manufacturing and recommendation? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
California
manufacturing and recommendation?

Hello All,

We have a lovely 2005 Casita SD 17, but are considering a new trailer - and a little bit bigger. My sweetie is retiring and we're planning on more camping :-) and the Casita feels small with 2 adults and 2 dogs for longer than a week. I'm only aware of the Escape 19 and now the Lil Snoozy that have queen beds and are larger. I've methodically gone through the entire list under manufacturers and aside from these two, and Casita, Scamp, and Parkliner, - I don't see any others who are currently manufacturing. I hate to not consider all the wonderful options so if anyone knows of any other fiberglass trailers we should look at, would you mind letting me know?

I love the layout of the Escape 19, and I know it's a quality trailer, but am a bit concerned about price. I hate to ask, but has anyone negotiated for a new Escape -- not asking what you paid, but whether there was/is any wiggle room on the price, without being offensive.

thanks!
Jane
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I think the Lil Snoozy is about the same length as your Casita but is more open. Both Scamp and Escape make fifth wheel campers that folks are happy with. I saw a deluxe scamp fifth wheel not too long ago. It looked very nice. Also Bigfoot is advertising a 21 ft camper. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Egg Camper is a 17 foot trailer that is a little higher and wider inside and has a VERY open floor plan. The bed is a full size. If you want the all electric version (that's what we have), it can be had new for about $18,000. If you want propane it'll be more money. It's tall enough and wide enough that anyone 6'4" will not have space issues. LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER. Sorry but I don't know how to make a link.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You can save on the Escape 19' by ordering the base @ $24k, the standard items include a lot of items. It's all the customization that gets it expensive, I know, mine will be done in a month.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Warning... long post ahead!

Okay you get what you pay for and here's my 2-1/2 cents.

There probably isn't anyone in the whole wide world that's a bigger enthusiast, supporter or wannabe of Escape trailer than me! I've seen every model and I think every layout and truly believe they're offering the best bang for the buck. I've gotten to know Reace and Tammy on a personal level, because I've camped with them and watched every video they're in.

That said, I'd say.... save your money... change your attitude about "camping" and what that means. I don't have any idea what you could sell your 2005 Casita for, but do you really want to spend thousands more to gain a couple of feet? And we're talking 2-3 feet... and not yards. You said you are going "camping" to me that's not lengly trips of 3-5 months or full-timing. On this forum, we've met a couple that FULL-TIMED in a 13' Scamp (sans pets) for YEARS and Norm and Ginny are on a nearly year long trip (one of several they've taken) in a 16' Scamp (sans pets) and both couples had/have an absolute BLAST.

So, instead of spending your money on something different... consider what you have and make it fit your changed lifestyle. Pick trips that offer something outside the trailer. THAT's where it's at! Take the dogs for more walks, take up photography, learn about the flora and fawna in the area, astronomy... learn to paint (outside), buy a metal detector... whatever... but BE OUTSIDE.

Let's face it, even a 28' Silver Cloud could seem small, if you spend most of your time inside. Open the door and step out. There's a huge, heavenly, wonderful livingroom waiting for you.

In the end, when you've reached the "sitting on the porch in a rocking chair" age... you won't remember the cramped feeling of the Casita... but... the people you met, the experiences you had and most importantly... the memories you made along the way.

So, spend your money on fuel to get you there...

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Like Donna says. We have made 2 4 week trips and 1 8 week trip in our 17' Casita FD. That is with a cat and a dog. Out with them right now.

We love the 19' Escape and have toured the factory. We can not justify trading up.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
used 21' bigfoot???????????????
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
When I retired I purchased my first rv, a 13' Hyperlite that had no bath and no heat. Thru the next 6 years and 5 campers I moved up and then down, molded and non molded, while joining this and several other forums. I learned that Airstreams leak, that some trailers tow horribly, others that I wished I kept or still had. It is/has been a learning experience.
But I also stopped putting off til tomorrow economic decisions hoping tomorrow maybe different. Tomorrow is here today and I want to enjoy it. So think about what you want to do a year from now and do it now, because a year from now you may regret your indecision. Carpe Diem
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When I retired I purchased my first rv, a 13' Hyperlite that had no bath and no heat. Thru the next 6 years and 5 campers I moved up and then down, molded and non molded, while joining this and several other forums. I learned that Airstreams leak, that some trailers tow horribly, others that I wished I kept or still had. It is/has been a learning experience.
But I also stopped putting off til tomorrow economic decisions hoping tomorrow maybe different. Tomorrow is here today and I want to enjoy it. So think about what you want to do a year from now and do it now, because a year from now you may regret your indecision. Carpe Diem
cpaharley... AHMEN!!!
We we're going to order an Escape 5.0 when I retired. Not there quite yet and we have had a blast with our 5.0 since 2008. People think we're nuts tying up all that money in the driveway and only using it on weekends and holidays...but we're using it!!!
To many of my co-workers haven't lived to see retirement...what a shame.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
2nd amen, we have owned our 99 Casita SD for 9 years now and as you can see by our map its been well used with just bare maintenance gone well over 70,000 miles. I see posts where folks buy a trailer then worry about not being able to travel because of gas prices. My take is that gas won't get cheaper so go. My brother died at 65 with a good deal of money, I always lived in survival mode and still going at 75 in great health, tomorow it may all fall apart so go while you can. we got a bit off topic eh
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bill MacDermod... Dreams are still being "Manufactured and Recomendations" made every day. Regrets are still being made too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
All that glitters.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #12

Trailer: Aliner
Donna, your post is one of the most inspiring ones I've read lately. That attitude is the way to keep two-foot-itis at bay.

I'd like to have a 5th wheel and more room sometimes. But we do spend almost all of our time outdoors when we are out in the trailer. And that's what makes it so magic and so different from staying home.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
......But we do spend almost all of our time outdoors when we are out in the trailer. And that's what makes it so magic and so different from staying home.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

California
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses!

I completely agree that spending time outside is key - and we do - all day, every day after surfing or paddle boarding or long walks with the dogs, we're outside cooking, reading, meeting people, etc. It is what makes it different from being at home and I think we have a good attitude towards camping - we love it and go every chance we get. However, we are not bonfire every night people and we camp year round (just booked something for December) -- after dark it's often cold and we go inside and the dinette in the Casita if very uncomfortable (maybe new cushions are in the future) and we end up sitting on the bed and reading or playing games. A queen bed or the much more comfortable dinette in the 19' Escape would make a difference for us there.

I also agree with everyone who responded with the live for today sentiment, to a point - I also believe in saving for tomorrow. I have lived most of my life not being able to afford what I wanted and settling for much less. Buying a used Casita was well beyond the possible until a few years ago and was done with the idea that if my spouse didn't like it we could sell it without losing (much) money.

I know that buying the Escape 19' would be a luxury item, not a necessity and I know it won't change how much we love camping, what we do when camping, or our life outlook, but it would make the time we spend inside more comfortable. I just have to decide whether it's worth the money for that and I'm not certain that it is, which is why I posted.

Thanks again to everyone and see some of you at the Oregon gathering in July!
Jane
Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #15

Jane have you considered swapping out the cushions and installing chairs on top of the boxes? Per has a Burro and did something similar... I'll see if I can find a picture. I think comfortable seating is paramount.

Okay see this post: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post66681 maybe read the entire thread.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #16

California
Thanks, Donna. What a great thread! I'll look around and see what I can come up with and if anything good, I'll post pictures.
Jane
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
Hello All,
We have a lovely 2005 Casita SD 17, but are considering a new trailer - and a little bit bigger. My sweetie is retiring and we're planning on more camping :-) and the Casita feels small with 2 adults and 2 dogs for longer than a week. I'm only aware of the Escape 19 and now the Lil Snoozy that have queen beds and are larger.
Jane
If it's just the "feeling" of being small, I suggest you take a look at the EggCamper. It's 8 inches wider and 4 inches higher inside than most of the others, and has a very open feeling. My claustrophobic wife even feels "closed in on" in the Escape 19, but has no such problem in the EggCamper. I must add that I don't share my wife's feeling about the Escape, and think it has a wonderful floor plan.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #18

California
Thanks, Ray.
In looking at the pictures online, it appears that the egg camper doesn't have a stove top - is that true? While we do most of our cooking outside there are occasions when we need an inside stove.
Thanks,
Jane
Old 06-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Jane, I see you are in California, I know that Parkliner sold a camper to someone in California. You could give them a call and see where they are, maybe if its close enough you could take a look at one.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #20

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Jane you may want to look for a used Bigfoot they are more than a foot wider than the others, have seen a couple around both the 21.6 foot and 25.6
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote

« Letchworth. | Venus »