Mardi Gras - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Chester
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Mardi Gras

Is anybody going or have been to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. We are looking for campground and activity suggestions. We're considering Buccaneer Park in Waveland MS for a home base, then driving into NOLA for parades and celebrating.
chetandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
When we went to the 1985 Worlds Fair in NO we had a dickens of a time finding parking. Finally used an address for a parking lot in our AAA guide- it was NOT a parking lot it turned out- about a dozen of us wound up with parking tickets. We stayed in a campground called Money Hill across Lake Pontchatrain (sp?) most unsatisfactory. wound up moving to KOA Slidell which was mmuch better. We were tenters at the time.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In 2013 I stayed out at Fontainebleau State Park Campground and drove in to New Orleans two or three days for the activities.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I second Fontainbleau SP C/G. We've stayed there several times. It is near Mandeville, & Lacombe, LA on the north side of Lake Ponchatrain, not far from the Lake Ponchatrain Causeway, & just a short drive off I-10. The amenities are great & it's a nice place...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

Washington
Thank you Ms Gayle and Harvey, we will check out Fontainebleau State Park.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Hopefully someone knows which park I'm referring to.

I remember reading about a Louisiana state park just across the Mississippi from New Orleans. You camped there, drove a short distance and parked, and then took the ferry as a walk on which takes you to the French Quarter.

Bayou Segnette and St Bernard State Parks are both fairly close to New Orleans, so it is probably one of them.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We are going, but not taking the trailer; staying in a b & b. There is also a KOA in Jefferson Parish, which is pretty nice, but I agree with the previous comment about parking in New Orleans being a problem.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We are going, but not taking the trailer; staying in a b & b. There is also a KOA in Jefferson Parish, which is pretty nice, but I agree with the previous comment about parking in New Orleans being a problem.
After researching the available campgrounds, we decided to change our plans. We will leave our trailer parked and we'll be staying with friends in the French Quarter.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
We were just in New Orleans for Mardi Gras (the second weekend, not the last weekend, which is right now). We stayed at the French Quarter RV Resort which is a short walk to the French Quarter and had a great time. The second weekend of Mardi Gras has parades from Friday thru Sunday and crowds small enough that you can manage to walk down Bourbon St. I'm sure you need reservations at FQRV well in advance. For those staying out of town there is a big public parking lot between FQRV and N Rampart St which had parking available the whole week we were there. You walk through that lot to get to French Quarter from FQRV. I wish I had known of that lot on a previous trip when we stayed at Bayou Stegnette State Park, across the river from New Orleans. Bayou Stegnette State Park is quite nice, but a 30 min drive to the French Quarter.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote