Make your Trailer Level without tire shims - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #15

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
We use the Dewalt drill and the yellow rampy thing but that does look slick.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Found this in JC Whitney's RV section - By BAL RV group - has anyone used this? Description and photo is below. Cost is 90$

LIGHT TRAILER TIRE LEVELER
  • Levels any single-axle light trailer from side to side in minutes!

Lifts the tire-no pressure put on trailer chassis
  • Fits most 13", 14" or 15" tires
Easy! Park trailer. Place leveler around low-side tire and ratchet screw until trailer is level. Eliminates the need for moving trailer onto blocks or ramps to level. Heavy-duty tubular steel with corrosion-resistant finish. Includes ratchet.
Hi Pam.This is one of the first things we purchased after we got our Boler.Love it.Quick and easy.Trailer is level in no time.Some find it a bit heavy but heck we carry a lot of things that are heavier and don't have the value added aspect.We bought a small duffel bag to transport it in.Pat.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
This does look intreasting! Not sure I can put it on my must have list just yet though as I have the same Ramble blocks Floyd uses. I find them easy to use, light and take little space to stow. They are cheap and way easier to carry than the wood planks and blocks I used the first year. :-) When not in use under the trailer wheels the blocks can have other uses - I often use them under the rear jacks as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
We carry several lengths of 2x8 lumber (about 12 to 18 inches each) in the back of the truck, plus some extras for under the jacks for a stable set.
In most camp sites, once you've chosen a fairly level spot, backing up or driving forward on a length of 2x8 placed under one tire is sufficient to level the trailer, after checking the bubbles. Low tech, and cheap.
I have also seen the BAL in use. Nice product, but a lot more work than just using one short plank in most situations.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #19

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
We use the Dewalt drill and the yellow rampy thing but that does look slick.
What do you all use the Dewalt drill for?????????

I have the ball leveler and have had trouble getting it around my wheel. It is heavy but --------once on the wheel no one is going to hook up your camper and take off with it while you are out hiking. It is also a good theft preventative.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #20

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Karalyn:

To put the jacks down on the 5th wheel. Otherwise you would be all day at it.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use a BAL leveler and BAL wheel chock. I don't leave home without them. Leveler travels in a red pizza delivery bag. Works great.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #22

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Mine didn't work well with my 15" wheels, because the space between the arms was a bit too narrow. I read a post on another forum about some guy who used a floor jack to spread the arms just a bit, and sure enough, it works. But I think I had to Jack it out about five inches to get an inch of deformation, because it's springy and it comes right back. I crept up on it an inch at a time. Now I don't have to dig out around the tire or kick it a lot to slide the BAL into place.

Does anyone know if you can use these things with a double axle trailer? I'm not buying two. ( I think the price has gone up!)

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
i used the blocks and after my last trip to Yosemite - i bought a BAL the next day. we got there much later than planned, but we called the rangers ahead to let them know we were late. they said no problem and when we got to our camp site, the ranger shack was closed with the marker board listing late arrivals camp site numbers and open sites next to it. no where on the reserved late arrivals list was our name and we were very worried - since our 13' UHaul is not a tent and we weren't sure how many of the available sites were for tent camping only! it was dark and really rough terrain at this campground and i had to drive around to spot the best open site in the dark.

not having done that so well we found a site that i could at least pull the truck and CT into and i ended up using every board and rock and some of our firewood to get that danged thing level in the dark! if i had the BAL i would have parked and cranked it up - done. of course the next morning the ranger stopped by and said i did a good job of setting up at a tent camp site - she was very forgiving when i informed her of the situation we were put in the night before.

i love the idea of pizza delivery bag to store it - i'm off to eBay to find one!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #24

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
We have a these BAL leveler; rather than store it in a pizza bag I welded some brackets to our Scamp 5er's frame and created a "locking" storage spot.

We never had a problem with getting the BAL under our trailer when we had 13" rims, by the way. I've had to work at it a bit since getting new, larger 14" rims and tires, but have always gotten it under.
Attached Thumbnails
BAL Leveler Storage (1).JPG  
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
I like the idea of the Pizza Delivery Box and I think I'll order one up also. However, since it's closed up in my trailer, which is covered and wrapped, I can't measure it for size.
Please, could someone measure what size the unit is? I see many Pizza delivery box sizes.
Thanks to anyone that can help.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
We have a these BAL leveler; rather than store it in a pizza bag I welded some brackets to our Scamp 5er's frame and created a "locking" storage spot.

We never had a problem with getting the BAL under our trailer when we had 13" rims, by the way. I've had to work at it a bit since getting new, larger 14" rims and tires, but have always gotten it under.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #26

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
How do you guys and gals get the pizza delivery bags? Call for pizza and then mug the Domino's delivery person? Lee
Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #27

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Lee, that is my question exactly. I never knew you could buy a pizza delivery bag so I just checked ebay and there are loads to choose from.. all different sizes!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #28

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Pam Wow!! Who knew ? (I still think my idea is more cost effective). Lee