Man Proposes, the Universe Disposes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Man Proposes, the Universe Disposes

Here it is the middle of the month I had planned for Canada and it doesn't appear to be happening. Mail holds expire June 30.DH is due back at work 7/3. Most of the trip budget has gone for incidental expenses relating to the trip back home to pick his passport, not being able to find it, and the emergency passport renewal service, not to mention that Philadelphia is a pretty expensive place to be. The redone parks camping reservations also pull down an extra fee, and now our cat, the one DH and I raised with a bottle from 48 hrs old, went out the door this morning when I opened it on an emergency trip to the bathroom, and by the time I got out he had disappeared. We're set up for another night here in Durham, ME, but won't be able to make reservations for the Portland to Yarmouth ferry till he's found. DH is talking about boarding the cats for any more vacations. For the length of time I want to go, that is running into some serious money, and besides I love having them with me. It was twilight at 4:30 a.m., but predators may have still been around, and Yuki is not very knowledgeable about things of Cat-dom. Not to mention it's 92*F today and I could have stayed home if I wanted to be incapacitated by heat and humidity.

Not to mention my prescription Lidocaine pain patches, that cost $235 a month for chronic pain, somehow apparently didn't get packed and the extra money we're spending for the not as strong, doesn't work as well for the pain but it's better than nothing, aspercream with lidocaine patches and rollons. And we seem to have a poltergeist that disappears things. Both DH and I search, and we don't find stuff we KNOW we purchased and packed in bags to be loaded into the car. I didn't mind the occasional grocery item. But my warm weather nightwear disappeared after the first night and I'v been having to borrow a T shirt from DH. The new outfit I had gotten to wear on vacation frayed a 3 inch gap along the inseam after the 3rd wearing- that was supposed to be a high quality item!!

The grey water tank backed up into the shower on the first day. (We thought we had fully drained it! But it had green algae in it and it mustve sealed off the drain. DH was using sponge mop to try to soak it up and broke it. I used the folding bucket to empty the grey tank little by little and put bleach down the kitchen sink and bathroom drains.
It just seems it was not meant to be.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My suggestion, head north to Acadia. We're just back from there. Busy but still out of season so no reservations needed. We stayed at NPS Seawall campground, Lamoine State Park, and NPS Schoodic campground which is brand new. From there you could go north to Cobscook Bay State Park. Cross the border or head west into NH and Vt. Enjoy before the crowds get there. Eat lobster and make lemonade. Raz

p.s. hope the cat shows up soon.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It sounds positively dismal! Sorry things are going so poorly.

A year from now, I hope you will be able to laugh about this "vacation from he//," but for now just keep hanging on... by your toenails if necessary. . You will survive.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #4

Florida
Yuki did come back at 9:30 pm. Ihaven't been this depressed in ages, but at least one thing is looking up.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
British Columbia
So glad your kitty came back as that was very worrying.
Sounds like a stressful trip hope it improves.
Spencer doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yes - so glad the kitty is back.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just made a reservation at Saco, Maine KOA for next month. It is close enough to the shore and has an on site full service restaurant that serves Maine's famous blueberry pancakes for breakfast as well as their seafood for dinner. Who wants to cook in this heat, one less stress to contend with. Glad your kitty was safe, I leave my 3 at home but miss them when we travel.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
You could hire a petsitter for less than it costs to board them. A lot less stressful for the cats. And their parents.

Your story reinforces my resolve to never take my cat camping. We have friends coming to stay at our place when we go west for three weeks in October.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #9

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
You are much stronger than you think! Any two of the things that went wrong for you would have leveled me almost permanently. I travel full time with one cat, who is a beloved and fascinating creature. I'm so glad to know that yours made it back to you. Your journey sounds very ambitious, so some of it was bound to go south on you. The pain would be a deal-breaker for me, but almost everything else has already been overcome! You must not think of selling your camper and never trying again. Your experience is invaluable, and it will prevent future disasters. Keep posting -- you are not alone.

Wendy
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

Name: Maryellen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD
Pennsylvania
Oh gosh, it sounds like you are looking up at the bottom of your feet! That is pretty far down! Sure hope things turn around for you soon and you start enjoyingyour trip.
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Florida
Posting from Rock Harbor Newfoundland. I LOVE IT! I think Canadians are the nicest people in the world,It is nice and cold. I did give DH the option of calling it quits and taking him and the cats back to Florida, and his response was "I would hate to see you disappointed about not being able to take this Canadian trip you've been wanting for 2 years". My reply was, "I said nothing about ME calling it quits, I would takeyou& the cats home and rest a few days before leaving solo". He decided to stick with me.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Sorry to hear of your back pain. Pain that we cant get rid of can ruin life. I've been through it. Thank the Lord I'm free of it now.
Hope the same for you!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #13

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
So happy to hear that your cat returned. We would not be going anywhere with a cat missing.

Couldn't he have been issued a passport card in Philadelphia? No need for a passport book at the border for a land crossing.

Hope you can enjoy Canada now!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Sounds like things are looking up.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #15

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We lost our kitty for three days last month after she got out through an open door. It's a terrible feeling and I am so glad yours came back! Wishing you pain free days and hoping you are able to enjoy the rest of your trip.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #16

Florida
Passport card required same info as passport book. Expired passport, certified birth certificate & driver license. I was afraid the emergency service (A private company) would be totally unnecessary but they told us upfront everything they would do and left is the DIY option. Involved too much work in too many places we weren't sure of how to get to or where to find parking
Loving NF. Still cool here, lots of snow still in shady places, lots of icebergs, lots of music. Warning: if you eat at a Newfie restaurant bring a double sized appetite. Routinely we get served amounts I could barely have finished back in my athletic 20's. However- just one thing- we have never gotten hot food in NF restaurants-only barely tepid. This includes "hot" coffee & Tea too. Is this a Newfie thing???
Last night temp rose steadily all night, I wound up turning off the mini heater and opening all the windows. Today I'm in shorts. Tonight is the ferry crossing back to Nova Scotia.I told DH tat next summer we owes me two more weeks in NF to make up for the time loss we experienced this year.
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Glad you found your cat, or the cat found you as the case may be. Thing about being down a bit is it does make you appreciate the little things more. Friendly people, or a nice meal.

Just for the record my money is on DH left your jammies behind on purpose, as a DH myself I can think of worse things than being on vacation with DW with her having to wear my t-shirts around the camper at night.

What an experience! Well what you forgot and didn't miss you don't need, what was left behind and you missed I guess you can put on a check list for next time.

I think in NF warm is the new hot, all things being relative I'm pretty sure above freezing with a 25 mph wind qualifies as warm with a slight breeze for at least part of the year.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote