Maiden Voyage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Maiden Voyage

Well....after a couple false starts, we're doing our Maiden Voyage in our yet-to-be-named 1999 Casita SD. We've been "interupted by life" after buying our Casita in May - a bunch of things at work, a high school graduation, planned family beach vacation, lots of little league baseball. All good stuff! We are camping at Cheraw State Park, a great SC state park about 30 miles from us. Susan, me, our 14 year old son. I have admired the campground many times over the years while taking my Boy Scouts there for primitive camping. We're going to use this as a shake down trip....we've done some prelim work in our driveway....going to use this trip to get practice with the systems, setup, etc in a campground environment. Weather looks good, but still glad we have AC! Our next trip will be to Dreher Island SP, near Columbia, in September. We're using our "egg" for home base while visiting our daughter at Univ of SC for Parents Weekend. Fun stuff!
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good luck on your maiden voyage. Judy & I are getting close to our maiden voyage in our, new to us, 1999 Casita SD. Its taken a little longer than anticipated to get ready. Let us know what things work out.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Enjoy your trip!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Good luck on your Maiden Voyage have lots of fun ! Just remember we will need a full report when you get home. Some of use did not get to camp this week end and it helps us get over the upset
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Well...we are back...and what a wonderful time we had! Cheraw SP is a hidden treasure, only 40 miles (no interstate) from our home in Florence, SC. My first time camping in our Egg....previously tents, popups, tarps, backs of minivans! What a difference. The campground overlooks Juniper Lake, and we had a nice breeze. Sand Hills of South Carolina and we ran the Fantastic Fan last night...and even needed blankets by morning. We rented the campsite for Sat and Sun night, even though we weren't planning to stay Sunday. We did want to hang out as long as we could...and did so until about 5 pm (afternoon heat forced us to bring out the awning and turn on the AC).

I learned a few things about my camper. There's a musty smell coming from under the sink/water tank area. Gotta check into that. Nothing wet, but noticed some mildew spots and a slight smell when open the cabinets. Our awning may need some attention...it rolls in crooked and one side binds right toward the end. Also, noticed a fresh water leak in the gasket right under the foot pedal on the toilet (thru which water flows to "flush" - not the bad stuff, thankfully!). Anyway all this stuff is minor...it's a 1999 SD.

I did flush my water tank. Figured out that you only hear the water pump when the faucets are turned on (duh)....and also that it's hard to light the burner on the stove when the Fantastic Fan is on full! Our bed was quite comfy - I don't think we're going to need any kind of extra mattress cover (I'm not a big guy...5'10, 160#...so my wife and I fit nicely).

I think we're going to go to Table Rock SP up near the SC/NC state line in a couple weeks Then the Dreher Island trip for Univ of SC Parents weekend.

Very happy with the Casita. We're off to a good start, hopefully many, many more years of enjoyment. This 25 hour period was like a vacation right in the middle of life!
Attached Thumbnails
071512_Cheraw SP.jpg  
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Sounds like an over all wonderful week end. All of you are going to have a wonderful time with the camper.

Anytime you have a new or even just new to you there are going to be small problems in "the learning curve". Now you know that some of them are not something you did wrong and will be easy/simple( ok maybe not easy or simple)fixes at least you know they are "do able". Right now I can just see a lot of MODS in your future and the good thing is even when you do mods on the camper it is a family event.

OH,just to add my oldest grandson & his parents are very into Scouts.DD(his Mom) is Cub Scout pack Master and both parents are members of the District Round Table in Little Rock,AR. DGS will go to Boy scouts in Feb they are all excited about that. DD will stay with Cubs and DSIL will work with both. We all greatly enjoy all kinds of outdoor stuff & camping just adds to the joy.

Happy Camping ...Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote