Membership Campgrounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
sxj

Name: Bert
Trailer: Looking
Ontario
Membership Campgrounds

I am making plans for an extended RV tour later this year and am researching ways to find good sites. I have seen several promotions for "membership" campgrounds where you pay a sizeable upfront fee and then get premium locations for a low cost, about $10 per night. Has anyone used these sites and any suggestions on planning a 3-4 month tour focused on National Parks?
Thanks for any input
sxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I looked at these a few years ago and would never buy them. A friend had a membership, used it a few times, and found that even with the low daily fee it was very expensive. Another issue would be are there any of the parks in the areas where you would want to go. I'm sure, for myself at least, that it would be prohibitively expensive. We're talking thousands of dollars.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I know one person who as a membership in one of these and he expressed that he was happy with the program but most of his RV adventures were trips to he same two parks. He did not want to venture into unknown territory or go too far from home.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxj View Post
I am making plans for an extended RV tour later this year and am researching ways to find good sites. I have seen several promotions for "membership" campgrounds where you pay a sizeable upfront fee and then get premium locations for a low cost, about $10 per night. Has anyone used these sites and any suggestions on planning a 3-4 month tour focused on National Parks?
Thanks for any input
We just got home from 90 days camping in National Parks. From what I've seen of RV parks membership and non there's not a lot of space between you and your neighbors.
Here's how I handle most of the traveling we do.
1. I never pay for a single nights stay. Single night say is for getting some sleep only. Therefore Rest Areas, WalMart parking lots, and truck stops, have worked well for us.
2. Consider National Park Annual pass. US Citizens over 62 get it for live at a cost of $10.00(That's a one time cost). With many of the parks wanting to charge $20 for each 7 days you're there, plus reduced camping fees, it might be something to consider.
3. The best time to visit Northern NPs is shoulder seasons, and SW desert NPs in the winter.
Plan on staying for a week or more and exploring the parks and surrounding areas.
Once you get for feet wet and try it, you'll wonder what you were worried about.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
OP is from Canada so a National Park senior pass is not available to him.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dont waste your money. Do as Byron suggested.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I drove across Canada last summer and never had a problem with places or parks. I did the same going State Side. Cost was marginal.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a bunch of campground memberships out there. If you really are interested, due diligence is in order. What any member here desires may be different that what you need or want.

I know of a couple that is in the Thousand Trails group and are thrilled. They travel during the summer months, typically in Oregon/Washington and move every 14 days. (It's not me). They like the sites, cleanliness of the parks and they can do their laundry on site.

I belong to Escapees...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
OP is from Canada so a National Park senior pass is not available to him.
True.. However go here to find out what is available to our Canadian friends and non seniors.

A weeks trip to Lake Mead Recreational area will gain you to entrance fee and camping fees back. Camping fee $10 per night = $70 add cost of pass $80 = grand total of $150. Without the pass entry fee $20 + $20 per night camping fee = $160. Just that one week will save you the price of the pass plus $10. The more National Campgrounds you visit the more you save. FYI most camping is 50% of fees for non-pass holders.