MAIDEN VOYAGE COMPLETED - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
We have just completed our first (4000 mile) journey in the Burro. Here are a few notes and observations

1. The first three days on the road you WILL go to the hardware store every morning!!
Things added - dish towel rack, bath towel rack, pasta strainer, fresh water hose, metal spikes for the pop-up screen room, more and more hooks for everything.

2. Even if your tires look like they have a lot of tread, if they are of unknown age - you WILL leave all the tread from at least one tire on the highway. Luckily, we were at a filling station when we noticed we were riding on that flat grey, inner tube looking thing!!

3. If you unscrew all the odds and ends that don't work and take them to the RV store closest to your first night"s stop, they can replace all those little parts and they will ALL FIT!! We replaced the hosecap on the sink drain, the cover for the land plug, the drain for the fresh water tank and did not have to replace the hand pump for the sink - just the tube that had a slit in it!!

4. You WILL learn to back into a parking spot as a team without screaming unless you want to be the evening entertainment for all the neighbors enjoying drinks on their patios.

5. You can fill your automobile tank with gas, go to the bathroom, buy lunch, take the dogs on a potty break while the guy next to you in the big rig is still filling his gas tank .

6. If you can snake back there, you can fill the little cubbys under the bed and behind the wheel wells with every valuable treasure you found. It's like Ft. Knox, no one will ever get to them.

7. This is your lucky number - last but definitely not least, you will have the most delightful trip of your life and never have to lug one single suitcase up one flight of stairs - and your own pillow is always there waiting. You can cook a lot of your own food and eat healthy - we lost five # in three weeks!!

Thank everyone for all their help getting on the road. Anyone can feel free to add to this list if they can remember their first trip. YeeHaw - Christi
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Congrats! on your first trip

Yup . . . Hardware stores, RV shops, Canadian Tire, GI Joes . . . . all will be visited frequently at first.

My first night parking by myself was no picnic!!! After amusing the neighbors for quite some time as I practised backing (over and over and over) I finally got my little trailer into the spot. I was half-way unhooked and set-up (and it was almost dark) when along comes another camper who informs me that I'm in his spot!!

And, yes . . . he cared which spot he was in. However, after watching me pull out and try to back in to the spot I was supposed to be in a couple of times (by now all the neighbors are REALLY enjoying themselves), the guy's wife made him help me. They were really very nice (they had a well-loved older Bigfoot) and he gave me some good tips.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I found I had so much more storage space in the 17 than the 13, that I had to break myself of the "Bin" habit. On my first trip out last week, I spent a whole day taking things out and putting them in permanent spots (Including those nooks and crannies for the seldom used items) and reorganizing the bins so I am now down to 3.

When I moved my stuff from one trailer to another, they were parked door to door and basically, it was a toss and stuff action.

I have no idea where my expensive lantern has gone. I know I didn't leave it in the 13, it was in a big case, hard to miss... the case is not so big by comparison to the 17 cubbies.

I should search under that back bench...

Anyway, I also learned that awnings are TALLER than me, and that it takes just a little longer to strike

I'll get better at it. I think I should go practice somewhere.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
4. You WILL learn to back into a parking spot as a team [b]without screaming unless you want to be the evening entertainment for all the neighbors enjoying drinks on their patios.

Anyone can feel free to add to this list if they can remember their first trip.
You learned that on your [b]1st trip???

It took me considerable longer...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
After almost 5 years, we still manage to be the campgrounds entertainment for all the neighbors from time to time. We figure it this way, at least we get the first spat out of the way just as soon as we arrive. I am terrible at giving directions and don't have any judgement when it comes to how many more feet the trailer needs to come back. My husband gets so mad at me when we are getting the trailer backed up. Once we have it backed up and in place I usually spot another camp site I think would be better. At least I have learned to get out and look over the site before Berry starts to back up.

Ellen B.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
dare i suggest...

Have hubby give the directions while YOU do the backing?

I always do better, almost effortless, WITHOUT help, tho I have had my moments.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
RIGHT ARM Gina....LOL
Thats EGGsakerly how The Trailer Queen an I get parked!!
I YELL and she steers
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ah the sweaty palms! I've gotten pretty good at backing into a spot...but that wasn't always the case. Second time out I became the evenings entertainment for the campers around my spot. Jack knifed the truck/trailer backing it. Got stuck between two trees and had to litterly inch my way out. In the end, it was a great way to meet my neighbors. When the trailer was finally in its designated spot (abet a bit crooked). I got out of the truck and took a huge bow and did the Rose Festival Wave to everyone. Opened the trailer door, grabbed a chair and brew..then collapsed on my bottom for about 30 minutes before I did another thing.

Whew, good thing someone from America's Funniest Videos wasn't filming.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
another camper who informs me that I'm in his spot!!

And, yes . . . he cared which spot he was in.

Anne this also happpend to me and thank God I had just has my leveling jacks welded onto the frame so set up only takes about 10 minutes instead of the 30 minutes it use to take with little blocks of wood and jack stands.
My wife and I enjoyed the whole story about the Maiden Voyage and brought up some funny / Tense moments trying to back into a site with deep culverts on both sides of road so I would have liked to have 4 sets of eyes to see front corner of truck and back corners of Lady-Bug.
Most of the time if we forgot it we do without unless we are on an extended trip. I cant see owning more then one stove or lantern maybe small items we can get.
Gerry teh canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote