Making a Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Making a Bed

We have a Bigfoot 21RB that making the bed has been a challenge from the beginning. The trailer has been perfect for us except for this one little annoyance. Because the bed is only accessible on one side we generally lift up one corner at a time while kneeling on the bed and try to fit the bottom sheet. The top sheet is just thrown on and pushed around in attempt to make an even cover. We then throw on a comforter and try to make it look as good as possible. If the mess really bothers us while inside we just close the bed area curtains. Any suggestions on making a more proper bed?
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Use a Travasak, always looks neat and hides everything. Out of business now bit there are other bed in a bag companies. Throw it on top and sleep inside, like a giant sleeping bag.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We use sleeping bags in our Scamp. We turn the dinette into a bed lay the sleeping bags on top, and crawl into the bags. In the morning it's stuff the sleeping bags into stuff sacks, store them away, turn the bed back to a dinette.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have you considered making sheets that fit? Like the old waterbed sheets where the top sheet was sewn into the foot of the bottom fitted sheet? You could even sew up (partway) the outside wall section. Tucking in blankets and quilts can be a PITA... I hate messy beds too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have developed and "easy/breezy" way to set up, sleep and make up our trailer bed. Perhaps it will work for you too.

Look at posting #4 for my explanation and photos.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oam-50300.html

If your bed is wide enough you might want to make up your bed the German/Austrian way. Simply cover the bottom mattress with a sheet. Each person has one comforter which is covered with a duvet. No top sheet is involved. When the bed is "made" you fold the comforter in thirds and place on top. You simply wash the duvet and bottom sheet. Another benefit is you don't fight over who is hogging the bedding :-). See photo of my hotel bed in Innsbruck, Austria.

Perhaps if your bottom sheet is a flat sheet you can simply tuck in the sides that butt up to the wall. Rather than using your fingers to do this you could use a sturdy board such as a plastic breadboard with a handle EcoSmart Poly-Flax Red 12-inch L x 16-inch W Cutting Board - BedBathandBeyond.com or one like this PreserveŽ BPA Free Plastic Cutting Board - BedBathandBeyond.com. The sheet would then be easier to take out with a firm pull.

If your mattress is standard with a channel of piping on the top you could use a sheet gripper Sheet Grippers (Set of 4) - BedBathandBeyond.com. You could secure the sheet by clipping it onto the top of the mattress next to the wall. You might also want to use this sheet hugger Sheet Huggers (Set of 4) - BedBathandBeyond.com.

It can be fun to think of creative solutions to our trailer challenges. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
034.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I am usually solo in my Scamp and I don't like putting the table up and down every day for sleeping. I have a 4" memory foam topper on the dining cushions and it is ever so comfy. I have a vintage chenille bedspread over top and use the area for lounging and reading during the day and pull out my sleeping bag at night. I keep the bag rolled up at one end of the bed (it looks like a bolster--its on the left side in the picture below). You can zip the bag together with a second bag or use two separate bags if sleeping double. In the morning I simply roll the bag back up and straighten out the top cover a bit. Its easy. I made a skirt for the bed that attaches with velcro. It hides the storage area under the bed and keeps everything looking tidy. It works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020639.jpg  
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I love that vintage bedspread........

Takes me back a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way.........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
We have a Bigfoot 21RB that making the bed has been a challenge from the beginning. The trailer has been perfect for us except for this one little annoyance. Because the bed is only accessible on one side we generally lift up one corner at a time while kneeling on the bed and try to fit the bottom sheet. The top sheet is just thrown on and pushed around in attempt to make an even cover. We then throw on a comforter and try to make it look as good as possible. If the mess really bothers us while inside we just close the bed area curtains. Any suggestions on making a more proper bed?

Wow, well for starters, your camping it doesnt need to be perfect...save that for home.

My ParkLiner gives me a queen sized bed with access from one side as well. I bought deep pocket sheets, and start on the far side with the fitted sheet, then the side that I have access to. For the flat sheet, I roll it up withways, then kinda tuck it down along the far side of the bedand the foot of the bed while unrolling it...its not perfect but if you look at my pictures with the dragon bedspread it comes out not too horrible and it takes me a few minutes....like I said Im camping and want it to look nice enough inside, but Im not going to get bent about lack of perfection...

I find dimming the lights alway helps too!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Our bed is set up almost all the time. There is a chunk of that super comfy memory foam on top of the cushions. Once I was tired of 'fighting to keep the bed tidy' I sewed a flannel sheet across one short and one long side to make an imitation pillow case. The memory foam goes inside and the bottom sheet stays tucked. When it is pretty hot the top cover is another flannel shet. If the weather is chillier we use one or two sleeping bags. I fold the top covers and keep them at the foot of the bed.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote