very well (Amazon): HIGHROCK® Lightweight Compact Folding Camp Stove Windscreen

Old 02-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #30

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use "Heet" in the yellow plastic bottle for fuel in alcohol burners. It's a gasoline additive sold by most auto parts stores. Works very well.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #31

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
RE Heet: Yellow is better than Red for use in stoves. Don't breath the fumes or get any on your skin. Go here for more info in you are interested:

Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #32

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have tried dryer lint to get some charcoal started, and didn't have much luck. Maybe it's a cotton vs polyester thing... dunno.

I seem to recall reading that one can use a 9V battery and steel wool to start a fire. But I haven't tried it.
Mike, that sounds like a transition thing. The lint needs something more to catch before moving up to a log or kindling or charcoal. So you'd start with lint, add some dry, broken twigs, and then gradually keep adding more beefy material.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #33

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hummm. An emergency communication device such as the original Spot should not require your kids to be given any info ahead of time in order to find you should you get lost.
Carol H, the kids would only need info if they wished to log into our page on the Spot site and discover where we are every 10 minutes... which is not likely!

On the model we have we can push a button to send an email update to a predetermined list of people (I'm out riding, having a great time...), or the "help me now" button which sends out the SOS and gives exact location. I don't think we can talk to the rescue center, but at least they know where we are.

My concern has always been that someone would run DH off the road and he would be unconscious and unfindable. He loves curvy mountain roads with little traffic. AND, when I used to ask him about his travel itinerary, he would point vaguely to the east or west and say, "somewhere THAT way."

Now he can buzz for help if he's conscious, or if he's not and overdue, I can see right away what his route was and narrow down significantly where he might be. Probably the rescue center can pinpoint his exact location even so.

Quote:
The little bit of bike tire tube will burn even when wet and long enough in wet weather to allow you to get other wet fire materials burning. Not the most enviornmentally friend product but when in an emergency situation it works.
Great suggestion! Thanks!
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #34

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Here on the WET coast we have a plant/tree that will burn when green or dripping wet, leaves and all. Vine Maple - Acer circinatum is a species of maple native to western North America, from southwest British Columbia to northern California, usually within 300 kilometres of the Pacific Ocean coast, found along the Columbia Gorge and Coastal Forest.

It will smoke, for certain, but burns HOT. So if you absolutely need something to get a fire going when it's raining, I can suggest this.
Attached Thumbnails
VineMaple.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #35

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Emergency food

Quite an interesting plant. If you run out of food boondocking, you can eat it too, exercising due care!

I got curious and found this, quoting:
Human consumption of the Vine Maple as food source is usually limited to emergency situations. The sap of all maples is edible, although the eastern maples have a superior taste--most of us are familiar with maple-flavored syrup. Young shoots may be eaten like asparagus either raw or steamed. However, the older leaves are poisonous to people. The inner bark of all maples may be eaten if one were to need some food to survive.
Vine Maple (Acer circinatum), Pacific northwest native tree

Nothing about using it a as a fire starter, however.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #36

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post

Nothing about using it a as a fire starter, however.
Probably because the forestry folks don't want anyone to know. As wet as the weather is here, there would be stripped forests when people want fires
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #37

Name: kc
Trailer: shopping
Louisiana
We combine harbor frt. magnesium with Colman striker. Also for emergency back up have experimented the strikers used by wielders with dryer lint and very dry leaves. You can get these strikers any place that sells wielding rods this includes. Harbor Freight On you tube there is a Russian surviver Guy shows how to coat matches with nail polish,he said this makes them water proof
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #38

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I've found that those boxes that contain waterproof matches, are not themselves waterproof. The strike strip turns to mush, so you can't light the matches anyway.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #39

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've found that those boxes that contain waterproof matches, are not themselves waterproof. The strike strip turns to mush, so you can't light the matches anyway.
Yup pretty well have to use a rock to get them light if the box gets wet. Even then if the match wood has also gotten wet that can result in nothing more than a quick spark or the match head flying off in a direction you do not want it going.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post

On the model we have we can push a button to send an email update to a predetermined list of people (I'm out riding, having a great time...), or the "help me now" button which sends out the SOS and gives exact location. I don't think we can talk to the rescue center, but at least they know where we are.
Good to hear sounds like you have the right emergency communications device for your usage. My feeling is everyone who plays in the back country should have such a device with them.

The only reason I went with the unit that has the 2 way communication function is due to it being used in the high mountain backcountry in winter. Often in areas that are assessable only by air I.E. dropped off by a helicopter and spend a few days on the mountain before being picked back up by helicopter or skiing out. Poor weather can result in delays in pick up or return to agreed pick up spot or if someone is hurt poor weather will play a part in delaying help in getting to your location - so having 2 way communications in those situations is big plus.

If your mainly playing in areas that are accessible by foot or snow mobile as it sounds like you are, then it probable is not a needed extra feature/expense.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #41

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Mike, that sounds like a transition thing. The lint needs something more to catch before moving up to a log or kindling or charcoal. So you'd start with lint, add some dry, broken twigs, and then gradually keep adding more beefy material.
Well, the lint didn't even want to finish burning, let alone catch anything else on fire!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #42

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
By the way it really helps to use a windscreen around most stoves, particularly the alcohol stoves. Helps heating things faster and uses less fuel. Something like this shield work very well (Amazon): HIGHROCK® Lightweight Compact Folding Camp Stove Windscreen

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456272310.222457.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	92813

For years I carried the rim from a cake mould similar to this. It would be wrapped around the pot kit while travelling and opened up and placed around the camp stove in windy conditions. They are available in second hand stores for a buck or two.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV