Microwave shelf failure in Scamp 16 Layout 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Microwave shelf failure in Scamp 16 Layout 4

I noticed that the bottom of my microwave oven door was hitting the edge of the shelf opening (on the right side) and investigated to find that the shelf that the microwave sits on was out of level. Further inspection was somewhat difficult since I had to remove two screws and the carpet from the bottom, lift the carpet off the sides part way, and remove a rivet I had added to support a paper towel holder at the sink. The OSB wood shelf is wedged in very tight but with some effort I could lift it up far enough to see that the support on the right (aft) side had come loose. It was just barley hanging on one edge and turned 90 degrees so it was mostly hidden and not providing any support. One more good bump in the road and it likely would have fallen into the back side of the fridge compartment. The photo is after I pulled out the shelf support.

Further inspection shows that it was only held on with adhesive (and two small pieces of yellow tape used to hold it in place at time of attachment). It was not glassed in place like most of the other wood support structures tied into the shell or fiberglass cabinets. Sorry to say it, but this is another demerit for Evelands Inc quality. But please lets just say the camper is still a good value overall and leave it as that.

Options for repair include reattaching with construction adhesive, glassing it in place, using mechanical fasteners, or a combination of those. I am leaning toward adhesive with screws. It would mean two holes in the cabinet but I would trust the repair.

We can also look at the sealing of the exhaust compartment. It basically consists of wood on wood with carpet on top. When the shelf support came loose a gap opened that would allow exhaust into the camper.

Lastly, I wonder if it is worth trying to wedge some insulation around the fridge box while I have it open like this. Ridged panels wont go into the sides very well but might work under the shelf
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge Microwave 1.jpg   IMG_20190916_094446814.jpg  

IMG_20190916_094808319.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #2

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
We have had Scamps for 11years now and they are the low cost of fiberglass. They also preform as such. Yes Scamp is a work on ever trip. They leak in wet weather also. Rivets are a problem. Like a old auto they are a work in progress on ever trip. But like Gordon said they are what you paid for the lowest cost fiberglass camper.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quick follow-up...
The wall of the fiberglass unit that houses the large fridge and the microwave shelf was not flat on the right (aft) side, so the adhesive on the wood support did not make good contact along its length. So I did use two screws into the new and larger shelf support and covered the heads with snap caps. A small price to pay for a very secure shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Screws used.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
We have had Scamps for 11years now and they are the low cost of fiberglass. They also preform as such. Yes Scamp is a work on ever trip. They leak in wet weather also. Rivets are a problem. Like a old auto they are a work in progress on ever trip. But like Gordon said they are what you paid for the lowest cost fiberglass camper.
M Scamp only 15 years old, when do I start expecting all that trouble?
So far its been excellent and is still ready to compare with anything new in terms of build quality and reliability.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, scamp