Microwave - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Microwave

When I got my new Escape 19 the microwave was fastened in its cubicle. The microwave died so I bought a new one that does not have the attachments on it that the old one did. The cubicle has a lip across the front that is high enough that the door of the microwave just clears it. I’m wondering if that’s enough to contain the microwave while the trailer is being towed. Anybody have any advice about this? When I came home from my Arizona winter I removed the microwave from the cubicle snd transported it on the bed.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Can you reuse the mounting kit from the old micro wave to the new one?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
When I got my new Escape 19 the microwave was fastened in its cubicle. The microwave died so I bought a new one that does not have the attachments on it that the old one did. The cubicle has a lip across the front that is high enough that the door of the microwave just clears it. I’m wondering if that’s enough to contain the microwave while the trailer is being towed. Anybody have any advice about this? When I came home from my Arizona winter I removed the microwave from the cubicle snd transported it on the bed.
When I replaced the microwave in my Escape 21, I transferred the clips the Escape uses from the old microwave to the new one. You do have to be careful of the internal electronics in the microwave - the power supply has quite a bite!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Can’t transfer for two reasons. The clips were permanently attached to the microwave which I ditched months ago. Good thought though.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It's much better if it is screwed in than just sitting there. Mine kept trying to escape even with screws.

Two methods that might make this easy: If you have access from below it, you can replace the feet screws with longer ones that go through the floor of the cabinet and can be tightened from below. If the back of the cabinet is plywood, you can simply run two or three screws through the rear of the microwave, from inside with the door open, into the rear plywood wall. This is what I did after checking the construction of the microwave. The rear of the microwave was simply one thin layer of steel, with no wires or other components.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have seen some “stickies” that use a nylon strap over the top of the micro wave and then tighten to the cabinet base either by a buckle on the strap or a turn buckle.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If the new microwave has rubber or plastic "feet", setting the feet in a "cup like this" screwed to the cabinet floor would keep it from sliding around. Most microwaves are heavy enough that the cup would be enough to hold it in place.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
If the new microwave has rubber or plastic "feet", setting the feet in a "cup like this" screwed to the cabinet floor would keep it from sliding around. Most microwaves are heavy enough that the cup would be enough to hold it in place.
Basically that is how I put the microwave in my Scamp, PLUS I used a strap over the top, PLUS (before travel) I put a piece of PVC pipe at a 45 degree angle inside the compartment in front of the microwave door (just in case the strap fails). And of course I secure the rotating glass plate. It still gets bounced around pretty good. You can't go wrong by securing it more than you think might be needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave