Microwave cabinet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Microwave cabinet

The microwave in my Escape died. It was held in its cabinet with some brackets. No way to remove them to attach to a new microwave. No door on the cabinet but there’s a lip on the front that the microwave door just clears. I’m wondering if that’s sufficient to keep it in place while travelling. Anybody have thoughts? Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Bob, how about a couple angle brackets from a hardware store, attach to the microwave after you determine a location where you can drill into it without causing any damage. When we did have a microwave in the cabinet in our Casita I put a piece of rubber under it to help keep it from sliding around. Don't have the microwave in there anymore as we decided to use that cabinet for food storage.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The way the microwave was mounted in my boat was screws came up through drilled holes in the cabinet floor and went into the bottom of the microwave where its feet were mounted. Plenty secure enough for a sea going boat.

In my Oliver, I replaced the existing microwave and mounted the new one by drilling through the back wall of the oven area and running three screws into the wall behind it. Just pushed into place and ran the screws through the back all. That area of the oven was only a single thickness of metal with no electronic or moving parts. Behind it, the back of the cabinet, is 1/2" plywood.

You have to make sure the door operates when it is in the position you want it and it may require some spacer blocks behind or underneath. See how the cord is managed to make sure it doesn't get pinched.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Thumbs up MW??

We already had a smallish MW ,[from one of the kids' college detritus], so we ordered our 2018 Casita Indy w/o the MW.....so we have a nice door to that hole(cabinet) wh we use to keep the small MW in its place on the road, plus we use the door OPEN w a hot pad to protect it. (the cabinet came w the electric outlet in it, and a vent on each side)
We keep stuff like paper plates slid in beside the MW to keep it from sliding aeound..works for us.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave