Magnesium Fire Starter -- Cave Campground, Lassen National Forest - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #57

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here on the WET coast we have a plant/tree that will burn when green or dripping wet, leaves and all. Vine Maple - Acer circinatum is a species of maple native to western North America, from southwest British Columbia to northern California, usually within 300 kilometres of the Pacific Ocean coast, found along the Columbia Gorge and Coastal Forest.

It will smoke, for certain, but burns HOT. So if you absolutely need something to get a fire going when it's raining, I can suggest this.
Ummm, how to put this? I think that is a picture of a thimble berry? But I'm one of those forestry folks who didn't know that vine maple burned well unless dry. I've sure cussed at it a lot. It is nasty to walk through, or cut because it whips back at you. I do know it burns hot when seasoned.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #58

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Ummm, how to put this? I think that is a picture of a thimble berry? But I'm one of those forestry folks who didn't know that vine maple burned well unless dry. I've sure cussed at it a lot. It is nasty to walk through, or cut because it whips back at you. I do know it burns hot when seasoned.
That's a Google image when I searched, but that's what I remember it looked like, but we know what happens to a rememberer as we age!

My dad was the one that taught me about Vine Maple and cold rain. He hacked off a thin, leafy limb in the pouring down rain. Took his knife to the bark and core until it looked like it was just a stick of hair. Did that to a bunch of this "brush" (as he called it). Struck it with a long fireplace match and it took off! This was in a fire pit, protected from wind... but boy was that rain cold. We had a nice hot fire.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #59

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
That's a Google image when I searched, but that's what I remember it looked like, but we know what happens to a rememberer as we age!

My dad was the one that taught me about Vine Maple and cold rain. He hacked off a thin, leafy limb in the pouring down rain. Took his knife to the bark and core until it looked like it was just a stick of hair. Did that to a bunch of this "brush" (as he called it). Struck it with a long fireplace match and it took off! This was in a fire pit, protected from wind... but boy was that rain cold. We had a nice hot fire.
I'd take a picture of mine but it hasn't leafed out yet. I burned some slash this morning and was contemplating this. I'll try that sometime. I used a fusee (road flare) and dry kindling to get my fires going this morning.

Sekrit forestry trick--not recommended but has been done and only in the winter when snow is on the ground and will be on the ground for days to come--never do this, etc. but I heered that you can light the dry moss on a dead lodgepole and it will run up the tree. If the tree is recently dead, and conditions are just right, the needles will light and you have a big torch. Of course, I have never done anything like that...

You can also pour saw gas down a hole in a stump and that provides a nice lunch fire--same conditions as the tree thing and same disclaimer...
Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #60

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:

I suspect that the high flammability of the vine maple and the fact that it has nutritional value is related to its high sugar content. Any botanist/arborist hanging out here to confirm this speculation?