Milenicom vs. Verizon - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Name: Carla
Trailer: Casita Liberty Delux
Norm and Ginny....Not sure I'll be able to beat that! But as we get into this full-timing gig this year my interests maybe will change and I'll be less into being connected all the time!

cozygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Connected all the time.

Our use of the phone, computer and internet has changed dramatically since we began. The phone now dominates over the computer for both of us. Our smart phone has replaced a significant percentage of every thing we used to do on the computer. The only emails we do by computer are long ones and similarly with web sites like this.

The phone is our camera, phone, email service, GPS, Place Locator, news, weather, sports, newspaper, calendar, notepad, contact list, Geocaching tool and Nook (I read more books on my phone than Nook because I always have my phone with me.) We use it for word games with friends and nieces. It has Tango and Skype for face to face conversation, particularly with young people. We each use about a gigabyte a month on the phones. The smart phones abilities and uses are almost too large..... I can't imagine I'll ever know all it's uses.

It's interesting that you said your "interests may change". Being on the road for long periods has been life changing for us in many ways... ways I could never imagine.

We camped in a deep valley in Elko area's Ruby mountains and had both Verizon phone and internet. We do use a wilson signal booster.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Scamp 16'
South Carolina
Norm and Ginny...I could kick myself for not snagging the mi-fi unit when we took my son off our shared plan...could have grandfathered ourselves in on the unlimited thing and had the hot-spot to boot. Ain't that always so with hindsight?

As is we could downgrade the number of minutes, but it's not any cheaper to do so with the way Verizon has restructured their plans.

I have seriously considered Boost Mobile as the monthly fee reduces by $5 for every six months you reboost on time. The downside is that they operate on the Sprint network and I'm just not convinced they will provide the coverage we think we need.

T-mobile buys minutes from all the carriers so your network is based on the phone you buy. They have some interesting plans as does Straight Talk through Wal-mart, but I need to do some more research on those.

But, I digress from the original point. (no surprize there)

For the time we'll have internet hot-spot through Millenicom using the Verizon network and cell phone service through Verizon directly.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
We get 5 gigabytes of data only (no phone) for $50. Every month we come close to going over. No movies, no video, just email, a couple of forums, some shopping, and web browsing. The frustrating part is that Verizon does not have real time metering. You get snap shots. Some days we use 100 megabytes, some days 300. It gets recorded when they get around to it. At 4.5 gb, we stop.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We have a Samsung Galaxy 3S and it has realtime data monitoring built into the phone.

It will notify you when you reach a specified data usage, say 75% of your data allowance, that you set. As well you can choose to set a limit to data used per month.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Let me throw something else in here.

You can also get a Magic Jack and use it with the Millennium and thus have a "Home Phone" wherever you are as long as you have the Internet connection.
You pick what area code you want it to be in and it offers free calling and Voice Mail essentially and is pretty slick.

I am not suggesting niot getting a cell phone and plan at all but the MJ can help augment that and keep the minutes down if you have another way to talk.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
my wife and i are not away from our RV home base but ~7 or so week-ish long trips a year at this point, but where we go, for better/worse we have no cell towers (we are grandfathered in with verizon unlimited 4G). We have looked at some satellite alternatives but YEIKS! Here in oregon direct TV is pushing internet but the set up on the road at camp is a chore (and a slight no-no i hear?).

For now we simply forgo any outside contact for ~5day stretches and hope no one really needs to contact us. Our camps are so far up in the bonnies that services are non-existent for now ,(

I'm contemplating rooting both our phones (contract is up in april so nothing to stop me from doodling with the phones) so we can use PDAnet type software on them, as they are now i can not stream/link to our tablet even though we have unlimited data.
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #22
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Your Verizon plan has unlimited data, but you mention wanting "increased data at lower cost." Well, it's hard to get more than unlimited data so I guess what you are really wanting is lower cost.

Best thing would be to sit down and make a list of what you really think you'll need. How many minutes, how many texts, how much data. Then make a list of the various services you are discovering, and what they provide at what cost. If you can put together a package of services that will save you money, great. If not, then you already have the best deal for your own needs.

I did this for myself a couple of months ago. I am a low user, though. I only use up to 30 minutes/month, a couple dozen texts, and next to zero data... but I want to be able to use more data during the summer months while traveling, and I'm not yet sure how much will be enough. So for me, the flexibility of Consumer Cellular won out over the others (about ten companies) I found and compared.

If you need a thousand minutes a month and a whole lotta data besides, I am not sure if you'll find a better package... unless you can be happy with MagicJack or PDA net or some other method of routing most of your minutes through wifi to make them part of your data.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #23
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
The only thing I would add to this is to determine what network(s) each plan uses, and what parts of the country they cover. A useful app to help is the Coverage? app. A good price is of no use if the plan does not cover the areas you plan to travel.

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote

« Snow | Stolen Scamp »