Miffed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
A woman who has been on several of the same message boards as I over the last few years confessed a while back that she wanted an RV. I responded back with a picture of the Fiber Stream and chatter about the joys of the open road. She responded back that she was talking about RVs and why did I send her a picture of a trailer? Now, I know its petty of me to be miffed with her, its has been a while now, but I am. I responded back that RVs fall into classes and travel trailers are considered RVS. She came back with, "But, I was talking about a real RV."

Ok, its been proven to me over time conversation with her is like chewing card board when you are used to 5 star cuisine. Her problems are obvious. But the fact that I'm still icked with her after about 2 years is starting to bother me. She can't help being as she is. I should be more mature than this. I want to let the air out of the tires of her "real RV".

There. I hope I got that off my chest. I'll just let the dog pee on the tires of her real RV. I won't touch them. (At least I'm going to keep thinking that.) Its not like she said I had an ugly baby. But, you know, it kinda is.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Benita, Benita,
Life's too short to let things like that get "under your skin". Save the emotion until someone sneaks into the parking space as you are also turning in. Or gets ahead of you in the 10 items or less line at the market with a full cart, can't find their coupons, and all you want is a quart of milk.
Gotta give you credit though, you hung on for 2 years! Wouldn't it be great if your dog really could relieve your stress as easily as he relieves himself?
I suspect most of us have dealt (or are dealing) with similar feelings. Sometimes getting them out in the open and talking about them helps. And sometimes they may even appear humorous in retrospect.
Maybe you can chuckle at the thought of the cost she'll endure filling her fuel tanks compared to .... What am I saying? No one gets to travel in-expensively any more. Some just get to travel a little farther down the road on their astronomically priced fuel.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It's like a thorn that gets buried deep and you can't find it. But, just consider the source. I wouldn't say that she ignorant, just unlearned. Maybe you can turn that anger into sympathy because you know her repairs bills are gonna be way bigger than yours. What's she gonna do if that engine conks out and they have to tow her bedroom AND transportation away? No place to stay OR a way to get there while they are repairing it. AND the bills ....

So ... just consider the source and smile to yourself that you have made a very wise decision.

Truth be told, she probably doesn't think she can handle a trailer if she's going to be setting out on her own. That's what I have found out from the women that I have run across.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Benita,

I get whacked every time I am nearly blown off the interstate by a real RV going maybe 75 or so while I am purring along slightly above 55 mph (speed limit for towing in CA). Usually the real RV is towing an SUV at least as big as my tug. Perhaps the real RV people get a reality check at bill paying time. Not all of them have more money than they can spend! I like to avoid the parks where real RVs go.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Perhaps if you wanted to be a stinker, you could very sweetly point out that you didn't realize that she didn't know any better. But you're SURE by now, she has learned that all RVs are broken up into classes/types. And, if she had asked about motor homes, then you would have known to not send her a picture of your trailer. However, since she was so general, you just thought she was talking about an RV and not a specific type.

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
What she wants is a "mo-ho."
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
I recently switched from a Gateway computer at home to an Apple Macintosh (which is a completely different machine).

After that switch, I feel I can easily draw a comparison between Macs and FGRVs.

Both are not well known in their market. About 5% of the computer market share uses Mac computers. FGRVs are few and far between compared to stickies.

Both are superior products in their market. Macs are more stable, secure, and pleasing to the eye than the average PC. FGRVs are lightweight, built for longevity, and have the best use of space for any RV.

I could go on and on, but my point is this. Knowing what I know about these two little known, yet superior products I try to do everything I can to educate people who aren't "in the know" about these products. Many times with no success.

If people haven't heard about it, seen it on TV, or if there isn't one on every street corner, then they think it can't be a good product. That is of course their problem.
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Benita,
You mentioned that she said that she 'wanted' a real rv. There it tis ! I'll bet she still doesn't have one. So don't give it a second thought, just thumb your nose at her while you have been and are still enjoying traveling hither and yon with your fiberglass castle. I have noticed one thing when we are setting up at rv parks - I can put money on it that someone is going to ask to see inside our Casita. These eggs have a certain charm other rv's just don't have. Think about it. Maybe you are the one who should be smug ! LOL !!
Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #9

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
It's probably worth pointing out that the woman-in-question's distinction is a fairly common one. For many, an RV is something that moves under it's own power. In our local paper - there are separate sections for "RVs" and "Camping Trailers". The RV section is for things with engines - everything else goes in the 'camping trailer' section (including glass). When it comes down to it - as long as her responses were polite and considerate - a trailer isn't what she wanted, and there's nothing wrong with that. Different stuff for different folks.

I suspect that a minor linguistic difference of opinion isn't what the problem was though. It's the percieved 'dissing' of your (and pretty much everybody here's) particular choice. In that regard - I'd agree with the "life's too short to sweat it" response. There's plenty of things I've done (or am still doing) that at least some people object to. I stopped caring years ago. Actually... before I stopped caring - I had the opposite response and was far more likely to do things to deliberately irritate people like that. Not exactly a healthy attitude - but entertaining.

I suppose the only attitude I get from folks in monster RVs that I find irritating is their assumption that I WANT some equivalent lump as they have and simply can't afford it. Turning that around helps keep me from being TOO big a cheerleader in the opposite direction.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Benita!

She can't help it...today at school one of my kids asked, "How many weeks are in this nine weeks?" Another was looking at a Menu from "Sticky Fingers Barbeque" and asked what a "Menooo" is?

These people go through life in total innocence missing the understanding of lots of stuff...and most of the time an angel or something is watching over them keeping them safe. They can be in Honors classes or Special Ed. ... they just 'ARE.'

So...just laugh and let it go! IMO

Randy:-)
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Sometimes I find it neat how many people on this site have gone full circle, from tents to class A motor homes and ended up with an egg and now seem to be truly quite happy..... and I don`t think it`s for lack of finances....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
When my twins were born I was blown away by the remarks that came from family and strangers alike. Over time, I became so irritated with people wanting to stop me and tell me what they thought about twins I realized I was the one who was now rude. Some of the comments were....boy, am I glad those twins are yours and not mine.......boy, do I feel sorry for you.......boy, you think it's hard now wait until they are older....and my all time favorite was......Geez, second only to a disabled child, twins are my worst nightmare! I had to remove myself from all of it and realize most of those people were clueless. I really believe they had no idea how hurtful their comments were. Unfortunately, a large part of society is sorely lacking in social skills. It's like when God was handing out brain to mouth filters, they were somewhere else. I'm with Suz, I love that sneaky shot, however.....I have found that it can easily come back and bite me in the ass!

I have a sign that hangs over my front door so we can all be reminded as we leave to go about our daily tasks, it reads......"because nice matters".

Some people just don't get it, and they never will.
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Just be glad so many people don't get it. If they did, we'd soon be priced out of the egg market! Better to be under-appreciated than over, sez I.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
A woman who has been on several of the same message boards as I over the last few years confessed a while back that she wanted an RV. I responded back with a picture of the Fiber Stream and chatter about the joys of the open road. She responded back that she was talking about RVs and why did I send her a picture of a trailer? Now, I know its petty of me to be miffed with her, its has been a while now, but I am. I responded back that RVs fall into classes and travel trailers are considered RVS. She came back with, "But, I was talking about a real RV."

Ok, its been proven to me over time conversation with her is like chewing card board when you are used to 5 star cuisine. Her problems are obvious. But the fact that I'm still icked with her after about 2 years is starting to bother me. She can't help being as she is. I should be more mature than this. I want to let the air out of the tires of her "real RV".

There. I hope I got that off my chest. I'll just let the dog pee on the tires of her real RV. I won't touch them. (At least I'm going to keep thinking that.) Its not like she said I had an ugly baby. But, you know, it kinda is.

Tell me where the "Real RV" is parked and I would love to write "real RV" on it with shoe polish. I can see your rub with this. I guess we should just pity her.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Benita, did that woman ever get a motorhome? If so, you could get her to show you a picture, and when you see it (whatever it is), respond with "Oh, I thought you got a real motorhome", and show her a photo of a million-dollar bus-type unit to explain that her unit is just one of those camper things mounted on some truck chassis.

Name:   Marathon.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  5.9 KB

Okay, that's petty and not at all constructive, but I smiled just imagining her reaction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
She responded back that she was talking about RVs and why did I send her a picture of a trailer? Now, I know its petty of me to be miffed with her, its has been a while now, but I am. I responded back that RVs fall into classes and travel trailers are considered RVS. She came back with, "But, I was talking about a real RV."

Its not like she said I had an ugly baby. [b]But, you know, it kinda is.
[b]I feel your pain.
When I was young, after renting a sucession of apartments, I decided I wanted to buy something. However, at the time (Carter Administration) the Southern California Real Estate market was out of my reach. I didn't have the 20% down payment. Condominimums hadn't been "invented" yet.

I decide to buy a 10' x 50' "Mobile Home." Some people called them "trailers," with their noses in a distinct northern altitude, but I didn't care. Heck, I called mine a "trailer" as well. But not my new neighbor, Norma. (My own personal "Miss Havisham") [b]"IT'S NOT A TRAILER!!!" she would scream, in a voice designed to turn your spinal column into jello. It's a MOBILE HOME. Hers was a newer 12' wide, with an expando Living Room. (A slide-out). OO-oo-o-o-o!!

I "buried" Norma last August. Handled her affairs after she died. Adopted her cats. Let the County Welfare office repossess her "Mobile Home" to try to recoup the money they spent fixing it up 10 years ago. I wasn't going to be liable for the space rent.

Your friend saying, "But, I was talking about a real RV." sounded in my head just like "IT'S NOT A TRAILER!!!"
I feel your pain.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Benita, did that woman ever get a motorhome?
This is her real RV. She got it last week. Its a 1984 that cost her $4,900. Her fantasy is to [b]inexpensively run her live-in kennel back and forth between Massachussets where she's from and her home in South Carolina.

There will be no future comments between the two of us. She had one of her menopausal flares where she became the only being of intelligence and reason in the world and I told her she was right about absolutely anything she wanted to say. (She'd just finished a tirade about how miserable her life was.) I assured her I would never disturb her with my issues again. (Whatever they are, she seems to think I have plenty of them but she can't figure out what they are ) I decided life would be simpler for both of us if I declared my intent to not add to her self-professed confusion and go elsewhere with my issue laden but not confused self.
Attached Thumbnails
lytz.jpg  
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
This is her real RV. She got it last week. Its a 1984 that cost her $4,900. Her fantasy is to [b]inexpensively run her live-in kennel back and forth between Massachussets where she's from and her home in South Carolina.
Hmmmmm, 22 yrs old. Bet she breaks down on the road with that ole junker a few times or else has a lot of repairs that we don't have with our cute little "RV'"s pulled with newer than 22 yr old cars. I would bet that this one will cost her a lot more money than our eggs do.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Of late, with the fuel prices as they are, I'd think you could get a "real RV" for about the same price as a "FG-RV", maybe even for a little less.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Land Yacht

A "real RV" (ha!) pulling a vehicle. (One point deducted if "real RV" is not towing a truck or car.)
Extra points if unit is obviously rented because
a) They are painted and striped to match and/or
They have "RENT ME!" in huge letters plastered across the enormous body.

My local Buy N Sell publication has quads (ATVS) and everything else in their Recreational Vehicle section, so 1. Is it fun? and 2. does it use gas? are the only parameters for inclusion there.

I once knew a sales rep of trailers -- sorry, mobile homes -- who would say often and loudly "It's a MANUFACTURED HOME!"

Yeesh, some people, eh?

There was a cartoon in the local newspaper a while back: Spot the Tourist. Pictured were a pick up with a large dog in the back, another pick-up truck with a dog in the back, another pick up with a dog in the back, and a land yacht. (I asked hubby when we bought our first truck here: "Does it come with a dog or do we need to buy that separately?")
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote