Miffed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Benita, did that woman ever get a motorhome? If so, you could get her to show you a picture, and when you see it (whatever it is), respond with "Oh, I thought you got a real motorhome", and show her a photo of a million-dollar bus-type unit to explain that her unit is just one of those camper things mounted on some truck chassis.

Name:   Marathon.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  5.9 KB

Okay, that's petty and not at all constructive, but I smiled just imagining her reaction.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
She responded back that she was talking about RVs and why did I send her a picture of a trailer? Now, I know its petty of me to be miffed with her, its has been a while now, but I am. I responded back that RVs fall into classes and travel trailers are considered RVS. She came back with, "But, I was talking about a real RV."

Its not like she said I had an ugly baby. [b]But, you know, it kinda is.
[b]I feel your pain.
When I was young, after renting a sucession of apartments, I decided I wanted to buy something. However, at the time (Carter Administration) the Southern California Real Estate market was out of my reach. I didn't have the 20% down payment. Condominimums hadn't been "invented" yet.

I decide to buy a 10' x 50' "Mobile Home." Some people called them "trailers," with their noses in a distinct northern altitude, but I didn't care. Heck, I called mine a "trailer" as well. But not my new neighbor, Norma. (My own personal "Miss Havisham") [b]"IT'S NOT A TRAILER!!!" she would scream, in a voice designed to turn your spinal column into jello. It's a MOBILE HOME. Hers was a newer 12' wide, with an expando Living Room. (A slide-out). OO-oo-o-o-o!!

I "buried" Norma last August. Handled her affairs after she died. Adopted her cats. Let the County Welfare office repossess her "Mobile Home" to try to recoup the money they spent fixing it up 10 years ago. I wasn't going to be liable for the space rent.

Your friend saying, "But, I was talking about a real RV." sounded in my head just like "IT'S NOT A TRAILER!!!"
I feel your pain.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #17

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Benita, did that woman ever get a motorhome?
This is her real RV. She got it last week. Its a 1984 that cost her $4,900. Her fantasy is to [b]inexpensively run her live-in kennel back and forth between Massachussets where she's from and her home in South Carolina.

There will be no future comments between the two of us. She had one of her menopausal flares where she became the only being of intelligence and reason in the world and I told her she was right about absolutely anything she wanted to say. (She'd just finished a tirade about how miserable her life was.) I assured her I would never disturb her with my issues again. (Whatever they are, she seems to think I have plenty of them but she can't figure out what they are ) I decided life would be simpler for both of us if I declared my intent to not add to her self-professed confusion and go elsewhere with my issue laden but not confused self.
Attached Thumbnails
lytz.jpg  
Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #18

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
Quote:
This is her real RV. She got it last week. Its a 1984 that cost her $4,900. Her fantasy is to [b]inexpensively run her live-in kennel back and forth between Massachussets where she's from and her home in South Carolina.
Hmmmmm, 22 yrs old. Bet she breaks down on the road with that ole junker a few times or else has a lot of repairs that we don't have with our cute little "RV'"s pulled with newer than 22 yr old cars. I would bet that this one will cost her a lot more money than our eggs do.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Of late, with the fuel prices as they are, I'd think you could get a "real RV" for about the same price as a "FG-RV", maybe even for a little less.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Land Yacht

A "real RV" (ha!) pulling a vehicle. (One point deducted if "real RV" is not towing a truck or car.)
Extra points if unit is obviously rented because
a) They are painted and striped to match and/or
They have "RENT ME!" in huge letters plastered across the enormous body.

My local Buy N Sell publication has quads (ATVS) and everything else in their Recreational Vehicle section, so 1. Is it fun? and 2. does it use gas? are the only parameters for inclusion there.

I once knew a sales rep of trailers -- sorry, mobile homes -- who would say often and loudly "It's a MANUFACTURED HOME!"

Yeesh, some people, eh?

There was a cartoon in the local newspaper a while back: Spot the Tourist. Pictured were a pick up with a large dog in the back, another pick-up truck with a dog in the back, another pick up with a dog in the back, and a land yacht. (I asked hubby when we bought our first truck here: "Does it come with a dog or do we need to buy that separately?")
Old 03-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #21

Trailer: Trail Michigante 1972

Click image for larger version

Name:	delivery_001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	1585
BOY I AM GLAD I DONT HAVE TO DRIVE THIS DOWN THE HIGH WAY MY OTHER RV IS A TRAIL MITE
Old 03-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
So, Benita, although you will never say anything to her, if you did you could point out that she just has a Class C, not a real Class A motorhome...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
[quote]
Attachment 1585

Hey Gang, in case you missed it... Lee really does "drive" this yacht (on the water). What a beauty, Lee!

Benita, you're going to have to let this one go. I find that a simple ritual sometimes helps. Let's see... you could use the picture of her "real RV" as a dart board target. Not into darts? Maybe just slowly ripping the photo and her email to shreds would help.

Nancy
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Let it go. It's not worth the price. (The emotional price)

Think happy thoughts. Go camping. Watch the birds, the water roll over the rocks, the clouds dirft by.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #25

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Ohio
We need to put this in a world wide perspective. In how many countries is there a real RV demand? Our trailers would be looked viewed as a great Home. Here in the "good old USA we have lost the ability to desire the things we need not the things we want. They just love Marje and I at the Trustee and School Board meetings. I think most of the people who are content with and get real joy and use from their small trailers are very much in tune with reality and what will be sustainable in the long run.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #26

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I'm better now that I'm not trying to be nice to her. Not that I'm a mean person, it was just taxing to feign interest in her interests. We were in contact almost daily. Like I said, like chewing card board for an extended period. She's probably happier too. I had a potential sweetheart tell me once that I was hard to talk to because I am always going on about stuff that you have to think about. That gives other people headaches.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Oh well. We're actively living/promoting elitism here as well, after all. Most of us think we're smarter than the others because we travel in lightweight molded fiberglass. Not just a trailer, not a stick built, not even a fiberglass sided trailer.

And of course, we can parse that out a little finer if we'd like. Some boon dockers can't understand those that travel from plug to plug. Some people feel superior because of a computer brand. The solar panel types hoot and stomp when the generators are brought out. Not to mention the McCulloch/Honda family feud. I personally hold forlornly onto the proposition that living up north with the wide seasonal weather swings makes me healthy while in truth I'd probably kill a kitten to be living somewhere warm year round.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #28

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I had a potential sweetheart tell me once that I was hard to talk to because I am always going on about stuff that you have [b]to think about. That gives other people headaches.
Have you ever thought about joining The Club?
I'm a life member...