Might take a drive to see a burro....any comments - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Might take a drive to see a burro....any comments

There is a Burro on eBay...I might go take a drive tomorrow and take a look. Anyone see anything in the pictures that may cause concern? I see several spots where there are obviously holes that have been drilled. Does the A/C set up look OK? Looks like the support for the bunks is still there, so would just need to re-attach it with a hinge. The table and cabinet doors look like they are plywood, but can be re-finished I would think.....toilet will probably be thrown (we already have one) and the fridge will likely be sold as we have two of those already..... Cushions need attention and the curtains are UGLY....so new ones are in order, but other than the holes and the wire you can see hanging down in a couple of the pics, I thought it looked pretty good.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
ahhhhh.... link?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ahhhhh.... link?
NO RESERVE 1979 Burro/Scamp Pull-Behind Camper Trailer in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

I don't see anything obvious. The AC is novel. Looks like you wouldn't travel with it in place, but at least the window isn't all butchered up..
Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Cricket the only thing that would concern me is the fact the fridge is electric only. It may work for you though if you only ever plan to camp in spots that have power. Also no mention of brakes on the trailer if thats something you need in order to pull with your tow vehicle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #5

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
This is just like our first Burro, but a year younger! We loved that little trailer and it drew lots of attention from passersby.

The electric-only fridge is all we've ever had and find no problem with it, but we don't camp in primitive areas. If we had to, we would take our 2000W generator with us, but we've never done that yet.

The AC looks good and travels on the front bunk seat. Looks good, but you would want to put a bit more insulation/covering around it when installed to keep the bugs out. Also, you may not need such a large unit and could find a smaller, lighter AC. It doesn't have to cool much space!

This one is in far better shape than our Burro was when we got it from a car auction place, being sold on eBay. We ended up paying about $2700 for it and had to bid right up until the last 30 seconds. If you bid, set your bid high enough to cover most last minute bids and be sure to be online when the auction is finishing. Fast fingers win!

Since the Burro has the same double walled hull as a UHaul, those holes you see are just through the inside wall. They can be easily patched with white epoxy or caulk. I think the wires hanging down may have been for some type of hanger system... drying clothes? They don't seem to be a problem. Also, don't worry about brakes on this model. Being small, it really doesn't need them. You will need to grease the hubs/bearings every year or so, too, because these are generally not sealed units. Easy but messy job! Just jack up the trailer and get to it!

This looks like a really nice starter trailer for you. You can put a bunk bed over the front seat and have two beds for the kids. When you outgrow it in a few years, the resale value will still be high. Have fun with a great little trailer.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #6

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Depending on the size of your tow vehicle you may not need brakes, you should check your vehicle specs. I brought my camper home using a friends truck until I figured out my towing capacity. I have a 13ft UHaul (comparable to a burro) and I tow with a Ford Escape 6cyl. Good luck on your visit!
And don't be afraid to just make an offer, because they can always pull the listing if they want to sell to you.
...I just checked the past listiings on this camper and it sold for $3101.00 and then $3350.00.s So apparently both buyers never finalized the purchases so he relisted it again. This will give you an idea of the pricing.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #7

Minnesota
TV doesn't have electric brakes, so i won't worry about that. Most of my concern was the holes....don't want any leaks....on my way to meet with my tailor to talk about cushions. Thomas, thanks for the link....i was on my way out the door and forgot to add it! Good thing i posted it....had almost talked myself out of going.....
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Don't omit to let us know how it goes.

jack
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #9

Minnesota
Looking at the burro now. There is no insulation in it anywhere and lucky for me it is raining so i can see all the leaks!......under the back seats and under the sink cabinet are pretty wet....faint smell of mold that they tried to cover with carpet cleaner. Metal plate bolted to the bottom and a piece of wood seems to be filing a gap in the wheelwell....roof vent is dry. Impressions so far?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Sounds like yet another "keeper." A little bird told me recently that the level of "visibility"of members here encourages a high regard for the social compact and the Boy Scout oath. Have you looked at trailers advertised by members in the FGRV classifieds? As we are apparently more honest than Abe, I assume you haven't but what do I know?

jack
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #11

Minnesota
And there are two huge holes in the fiberglass floor...metal plate bolted to hunk of wood underneath!.....WAY over my level of fixability...

I have been watching the classifieds here and am working with a new member to get together and look at a uhaul....this one was fairly close to home....the uhaul is not, so i took a chance....i should just have saved my gas for the longer trip!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #12

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Wet under the back seats probably means the back window or a side window is leaking. Not unusual with all older trailers since the window gaskets dry out or weep holes are plugged somewhere. Under the sink wetness could be coming down an inside wall from the roof vent or from another kitchen vent. The mold is not hard to handle in the fiberglass walls with appropriate cleaners.

Floor patches may cover a soft spot in the wood, but can be fixed. (Edit: I just saw your latest about the big holes, so this is probably a floor that needs to be totally replaced. That's a big project. The holes in the floor might be why earlier sales were voided. For the right person, this would be a good project since the body is in great shape, but I agree that this would be a tough project for you.)
Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #13

Minnesota
I think one of the side windows was leaking. The nice part was you could see where the water had started. One was from the place where the power cord goes out, one was around a taillight and the other obvious one was the side under the window. Vent seemed dry (had enough caulk around it to build a whole trailer) but it had some sort of domed vent cover as well. There was a crack inside over the door and over the stove. The doorhandle didn't work well and didn't latch very tight. There were probably 30 holes of various sizes drilled all over the place. The outside paint was new and shiny but was already starting to peel around the edges. Tires were weather checked and the bearing covers got painted and were stuck on.....add that to the mold, and the two holes in the floor and it is still in iowa for someone to restore. Curious to see if he'll edit the ad on ebay. It was at a car dealership...they had taken it on trade and he was very interested in why i wasn't interested, so i showed him....so he knows all that stuff is there.....leaks, cracks, holes and all!