Minimum Ground Clearance Needed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #15

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
I dig discount tires and tirerack as well, but if I am fulltiming, are the 15in Casita tires more likely to be in stock at a local chain vs. the 13in Scamp tires? (We're talking an emergency here). Or would I be screwed either way and waiting a few days for an online retailer to ship them to a local installer?

Old 11-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #16

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
My trailer is a large Bigfoot with not very much ground clearance. I have had it in some pretty rough places with no problems but I took it REAL slow and I have a lot of experience with off road driving. The most frequently encountered problem is tail dragging. One thing not very many people realize is when you lift a trailer, that makes it taller and it will catch more wind while towing on the highway. That will reduce the fuel economy.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
I dig discount tires and tirerack as well, but if I am fulltiming, are the 15in Casita tires more likely to be in stock at a local chain vs. the 13in Scamp tires? (We're talking an emergency here). Or would I be screwed either way and waiting a few days for an online retailer to ship them to a local installer?
All I know is that the two main tire shops in my small town (Discount Tire and Future Tire) both had the Scamp size in stock when I needed tires.

Besides, as a full-timer, what's the hang-up with spending a couple of extra days somewhere?
Old 11-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #18

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Haha, you're absolutely correct. If I have a spare trailer tire, no big deal to hang out for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
All I know is that the two main tire shops in my small town (Discount Tire and Future Tire) both had the Scamp size in stock when I needed tires.

Besides, as a full-timer, what's the hang-up with spending a couple of extra days somewhere?
Old 11-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #19

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
One of our members (David visited Cari & I at Quartz Creek BLM land in Oregon one summer while they were on vacation from their home state of Arizona. Dave & Paula drove a sweet jeep (lifted etc...) and towed a 13' Scamp with lots of mods (currently have a Lil Snoozy). Anywhooo... IIRC, he shared that he was able to manually/quickly adjust the axle on his Scamp to basically match the lift of the jeep once on a trail such as the OP showed. Pretty nice setup! There might be some pictures of the mods at his scamp album.

We were in camp with Parkliner #35 panning for gold. That surprise visit out in the _woods_ was a real treat.

quartz creek... one of our favorite free camping areas...this is about ~14 miles up the forestry road. I can sit on a rock and look at this river for days.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #20

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
vehicle height

Quote:
Currently (hehe) I plan on picking up a 16ft Scamp or Casita and pulling it with a V6 of sorts (Minivans seem like a decent bet these days) while fulltiming. The type of off-roading I envision are dirt roads that may have seen better days. But honestly, I have no idea of what I would run into. Stuff like this enters my mind for the occasional trip, but maybe this sort of situation is one in a million? Maybe a stock Scamp or Casita 16 footer would handle that fine?

I'm not sure how many remote places & festivals I'll venture to, but it'd be nice to have the option and not be limited by my setup to a certain extent.
Anyway, I have a couple of questions re: ground clearance.

- What is the ground clearance for the 16ft Scamp and Casita to:

a) the underside of the body?
b) the underside of the axle?
c) Are there high-lift kits (for body or axle) for the Scamps? Most of the aftermarket products/vendors seem to cater to Casita for mods.

- What's type of clearance (a or b) is important when traveling forest roads and what not? Obviously great clearance to the bottom of the axle is wonderful, but maybe that's not the end all / be all? Maybe axle clearance is fine and what folks run into trouble with is the body dragging on big dips in the road?

- I don't know the clearances for the TTs, but having good clearance with the tow vehicle is important as well to me. For a few popular, modern minivans I see the following for ground clearance:
4.5in
6.2in
5.6in

And for a Ford Explorer, I see:
7.6in

For folks that take their campers to somewhat remote areas, what sort of minimum ground clearance do you require in your tow vehicle?

Thanks!
: i never worry about height as the undercarriage can take some pretty good banging around before a problem occurs what we do is drive right find the right spots to drive through a bad area or just drag it through and over until in the good again. For years I had 4wd never needed it and the one time I did I got so stuck and it took all day with a winch and two other winches to get us out of the road of mud. I now only buy 2wd and if 4wd it is because I'm towing it so much easier to tow. I have been to monument Valley and that is where that road looks to be and we did it in my friends 2010 Ford Diesel, it made it every where and to places only the horses went. SO when we got back we got on their truck and went out and the best seats in the truck are out over the springs and they travel at about 20 mph most of the ride except when stopped is in the air, thankfully the seat belts keep you sitting but most of the time your up in the air.
Great ride and would do it again and again way better than a roller coaster rid is this one.
But since I have only owned 2wd vehicles and I do just fine.
Stude
Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
If you are talking an emergency this is a non-issue when Wal-Mart has premounted 13, 14, & 15" tires/rims on the rack. And let me save those the trouble that will jump in bashing the Wal-Mart tires, the man did say emergency.