Medical insurance in Canada vs US - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2003, 08:47 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Medical insurance in Canada vs US

This came up in another thread ... and in some private messages ... but I thought I'd bring it up in it's own thread.

How do Canadians cover their health insurance while traveling in the US?

How do folks from the US cover their health insurance while traveling in Canada?

I'm no expert, so you'll have to seek the advise of your private insurer ... or if you are covered by Medicare or Canadian's federal medical insurance, ask them.

But in my case, my health insurance isn't honored in Canada.

If I get sick in Canada, I have to paid the bill ... and then seek reimbursement from my insurance company when I return to the states.

This wasn't a problem when Pam had a nasty reaction to a bug bite in Canada a few years ago. The emergency room bill, because medical care is subsidized by the government, wasn't all that large.

But, we always pray that we don't get seriously ill while traveling.

Now, it's also my understanding that if you are covered by the US Medicare system, you have to be dragged back into the US before Medicare will cover the bill.

Canadians have the option of paying a small premium to extend their federal health care to the US (right?).

But I don't think there is any option for US folks to extend Medicare coverage while traveling outside the US. You might get some coverage from a Medicare supplement policy.

At least this is my understanding of how it works.

Please tell me if I'm wrong (because it won't be the first time I was wrong today!).

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:58 AM   #2

Found this information about Medicare coverage ... apparently it does cover you if you are just passing through on your way to Alaska ... or if you live in the US and a Canadian hospital is closer than a US hospital.

So, I guess no matter where you are in Canada, if you from the US and covered by Medicare, tell them you are on your way to Alaska!

----------------
The Original Medicare Plan does not cover health care when you travel outside the United States, except for some emergency situations in Mexico and Canada.

In rare cases, Medicare can pay for inpatient hospital services that you get in Canada or Mexico. Medicare can pay only if:

1. You are in the United States when a medical emergency occurs and the Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

2. You are traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

3. You live in the United States and the Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:04 AM   #3

Medigap, the supplemental insurance to cover some costs not covered by Medicare, pays for part of your emergency care overseas--but only the first 60 days you're outside the U.S. ... and only up to the amount normally covered by the Medigap in the US (after it deducts what would have been covered in the states.)

This leaves long-term retirees outside the US with only three options: buy private coverage individually or through a group, pay into the government-sponsored system in the country where you live, or go without coverage.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts
Canadians have the option of paying a small premium to extend their federal health care to the US (right?).
I don't know about other provinces but in Quebec, this option is not available, as far as I know.

Unless otherwise privately covered, we need to buy short term insurance from blue cross or other insurer. There may be other ways also.

Me, for instance, I pay about 90$ a year for my visa card and it give me 5 millions $ in medical insurance, anywhere in the world providing my stay is 48 days or less on each trip.

I find this very convinient because I go out of the country very often, mainly in US and I am always covered. It would cost me probabely more than that fee for a normal 30 days covereage from Blue Cross. And Visa give me a payback of 1% on everything I buy with the card.

In Quebec, at least, people going in USA without insurances are risking a lot. The medical cost in USA is extremely high and the Province will pay back only a very small portion of the total cost.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:25 AM   #5

>>90$ a year for my visa card and it give me 5 millions $ in medical insurance

Wow! What a deal, Alain! Wonder if something like that exists for one of our credit cards! Have to look into that!

Old 08-08-2003, 09:27 AM   #6

Health Insurance

Charles,

I don't have medicare coverage yet(not old enough) so I don't know very much about it. But my health insurance is another matter. There are a lot of doctors and facilities, in the US, that will not file health insurance for you. ( I always ask before service is rendered and go to some one that does if possible). Other wise I don't pay the bill, but send it to the insurance company and they will pay the part of it, that they feel is their part, directly to the service provider. Then you have to pay the part that is left over after they apply it to your total and re-bill you.

I have never had to get any health related help out of the US so I don't know if this method would work or not. If they require payment when service is rendered then, what you did maybe is what I would have to do like wise. It isn't the best way since your money will be tied up for a long time but you do what you have to.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:39 AM   #7

Charles,

My card is the Odyssée Visa Card. It is a Gold Card.

Just a quick link that I found in english about it:

http://www.fondationdelafaune.qc.ca/html/VisaA.html

There is also many other goodies with this card.

Alain

Old 08-08-2003, 10:04 AM   #8

Health coverage

The Plan at my company covers out of country expenses for emergency health care.
O.H.I.P (Ontario Hospital Insurance Program) Covers very little, if any.
When My father took ill in the states on a hunting trip, it cost him 10,000.00 which thankfully, the ins. company (from his work) finally paid the majority of.

Most people I know of get a blue cross supplement just in case.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:05 PM   #9

Canadian Health Coverage in USA

I obtain travel insurance through the Good Sam club for any extended trips south of the border. I have coverage as a Charter life member of Good Sam for short trips of three days or less in the USA, with no restriction of the number made during the year. This is a no cost side benefit. Extended coverage for Canadian Good Sam members is underwritten by John Ingle Agencies out of Toronto. The cost is very reasonable.