Make your Trailer Level without tire shims - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use a BAL leveler and BAL wheel chock. I don't leave home without them. Leveler travels in a red pizza delivery bag. Works great.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Mine didn't work well with my 15" wheels, because the space between the arms was a bit too narrow. I read a post on another forum about some guy who used a floor jack to spread the arms just a bit, and sure enough, it works. But I think I had to Jack it out about five inches to get an inch of deformation, because it's springy and it comes right back. I crept up on it an inch at a time. Now I don't have to dig out around the tire or kick it a lot to slide the BAL into place.

Does anyone know if you can use these things with a double axle trailer? I'm not buying two. ( I think the price has gone up!)

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
i used the blocks and after my last trip to Yosemite - i bought a BAL the next day. we got there much later than planned, but we called the rangers ahead to let them know we were late. they said no problem and when we got to our camp site, the ranger shack was closed with the marker board listing late arrivals camp site numbers and open sites next to it. no where on the reserved late arrivals list was our name and we were very worried - since our 13' UHaul is not a tent and we weren't sure how many of the available sites were for tent camping only! it was dark and really rough terrain at this campground and i had to drive around to spot the best open site in the dark.

not having done that so well we found a site that i could at least pull the truck and CT into and i ended up using every board and rock and some of our firewood to get that danged thing level in the dark! if i had the BAL i would have parked and cranked it up - done. of course the next morning the ranger stopped by and said i did a good job of setting up at a tent camp site - she was very forgiving when i informed her of the situation we were put in the night before.

i love the idea of pizza delivery bag to store it - i'm off to eBay to find one!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We have a these BAL leveler; rather than store it in a pizza bag I welded some brackets to our Scamp 5er's frame and created a "locking" storage spot.

We never had a problem with getting the BAL under our trailer when we had 13" rims, by the way. I've had to work at it a bit since getting new, larger 14" rims and tires, but have always gotten it under.
Attached Thumbnails
BAL Leveler Storage (1).JPG  
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
I like the idea of the Pizza Delivery Box and I think I'll order one up also. However, since it's closed up in my trailer, which is covered and wrapped, I can't measure it for size.
Please, could someone measure what size the unit is? I see many Pizza delivery box sizes.
Thanks to anyone that can help.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
We have a these BAL leveler; rather than store it in a pizza bag I welded some brackets to our Scamp 5er's frame and created a "locking" storage spot.

We never had a problem with getting the BAL under our trailer when we had 13" rims, by the way. I've had to work at it a bit since getting new, larger 14" rims and tires, but have always gotten it under.
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
How do you guys and gals get the pizza delivery bags? Call for pizza and then mug the Domino's delivery person? Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Lee, that is my question exactly. I never knew you could buy a pizza delivery bag so I just checked ebay and there are loads to choose from.. all different sizes!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #28

Pam Wow!! Who knew ? (I still think my idea is more cost effective). Lee
Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #29

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My pizza bag is 21" x 21" x 4".
Old 11-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
thanks for the dimensions.
if only i could weld - i really like Peter's no-fooling-around solution ... very cool!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #31

Tom;
Thanks also. I was able to use 2 zippers on my cover to get into my Bigfoot and measured it out at 19 1/2"W X 20 1/2" L and about 2 1/2" H, so a 20 X 20 X 3"Pizza Bag, or larger should work fine. I'll try it out again more this coming season, as I had dropped back to the square plastic blocks, but they do need more fiddling backing on, pulling off till level.
Mike .....>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
My pizza bag is 21" x 21" x 4".
Old 11-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #32

Michael I got a great tip from a camping neighbor when I was fiddling with the blocks ( backing on pulling off etc.) It does require that you carry a really straight 2x4 of a length equal to the distance from the outside of one trailer tire to the outside of the other trailer tire. When you arrive on site first determine where your trailer wheels are going to land. Then place your 2x4 crosswise where the wheels will be, level to your blocks and back onto the blocks. Works first time every time. Lee
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #33

Lee;
That sounds good BUT an 8' 2X4 is a heavy bulky thing to carry!
Getting more technical, a laser pointer on a small level, or a laser level itself (pretty cheap at Harbor Freight on sale!) would do the trick also. But, also, 'fiddly'!
The BAL Leveler is foolproof, but does require some 'Armstrong' work!
I think I'm done with this thread, many thanks to all! Bye!
Mike .....>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Michael I got a great tip from a camping neighbor when I was fiddling with the blocks ( backing on pulling off etc.) It does require that you carry a really straight 2x4 of a length equal to the distance from the outside of one trailer tire to the outside of the other trailer tire. When you arrive on site first determine where your trailer wheels are going to land. Then place your 2x4 crosswise where the wheels will be, level to your blocks and back onto the blocks. Works first time every time. Lee
Old 11-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #34

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Does anyone know if you can use these things with a double axle trailer?
The instructions on the box say not for use with a double axle trailer. I know that the axles on my Fiber Stream are spaced too close together.

I use the yellow Ramble "Legos" and I have 2 sets of 10, and there have been times I needed all 20 blocks. I see that they come in sets of 8 now...