Make a little girl happy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
A Grandma is trying to make her Granddaughter's 6th birthday special... She is trying to get as many cards as possible for her from all over.. It's short notice cause her Bday is on the 6th of Nov. But if you can, send her 1 it will make her day... I sent her 1 from Blue Beard the Pirate & my Macaws.. Madyson Wilson 5649 Oakdale Rd. Knightdale, NC 27545 Thanks & Safe Travels............
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Are you certain this is legitimate? The post office doesn't know about zip code 27945.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Are you certain this is legitimate? The post office doesn't know about zip code 27945.

-- Dan Meyer
Knightdale zip code is 27545. I searched Snopes and at least nothing popped up for Madyson Wilson. Hummm
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Kconley

I believe your heart is in the right place but on this one however, all I have ever observed over my time here at fiberglassrv is that this board is really about all things fiberglass rv (and recreational use thereof) and not making little childrens wishes come true...there must be other venues out on the www to distribute this kind of messaging.

I'm not a moderator and I will leave it up to their excellent judgment but I don't believe this is the place.

My .02
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
kconley,

Can you provide some kind of link to the original grandmother's request?

Edited to add: I agree with the other posters (so far), in that unless this is the child of a member here (and even then...), it's probably better not to post this sort of thing here. Especially with no additional information (like, is this your granddaughter?).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Lets NOT start doing this on this site.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #7

There really isn't a hard restriction for General Chat, other than you agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Website to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violation of any law. Further, you agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this Website. And, abusive linking to or from other sites will be removed. Also, any Name Callin', Flamin', Preachin', Politickin', or Sellin' will be removed.

Looking back at what's been posted the past 30 days we've discussed everything from trips to caskets.

Just remember that General Chat is similar to "Cheers" format, don't take anything too seriously. Come hang out, meet your friends.

So, while the request for sending a birthday card and providing the contact information may not fit most of the forums, it does indeed suit General Chat. It like everything here, if you choose not to participate (or read) that is a personal choice.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
A very wise and eloquent moderator we have!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 AM   #9

SORRY TO HAVE STEPPED ON SOME TOES................... Thanks Donna D I did hit the wrong # in the zip... It is indeed 27545... Was no orginial post to link to... She is just a 6 yr old little girl.. Like Donna D said if you don't want to read or send a card then don't............. Please feel free to remove the post ... Sorry I asked you guys to do something nice.........

Sorry for venting.... I wasn't starting a chain letter or anything... Just think when something as simple as a card or call can make someone Happy... Why not... Again, SORRY for the post.....
Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #10

kconley,

Don't be sorry! As Donna pointed out, your topic is suitable for general chat.

But perhaps it would be nice to know something more about the girl or grandmother, even if there isn't a link. Like, are they related to you or friends of friends? Or, where did you hear about it? That sort of thing.

Raya
Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #11

It's the granddaughter of a lady we see every 3 weeks at UNC.. She is getting treatments like my wife for the next year... It just seemed like a simple request to make a kid smile.... we have never met her, but Grandma is a great gal going thru some bad times.... Thanks to all... Kenn
Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks for the explanation. I actually already thru a quick card in the mail from Colorado, just cause I couldn't see what it would hurt. I wasn't sending my ss# or bank account. Figured what the heck. Very nice of you to get people interested in making someone smile.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #13

Kenn,

Thanks for the additional info. For me, it wasn't like I didn't want to honor a simple request, but just that it's kind of "faceless" unless we hear more about it -- didn't know if it was someone you knew, something you saw in a magazine or on TV or whatever.

I think it's nice to add a bit of information to a request for a favor - it doesn't mean we were being big meanies or anything.

It's nice of you to want to help someone out

I hope things go well for her and for your wife. Best wishes to all of you.

Raya
Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
If I can offer a little 20-20 hindsight... it **might** have been better if your original post went something like this...

Hi all - the daughter of a (dear) friend in NC is having some (serious) medical issues and to cheer her up on her upcoming b-day, her Grandma is trying to get b-day cards to her from all over the country. I told her that I would ask here... It's short notice....[then follow up with the rest of your post]

That way it lets the readers know that YOU personally know the child - as opposed to some internet thing that may or may not be true, and it personalizes the issue a bit.

Thus Free Advice and worh EVERY PENNY!

(hope the little one is OK)

Quote:
A Grandma is trying to make her Granddaughter's 6th birthday special... She is trying to get as many cards as possible for her from all over.. It's short notice cause her Bday is on the 6th of Nov. But if you can, send her 1 it will make her day... I sent her 1 from Blue Beard the Pirate & my Macaws.. Madyson Wilson 5649 Oakdale Rd. Knightdale, NC 27545 Thanks & Safe Travels............
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #15

Thank You all... We are heading to UNC today & will see Grandma & let her know there is some surprizes on the way for Madyson.....Kenn
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #16

THANKS to All that sent cards & more to Madyson.. She had a wonderful time with the over 400 cards she received from all over the world... She even got a few gifts from ALASKA, Hawaii & England... I had a wonderful visit at her school. They had over 40 kids to meet the Macaws & put me in the All Purpose room... Again, THANKS to all.. Kenn
Old 11-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #17

I love it when a plan comes together! And sorry if some thought it was a scam. We all get these things in our inboxes. File this under lessons learned about how to post.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hmmm. Kenn - What's become of your avatar? You've had one of the coolest avatars ever... I hope it's not gone for good! (Did you remove it, or do we have some kind of system glitch going on?)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Hmmm. Kenn - What's become of your avatar? You've had one of the coolest avatars ever... I hope it's not gone for good! (Did you remove it, or do we have some kind of system glitch going on?)

Thanks Mary, I didn't notice it was gone... Back now.....