Mileage gadget - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
The problem with reading the boards is you find new things you want! I want to add this one to my list! All I know is my gas mileage is much higher going 55 than 65--and makes anyone drving with me crazy because they think I'm going too slow. As a friend pointed out to me yesterday on the way home from work (we're carpooling which really helps!), "Lisa, the speed limit is 65." "Yes, that's the MAXIMUM speed, not the minimum."

I'm thinking if I get it before I go to Bandon and beyond this summer, it may have some new tricks for increasing my gas mileage and may pay for itself fairly soon.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #16

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
In days gone by, JC Whitney sold a really great looking Vacuum gauge device that was multi colored (Red - Yellow - Green) that had a needle that moved based on the vacuum of the intake manifold. It would move to red when you pressed down on the accelerator thus telling you that you were getting rotten MPG when gas was 35 cents per gallon. The gage was Really COOL Looking more than practical.

Also in those days when your windshield wipers and distributor ran on the vacuum, your wipers would STOP when you accelerated to hard.

I have not seen one of these gages in years and wonder if they would work today in the throttle body fuel injected vehicles and also wonder if it would upset MS. Computer that is running everything in and on the engine.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
Also in those days when your windshield wipers and distributor ran on the vacuum, your wipers would STOP when you accelerated to hard.
I had one of those without the gage.

It was called a VW Bus
Old 06-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #18

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I bought a really neat gadget to boost my gas mileage!!! It's called a locking gas cap. Before I bought it someone cut the cap off the string and was helping them selves to the gas... drastically reducing my mileage.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Take a second look at General Motors. My first car, a 1977 Cadillac DeVille 425ci (7 liters!) had a computer that gave most of that information, including instant and average mileage, and range. That car was lemon yellow with plaid cloth seats! On later Cadillacs I owned, the computer trouble codes (I never had any except for 1 oxygen sensor) could be checked by putting a paper clip into the data port, turning the key "on", and counting the flashes of the "check engine" light. I carry a simple $120 tool to read trouble codes out of '96 and up vehicles.

My sorry Dodge at least displays the temperature and the compass direction.

My mother's much-newer Honda Odyssey doesn't have a compass, and she had to add a poor retrofit XM unit to get satellite radio. Even though the radio says on the face, "XM Ready", it would cost $700 to actually receive it through the original radio. There is also no trip computer.

My father's Pontiac Aztek shows in a neat scrollable display: temperature, direction, instant mileage, average mileage, tire pressure, average speed, oil life indexed to engine RPM, etc.
The car has satellite radio intuitably controllable from buttons on the wheel, and you can make a hands-free satellite phone call dialed by voice. The car emails the owner monthly with a check of essential measures, and tells you if something needs attention. If something is out of order (tire pressure uneven, service overdue, trouble code reported) the car will send you an extra email. If you crash, the car calls emergency services automatically. The emails from the car actually include details like miles-traveled-per-day, helping you with the gas budget!

I bought that first Cadillac at age 17 in 1987 and have owned many more. I don't think I would invest in an OBD II device to improve the old Dodge; I will save the money and put it into a GM truck that has all that built in to begin with! I started driving with mileage monitors and I think instant and average MPG displays should be required on all vehicles.
P
Old 06-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Darwin, I had one of those on my '64 Dodge Dart!! They still make them and I used one to find a partially blocked sock filter in the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank of my '82 Dodge pickup truck.

http://www.automotive-diagnostic-tools.com...inn3620-ast.htm

Would need to find a tap-able full vacuum source on engine. I still halfway expect wipers to stop when I apply uphill throttle in rain
Old 08-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #21

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I have the scangauge II with the xGauge addition
My transmission temps go up about 20-25 degrees when towing.
No tow- 155-165 degrees
Towing 165-180 degrees
Water temp 192 degrees
This gauge is very cool does many other things also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	I_452639_CL_1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	22359

I found a used one for under $100.00
Old 08-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I've had the scangauge II for over a year. It is very cool, especially in the beginning. You have to remember to reset it after each tank fillup. But like mentioned already, it didn't teach me anything I didn't know about mpg, but it the other info like battery voltage, temps are helpful when towing. Well worth the money for a fun gadget. Also it will decode any engine codes as well, then you don't have to rent/buy a device for that.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #23

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Hi: I bought a really neat gadget to boost my gas mileage!!! It's called a locking gas cap. Before I bought it someone cut the cap off the string and was helping them selves to the gas... drastically reducing my mileage.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
But it improved my mileage
Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
decode any engine codes is a big plus (to me) on a long trip.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Interesting topic, enough that I'm about to order a ScanGauge. I don't much care about the mpg stuff but the ability to obtain the engine trouble codes and monitor transmission temps seems useful to me.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #26

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Not to say that this would take the place of the aforementioned gauge, but it just occurred to me that one could probably use one of those "point and shoot" infrared thermometers to check transmission temps (or at least relative temps).... maybe?

I guess you'd probably have to get out of the car to do it, but then one always has to stop for gas anyway.

Raya
Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #27

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I have mine set to read
Transmission temp
Water Temp
Miles per Gallon
Volts

Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #28

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Kevin, the xGauge addition is just setting up different guages in the scanguage software right. It's not another physical display you have to buy. Do I have this right or way off track?