May 2-4 Weekend - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Cool

woohoo!! this is what is known, unofficially, in canada as the may 2-4 weekend.....and that means only one thing---it's the start of summer-- usually it's the first weekend of camping, the weekend to open up the cottage, the weekend to celebrate that the winter is FINALLY over and summer is on it's way!

so, in honour of the tradition, we will head up to our piece of paradise, at barnaby river here in new brunswick, and spend the weekend being food for the blackflies.
the water is too cold yet for swimming...the nights are still chilly with frost likely...but there will be lots to do to keep us busy...

happy camping, everyone! get out there and enjoy!!

and officially, it's called victoria day weekend..in celebration of the birthday of queen victoria. but doesn't may 2-4 have a nicer ring??....and in case some of you don't know the joke, a case of beer, two dozen in total, is known as a...yup!....2-4.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Have a nice time Theresa!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Exclamation

Tilt a Keith's or two for me . . . . I'll be working.
Have a great weekend.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We were puzzled last year about the alcohol ban in Ontario Provincial Parks for eleven days from May 8 on. It didn't matter to us (since we were there in July and August), but now I get it.
Frost, blackflies, first camping weekends, and a holiday called 2-4... When the flies and the frost chase you inside.....

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: theresa p... Well this year you can crack open a 2-4 on the 2-4 weekend that actually falls on... you guessed it May 2-4. Was that actually Queen Victoria's Birth date??? The one good thing she did for Canada was give us a statutory holiday
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Theresa, is it a statutory holiday in New Brunswick? I thought there were some maritime provinces where it wasn't observed as a statutory holiday? Heck, in any event I'd still recommend you take the Monday and the Friday off!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
have fun at Barnaby, We are also taking our "nut" out for a maiden voyage to Mount Carleton. It looks like a good weekend!
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here it is known as May Long. I am staying home. Its too cold to go camping this weekend .
Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #9

Well last yesterday I watched all the campers in town load up and headed out for the local camping areas before the big rush today. I hope they all have generators as it is only 1C and its snowing. Its going to be a cold one. Its cozy and safe here at home.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
I hope they all have generators as it is only 1C and its snowing. Its going to be a cold one. Its cozy and safe here at home.
Victoria Day in Oilberta=last day of winter.

I remember 2001, (before I was a Eggophile) driving back to a rig job on the Saturday of the long weekend, along Highway 11 near Nordegg. It was as if I was travelling through a ghost town; there was a foot of wet snow, and all of these fifth wheels and RV's scattered along the road, and clogging up the Forestry Trunk.

And, here it is, 2010, Friday prior, with the temperature plummeting and a damp icy wind coming in from the north. Sheesh.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #11

I just came from the town Hardware store. Lots of out of town folks in store buying up Tarps, Ropes, propane and some even looking for propane heaters. I think it would be cheaper to get a hotel room.

YES----Its still snowing and some folks have come home with snow piles up on top of their rigs.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...May 2-4 starts with a DOWNPOUR... Here. A tarp might just be your most important piece of equipment!!! Supposed to be 27* and sun tomorrow but todays a wash. I have to work anyhoo!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi: All...May 2-4 starts with a DOWNPOUR... Here. A tarp might just be your most important piece of equipment!!! Supposed to be 27* and sun tomorrow but todays a wash. I have to work anyhoo!!!
This is what campers woke up to this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
ss1.jpg   ss2.jpg  

Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
This is what campers woke up to this morning.
I recognize those mountains...Spent a cupla months at Lindsey (Grande Cache Lake) drilling a gas well for Anderson back in 2000-2001...
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #15

Yup Mike thats what its like today.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #16

Registry
Talking

woohoo! the weather gods (godesses) have shone on the maritimes this weekend!! today was gloriously hot--26 and sunny--making it the best for this weekend in many many years.

these were taken today, at our lot on the barnaby river and the water was still a bit "brisk", according to my son evan, but it didn't stop him, his stepdaughter michelle and her cousin maika from having a great swim....

sorry to everyone who experienced snow this weekend----especially chester---and we'll send this terrific sunshine along your way----of course, AFTER this weekend is over! hahaha----and i hope that things will warm up soon.

cheers!
t
Attached Thumbnails
Pic1.jpg   Pic2.jpg  

Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #17

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Theresa, is it a statutory holiday in New Brunswick? I thought there were some maritime provinces where it wasn't observed as a statutory holiday? Heck, in any event I'd still recommend you take the Monday and the Friday off!

and yes, mike, it is a statutory holiday in all of canada, isn't it?? i know alot of people are saying that celebrating queen victoria's birthday is wayyy old....but in fact, it is the official day, also, that we recognize queen elizabeth's birthday, too.
today's paper had a story all about how so many maritimers feel it is a holiday that has lost its significance...but i say---any excuse for a holiday works for me!!!!