Microsoft Security Patch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here we go again...for those using Internet Explorer to surf the web: Microsoft warns of critical Windows flaw

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
That looks like the same old warning.. just change the date

Fire
Fox

I only use IE at work because THEY set everything for it AARGH.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Thanks, Donna

Just downloaded the updates.

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks, Donna

Just downloaded the updates.

Diane
Try using FireFox. It has a lot of features that IE does not have and is much less susceptable
to hacking and viruses.
Bill Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
Try using FireFox. It has a lot of features that IE does not have and is much less susceptable
to hacking and viruses.

I was going to change to Firefox before, but at that time it would not let me download any updates---some problem. I assume that is fixed, so maybe I will try it again.

Oh, if you use Firefox as your default browser, do you still leave IE on your computer?

Thanks
Diane---a barely computer literate person
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, youi have to leave IE on. It is the "Chassis" for the operating system.

Doesn't mean you have to actually USE the browser. I got a new comp last month. I have used IE on it once. To downlaod Firefox LOL!

Haven't opened it since.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I only use internet explorer to download Windows updates. It works well for that.

Used Netscape Navigator as my default browser and switched to Opera a few years ago. Now using Opera 8.5 and will probably stick with it for a while longer altho 8.51 is out

Nick.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I was going to change to Firefox before, but at that time it would not let me download any updates---some problem. I assume that is fixed, so maybe I will try it again.

Oh, if you use Firefox as your default browser, do you still leave IE on your computer?

Thanks
Diane---a barely computer literate person

There's many things that IE is needed for, and some web sites won't render(display) properly with firefox. What I've done is this.
1. Left IE as default browser, when I double click on a link IE comes up, with some exceptions, see below.

2. Most web surfing is done using FireFox. If I find a site that won't render properly I switch to IE for that site.

3. I use Opera for sits I go to ofter. This site is via Opera as is my web mail when I'm on the company computer. One of the nice things about Opera is that when I'm in Opera and double click on a link here, it opens up in another Opera window.

It still a good idea to download and install all security updates from Microsoft. I have my computers set to do that automaticly. When I came into the office this morning an update happened last night while I was busy sleeping.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Firefox makes you enjoy surfing the Internet again! Really!

Firefox has Extensions that are small programs that add unique functions. One of those is adding IE compatibility. This allows using Firefox to go to websites that require the non-Internet-standard IE for some reason.

Years ago when Microsoft and IBM were partners, I remember reading that Bill Gates was at IBM HQ and noticed that all the workers were using very old IBM computers and came to the conclusion that IBM was a dinosaur and he needed to move on from their partnership.

Well, Microsoft has become that dinosaur and IE is a great example of that.

Everyone should move on to Firefox. You won't regret it!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe / Volvo XC90
Quote:
Here we go again...
Keeping thoroughly on-topic... ... Microsoft ends the year with yet another Windows security hole as reported by The Washington Post yesterday:

[b]Windows Security Flaw Is 'Severe'
PCs Vulnerable to Spyware, Viruses

A previously unknown flaw in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system is leaving computer users vulnerable to spyware, viruses and other programs that could overtake their machines and has sent the company scrambling to come up with a fix.

Microsoft said in a statement yesterday that it is investigating the vulnerability and plans to issue a software patch to fix the problem. The company could not say how soon that patch would be available.

Mike Reavey, operations manager for Microsoft's Security Response Center, called the flaw "a very serious issue."

Security researchers revealed the flaw on Tuesday and posted instructions online that showed how would-be attackers could exploit the flaw. Within hours, computer virus and spyware authors were using the flaw to distribute malicious programs that could allow them to take over and remotely control afflicted computers.

Unlike with previously revealed vulnerabilities, computers can be infected simply by visiting one of the Web sites or viewing an infected image in an e-mail through the preview pane in older versions of Microsoft Outlook, even if users did not click on anything or open any files. Operating system versions ranging from the current Windows XP to Windows 98 are affected.

Microsoft has found itself under attack on several instances and has been forced to issue a number of patches to keep computers running Windows safe. [b]Mac and Linux computer users are not at risk with this attack... Because the vulnerability exists within a faulty Windows component, security experts warn that Windows users who eschew Internet Explorer in favor of alternative Web browsers, such as older versions of Firefox and Opera, can still get their PCs infected if they agree to download a file from a site taking advantage of the flaw.
Big Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:47 AM   #11

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
What's this I hear about Internet Exploder?......etc., etc.

My son took pity on the old man eons ago by insisting on Firefox: "Trust me, old man, it's good for what ails you."
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote