Manufacturers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Manufacturers

This site contains a wealth of information about owners and their rigs. I was wondering if any of the members of this site have been contacted by manufacturers about a specific posting.

It is hard for me to imagine that this site isn't faithfully read by the manufacturers to better understand their customers and their needs.

I'm just wondering if manufacturers use this site as a resource. I guess I'll know if the manufacturers respond to this post.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This site contains a wealth of information about owners and their rigs. I was wondering if any of the members of this site have been contacted by manufacturers about a specific posting.

It is hard for me to imagine that this site isn't faithfully read by the manufacturers to better understand their customers and their needs.

I'm just wondering if manufacturers use this site as a resource. I guess I'll know if the manufacturers respond to this post.
The people at Scamp do read Scamper's Yahoo site, but they have made it a habit to prudently refrain from direct participation. I'm sure that is the case with most.
Li'l Snoozy has directly participated in both open and covert ways, and although well meaning, it tends to come across as tacky self promotion.
Considering the nature of this medium it is likely wise for the manufacturers to remain above the fray.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The people at Scamp do read Scamper's Yahoo site, but they have made it a habit to prudently refrain from direct participation. I'm sure that is the case with most.
Quote:
Li'l Snoozy has directly participated in both open and covert ways, and although well meaning, it tends to come across as tacky self promotion.
Considering the nature of this medium it is likely wise for the manufacturers to remain above the fray.

There's a difference between self promotion and using the site as a resource. I'm familiar with the Bounder Yahoo site and occasionally Bounder would respond to a question that no one had an answer for. As well they did attend major rallys, often bringing a crew that could do repairs.

Also they would hold meetings where they would request input on their rig's design.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
It happens. I have been asked to contribute to the development of 2 products in other areas of manufacture, but nothing from the RV world. In one case it involved design, materials specifications and extensive beta testing, in another it was limited to design suggestions. These things are usually done in confidence and rarely disclosed. I get some neat free stuff though

Manufacturers know better than to participate publicly in forums. It almost always ends badly.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:

There's a difference between self promotion and using the site as a resource. I'm familiar with the Bounder Yahoo site and occasionally Bounder would respond to a question that no one had an answer for. As well they did attend major rallys, often bringing a crew that could do repairs.

Also they would hold meetings where they would request input on their rig's design.
Pretty much the same for Reace & Tammy from Escape Trailer Industries at the Escape Forum.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:

That's true, you can use the site as a resource by just reading it and without posting They can use their own website to solicit input. You are right though, a company should be sensitive to the market, as long as it doesn't result in demographic marketing which shuns half the potential buyers.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been contacted by two trailer manufacturers in regards to some modifications I had posted. They wanted my input on similar improvements to their products and how they can improve the end product. So, yes, I do think someone in the know at various rv companies do follow various forums, be it Gulfstream, Jayco, Airstream, Escape or whomever.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Off the top of my head, we've had these owners (or those directly involved) in the manufacturing of molded fiberglass trailers become members of FiberglassRV:

Steve Wishek of Genesis
Tom Young of TrilliumRV
Reace & Tammy of Escape
Jim and Evon Oliver of Oliver Trailers
Steven Whysel, inventor of the PlayPac
Mark Niksic, manufacturer of the Pelsue of Colorado
Alan and Nicolas of Lil Snoozy

Some of these trailers are no longer being manufacturered. Who knows who else may be reading? I know that although the owners of Casita don't directly participate in any forums, they do listen to and talk with Gene Layton. A number of the modifications he's made to his trailer have become new features over the years to the Casita.

There's probably other manufacturers... anyone else remember any?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
People here and on the Scamp Yahoo groups have asked this question and along with asked why doesn't XXXX trailer change something since so many people post issues.
This site though it has a pretty impressive number of members, has a very small percentage of each manufacturer's customers. In fact it has a very small percentage of all molded fiberglass trailer customers. Noise here has to be weighed against noise heard other places including direct contact.
Also it's well known that everybody has a different idea of what makes the perfect trailer. Therefore the best they can do is offer to as much custom building as possible.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #10

Florida
Numbers

"This site though it has a pretty impressive number of members, has a very small percentage of each manufacturer's customers. In fact it has a very small percentage of all molded fiberglass trailer customers."

Byron,

Your posts suggests a question. How many Scamps or Casitas are built per year or have been built in their history. Does anyone have a ball park idea?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
"This site though it has a pretty impressive number of members, has a very small percentage of each manufacturer's customers. In fact it has a very small percentage of all molded fiberglass trailer customers."

Byron,

Your posts suggests a question. How many Scamps or Casitas are built per year or have been built in their history. Does anyone have a ball park idea?
I understand, from discussions while touring the new facility, that Scamp's build capacity prefire (2006) was about 400 units per year, postfire it is around 750 or so. Assuming full production each year, there would be +- 18000 units total, probably 10,000 of which would be 13s,... 6,000 would be 16s, and 2000 19s.
Of course,these figures are not exact, but they do illustrate how few Scamps have been made and when you figure in attrition, the numbers could hardly reflect any more still extant.
In a market of 300,000,000+ souls, this makes them rather rare.

We catalog sightings while traveling and, excluding rallies and purchases, have sighted less than twenty-five Molded fiberglass trailers in over 50,000 miles of travel.
As I say these are approximations, Scamp is not really keen on record keeping ,so official numbers are not readily available, although someone here has purportedly produced a more accurate production history.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #12

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Another Manufacturer, who's a member of our site...

...is the American Dream Trailer (AKA: Boat Trailer). He is making ADORABLE boat trailers, right here in PORTLAND, Oregon and doing a VERY GOOD job!
I've got his business card with name and contact info...but not with me at the moment. I'd be happy to pass it along to those interested.
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
This reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where Homer Simpson is asked to design a car for the "average American". It had some interesting and somewhat logical features like separate compartments for the adults and the kids. And it had shag carpeting with great cup holders. But it showed how allowing too much customer input can lead to disaster.
Attached Images

Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
...is the American Dream Trailer (AKA: Boat Trailer). He is making ADORABLE boat trailers, right here in PORTLAND, Oregon and doing a VERY GOOD job!
How could I have forgotten?!?!? Paul is a fellow Portlandite! Here's his latest ad: Paul Dahlman's Trailorboat Replica
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How could I have forgotten?!?!? Paul is a fellow Portlandite! Here's his latest ad: Paul Dahlman's Trailorboat Replica
Donna,
Do you know if he's made anymore than the one? I can't find any web site or other references.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #16

Florida
One more manufacturer on the site.

Chandler, owner of Parkliner http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post244727

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
I see Chandler reinforces the point when promoting his Parkliner... Nice trailer BTW.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Donna,
Do you know if he's made anymore than the one? I can't find any web site or other references.
Now, this is from my memory... but, I think Paul builds the Trailorboat replica one unit at a time. He sells one, then builds one. As a sole proprietor, that's probably a good idea as he doesn't have product just sitting on a lot aging.