Make do - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
In another post someone said they use the microwave as an alternate to a kettle. We use a coffee maker to "boil" water for tea, just by pouring water through without coffee in the canister.

Everyone tries I think, to minimize what they take along camping. Invariably you forget to take something along that you "really needed" but found an alternate way of getting or doing what you need. I thought it'd be fun to see how others "make do" using alternate methods to achieve the same results when you're in a pinch. Not just hot water but anything else....
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with Mack the tug)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kelley_Kettle_004.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	29128

Interesting idea, reminded me of the Kelly kettle I take camping. I set it up on a table or stump and with a few sticks I start a fire in the base and soon have boiling water for tea. It works surprisingly well . I made the box a few years ago and used deer antlers for the handle and latch. The case holds all the utensiles for a good cup of tea. For those who know me through the Boler rallies you know I am a talker and I like to meet people and I really use the case and kettle as a way to meet people and and start a conversation. The case and kettle are just enough of a curiosity to break the ice and has worked well in the last few years and I have made many friends with it and had many great conversations. I always go by the rule I learned when backpacking "for an object to be worth taking it has to have more than one job."
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
When in Cheyenne preparing for the Chuck Wagon Cookoff as part of Frontier Days, we found it took considerable time to cook the beans. Altitude lowered the boiling point of the water. Even when cooked the texture was off. We decided to improvise a pressure cooker. Real pressure cookers were not allowed but improvising was something else. Simply, we took a standard large pot, made a gasket from greased muslin, and weighted the cover down with a cast iron frying pan. The arrangement allowed the pressure to build up enough to shorten the cooking time without blowing up the pot. (Our neighbors concern)
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
When in Cheyenne preparing for the Chuck Wagon Cookoff as part of Frontier Days, we found it took considerable time to cook the beans. Altitude lowered the boiling point of the water. Even when cooked the texture was off. We decided to improvise a pressure cooker. Real pressure cookers were not allowed but improvising was something else. Simply, we took a standard large pot, made a gasket from greased muslin, and weighted the cover down with a cast iron frying pan. The arrangement allowed the pressure to build up enough to shorten the cooking time without blowing up the pot. (Our neighbors concern)
Are you going to be there again this year? I thought it was going on now, but I guess it starts next month (according to their web site). I'd like to come up. We love going to those Cookoffs.

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Are you going to be there again this year? I thought it was going on now, but I guess it starts next month (according to their web site). I'd like to come up. We love going to those Cookoffs.

Keith
Sorry about the less than definitive answer but right now I am not sure. We applied late so we wait for a last minute opening. I think I'll see about appling for the 2011 cookoff and start getting ready now. The fellow I cook with is an excellent wagon maker so we always have a good wagon. It is in July. Calgary Stampede is the first of July and Cheyenne is a couple of weeks later.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Sorry about the less than definitive answer but right now I am not sure. We applied late so we wait for a last minute opening. I think I'll see about appling for the 2011 cookoff and start getting ready now. The fellow I cook with is an excellent wagon maker so we always have a good wagon. It is in July. Calgary Stampede is the first of July and Cheyenne is a couple of weeks later.
Thanks, if you do decide to go to Cheyene, let me know, please, and we'll get up there for sure. We have friends in Moosejaw, SK, which isn't too far from Calgary. Maybe we can get up there too and do it all.

Regards,

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Ed, the Kelly Kettle looks pretty nifty..what's the story on the origins? Is it a guide backpacker kind of thing?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with Mack the tug)
Hi Mike, the origin is Irish. The kettle was used by Irish fisherman and gipsies. It is a double wall aluminum and the fire is made in the base and the heat goes up the center as a chimney. The kettle will boil water very fast and Sterno can also be used. They are available from Lee Valley a Canadian Company and they come in two sizes mine is the small one. If you have not heard about Lee Valley they are the best company to deal with for woodworking tools,gardening tools etc. Lee Valley is the best in quality and their customer service is the best I have ever delt with.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
One time I forgot to bring a tea kettle that I use for making drip coffee using paper filters and a Melita cone set-up.

I did have a small stainless copper bottom skillet. With the lid on it boiled water quicker than the tea kettle, I presume due to the large flat copper bottom. It actually surprised me how well it poured.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Another time early in the morning the first day out, I found I had forgotten to bring coffee filters. A paper towel folded as well as possible into a cone shape worked good enough for that one time, until later in the day when I passed by a grocery store.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
Another time early in the morning the first day out, I found I had forgotten to bring coffee filters. A paper towel folded as well as possible into a cone shape worked good enough for that one time, until later in the day when I passed by a grocery store.

As an after thought T P works as a coffee filter as well
K Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Everyone tries I think, to minimize what they take along camping.
I used to have a Percolator to make coffee when we were boondocking and a Mr.Coffee for when we had hook-ups. I got rid of both of those and now use a Coleman Stove Top Coffeemaker all of the time. I have experienced having the whole campground loose power first thing in the morning, and like being able to switch to boondocking mode right away.