Magnesium Fire Starter -- Cave Campground, Lassen National Forest - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Mike, that sounds like a transition thing. The lint needs something more to catch before moving up to a log or kindling or charcoal. So you'd start with lint, add some dry, broken twigs, and then gradually keep adding more beefy material.
Well, the lint didn't even want to finish burning, let alone catch anything else on fire!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #42

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
By the way it really helps to use a windscreen around most stoves, particularly the alcohol stoves. Helps heating things faster and uses less fuel. Something like this shield work very well (Amazon): HIGHROCK® Lightweight Compact Folding Camp Stove Windscreen

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456272310.222457.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	92813

For years I carried the rim from a cake mould similar to this. It would be wrapped around the pot kit while travelling and opened up and placed around the camp stove in windy conditions. They are available in second hand stores for a buck or two.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #43

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Magnesium Fire Starter -- Cave Campground, Lassen National Forest

I use the Weber cubes to light my fires. I think it's paraffin wax. There are videos on YouTube where they float it on water for an hour and it'll still light. It'll light with a magnesium and steel fire starter. They're also small, last about 15 to 20 minutes and you don't have to worry about spilling liquids. They're also very light, inexpensive, and can be found at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot for under $4 for 24 cubes. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456274528.773373.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	92815

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just don't mix them up with your Nicorette gum.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #45

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
The cake mold windscreen is an elegant solution to the problem of windy conditions. Never heard of that one.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #46

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just don't mix them up with your Nicorette gum.
They're not quite that small! I've used these before, but for some reason the aesthetics of a wood chip/paraffin stick seems more palatable for my fire. Those stark white, unnatural-looking cubes just shout "hazardous chemicals" to my brain; valid or invalid, I recoil from using them. Oh well, I'm weird.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #47

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I use the Weber cubes to light my fires. I think it's paraffin wax. There are videos on YouTube where they float it on water for an hour and it'll still light. It'll light with a magnesium and steel fire starter. They're also small, last about 15 to 20 minutes and you don't have to worry about spilling liquids. They're also very light, inexpensive,
I know folks who use those paraffin cubes to light the charcoal in the chimneys for Dutch Oven cooking. Seem to work well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #48

Name: Marky
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
They're not quite that small! I've used these before, but for some reason the aesthetics of a wood chip/paraffin stick seems more palatable for my fire. Those stark white, unnatural-looking cubes just shout "hazardous chemicals" to my brain; valid or invalid, I recoil from using them. Oh well, I'm weird.

I know what you mean about the chemicals. I figure if they do add anything to the wax, it's probably something petroleum based like charcoal starter fluid. It's just used to start the fire. So by the time the fire is started it'll probably burn off any unwanted chemicals.
The best way to get a fire going is to use a little bit of muscle, a bow and lots of pressure on a stick with a little moss on the end.

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #49

Oklahoma
Marky, no chemicals in that last fire starter, for sure! Unless one counts the pain reliever after applying all that pressure... lol
Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Everything on and in this earth and the universe is made of chemicals.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #51

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Well, the lint didn't even want to finish burning, let alone catch anything else on fire!
Aha. This must have been some pretty defective lint!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #52

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I always use Rutland Safe Lite fire starters for charcoal or wood fires. They look like sawdust and wax pressed together. They burn hot for 10 minutes. I've never had them fail. These seem to be very popular with Big Green Egg owners (not a trailer, it's a grill).

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Safe-S...d+fire+starter
Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #53

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Aha. This must have been some pretty defective lint!
Yup, the lint was loaded with some fire retardant chemicals, for our own benefit...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #54

Oklahoma
Fire retardants in our clothing, that must have been it! Well, you just can't depend on dryer lint from our house. From now on, it's navel lint for me...
Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #55

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Navel lint

Quote:
Fire retardants in our clothing, that must have been it! Well, you just can't depend on dryer lint from our house. From now on, it's navel lint for me...
MIKE! MIKE! Please remember to remove lint from navel before lighting
Old 02-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #56

Oklahoma
Quote:
MIKE! MIKE! Please remember to remove lint from navel before lighting
NOW he tells me! (typing from the burn ward)

Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #57

Name: P
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here on the WET coast we have a plant/tree that will burn when green or dripping wet, leaves and all. Vine Maple - Acer circinatum is a species of maple native to western North America, from southwest British Columbia to northern California, usually within 300 kilometres of the Pacific Ocean coast, found along the Columbia Gorge and Coastal Forest.

It will smoke, for certain, but burns HOT. So if you absolutely need something to get a fire going when it's raining, I can suggest this.
Ummm, how to put this? I think that is a picture of a thimble berry? But I'm one of those forestry folks who didn't know that vine maple burned well unless dry. I've sure cussed at it a lot. It is nasty to walk through, or cut because it whips back at you. I do know it burns hot when seasoned.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Ummm, how to put this? I think that is a picture of a thimble berry? But I'm one of those forestry folks who didn't know that vine maple burned well unless dry. I've sure cussed at it a lot. It is nasty to walk through, or cut because it whips back at you. I do know it burns hot when seasoned.
That's a Google image when I searched, but that's what I remember it looked like, but we know what happens to a rememberer as we age!

My dad was the one that taught me about Vine Maple and cold rain. He hacked off a thin, leafy limb in the pouring down rain. Took his knife to the bark and core until it looked like it was just a stick of hair. Did that to a bunch of this "brush" (as he called it). Struck it with a long fireplace match and it took off! This was in a fire pit, protected from wind... but boy was that rain cold. We had a nice hot fire.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #59

Name: P
Washington
Quote:
That's a Google image when I searched, but that's what I remember it looked like, but we know what happens to a rememberer as we age!

My dad was the one that taught me about Vine Maple and cold rain. He hacked off a thin, leafy limb in the pouring down rain. Took his knife to the bark and core until it looked like it was just a stick of hair. Did that to a bunch of this "brush" (as he called it). Struck it with a long fireplace match and it took off! This was in a fire pit, protected from wind... but boy was that rain cold. We had a nice hot fire.
I'd take a picture of mine but it hasn't leafed out yet. I burned some slash this morning and was contemplating this. I'll try that sometime. I used a fusee (road flare) and dry kindling to get my fires going this morning.

Sekrit forestry trick--not recommended but has been done and only in the winter when snow is on the ground and will be on the ground for days to come--never do this, etc. but I heered that you can light the dry moss on a dead lodgepole and it will run up the tree. If the tree is recently dead, and conditions are just right, the needles will light and you have a big torch. Of course, I have never done anything like that...

You can also pour saw gas down a hole in a stump and that provides a nice lunch fire--same conditions as the tree thing and same disclaimer...
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #60

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:

I suspect that the high flammability of the vine maple and the fact that it has nutritional value is related to its high sugar content. Any botanist/arborist hanging out here to confirm this speculation?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote