making a sink cover - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Thumbs up

I am making a sink cover out of 1/4 plywood.. i decided to put that plastic strip around the edges... like the trim in the standard fiberglass trailers that are around the edeges of the cut outs for the cubbard doors etc? what is that stuff called? just plastic trim and who has it..
thanks!

oops guess i should have put this in the other topic of care??

Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Washington
Here's a nice article about working with plywood. Scroll down and it will talk about "veneer tape". You can buy it at Home Depot, Lowes, any woodworker's store. There are iron-on and self-adhesive varieties.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3797/Plywood-users-Guide

Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #3

thanks Dave.. i sure will go take a look at it tomarrow at our Home Depot... if they dont have it i will try to get that other plastic trim...

i have the top pretty well done and have applyed 2 coats of the polyurethane.. so if i get this trim i hope i dont stick the iron to it..LOL
Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
thanks Dave.. i sure will go take a look at it tomarrow at our Home Depot... if they dont have it i will try to get that other plastic trim...

i have the top pretty well done and have applyed 2 coats of the polyurethane.. so if i get this trim i hope i dont stick the iron to it..LOL
I'm way late putting my 2 cents in, but don't waste time making a sink cover. Find a cutting board that fits the space and use it as a cover and as a cutting board.

baglo
Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #5

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I agree with Glenn, and you can screw some wood pieces under the board to keep it from sliding around.
You can do the same thing for a cover on the stove too.

Sliding and bouncing are two different things though, so when on the move store the boards on the bed or closet.

I sometimes forget and find the cutting boards all over the trailer.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
I'm way late putting my 2 cents in, but don't waste time making a sink cover. Find a cutting board that fits the space and use it as a cover and as a cutting board.

baglo
Even easier: We use a wire, cake cooling rack.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CasitaSink_jpg.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	15380
No modification necessary, and the sink isn't totally out of commission while this cover is in use. (Try it, you'll like it!)

Check out the Sink Grate topic, which is sort of a repost (after the big hack of Nov. 2005) of an older topic: Wire Cake Rack ("Legacy Post").
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
i enjoyed my little project.. it may not be professional or a cutting board, but I made it and like it..!! To me it was just a little complisment of my own.. being not a craftsperson.. i th ought it turned out pretty good.... same with the sink cover..
Old 08-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Christi,
Like you, I made a cover (for the stovetop, not the sink) out of 1/4" plywood. I did it after exploring the possibility of using a cutting board instead of plywood, because:
- the wooden cutting boards weighed a LOT more than the plywood
- the flexible plastic cutting board that I use on top of the plywood is ultra-lightweight, easy to clean and to store, and can be rolled into a funnel shape to tip vegetables into a bowl or pot.

I'm enjoying your modification history, and hope you won't be put off by other posters telling you not to do something because it's not what they would have done!

Cheers,
Elisabeth
Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Christi,
I agree with Elisabeth. My mods may not be what anyone else would have done but I am pleased with what I have done with my sister's help. Some are probably "over engineered" because I did not know what I was doing but I have used a jig saw and a circle saw for the first time and could not be happier with my results. I love my little play house.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I made a stove top cover for my 16' scamp last year using an Ikea chopping board. Fits over the three burn stove well - just added four short none skid legs and then glued a none skid place mat to the bottom. When not on top of stove it fits well beside it. Even has a lip on one side that keeps the crumbs from falling onto the floor or bed depending on which way you place it.

Ikea chopping board

Only issue I have with it is keeping it in place whle traveling. Still looking for a better option. Currently use a bunge cord from front to back with one end attached to a burner and the other to the cutlery door knob at the front - it works well on smooth roads but when on rough roads it does not stay in place well. Usually end up putting it down on the floor under the table. Would llike to find a better way of securing during travel.

Carol

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote