Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I concede that perhaps you intended to mean that this particular venture was misguided, but others apparently took it as a general condemnation, at least I did, of the entire idea of Tiny Houses.
Sorry,
In my attempt to be brief i was not clear. I was referencing this offering and this offering only.
To each his own...

Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I am one who does not believe this is a misguided movement at all.

I fully agree that it is a great option for people, especially young folk, who are trying to get a foothold in life. If these people are happy with it, who are we to criticise them. There is no doubt that this movement over the last century of a bigger home is always better is out of hand. I have fallen victim to it too. Not living beyond my means, but definitely beyond my needs.

If they are built properly, they would be way more funcional and roomy than a travel trailer. I do believe they should be built to a certain standard in order to quality for a recognized status. I have seen some builds that make me cringe with the quality and safety of the workmanship, while I have also seen some very well built small homes, done with some great ingenuity.

As is with our big stick built homes on foundations, I do believe there is a place for these homes too. Perhaps we need to see communities that focus on them, where they do not affect existing neighbourhoods. A place where they can share ideas, maybe a cooperative utility setup too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #17

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
to each his own.....

if you want new...and want LOTS of insulation, double pane windows, a full size bathroom and a large (by our standards here) kitchen....something is going to have to go....like a dinette area....no surprise...

as for price....see below
Attached Thumbnails
air.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #18

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
We have an 8 ft X 12 ft hunting shed / shack that we built for under $3000 . If I classify it as a Tiny Home does it then become a $30,000 shed / shack ?
If you live in your vehicle , then your vehicle is your home but that still doesn't make your vehicle a house .
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Sometimes the idea of less = more is true. In the case of tiny houses, small travel trailers, and filled backpacks this is very true. Small teaches you that all the stuff you thought you needed you don't.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
If it has year-round insulation, heat, electricity, and complete cooking, sleeping, and plumbing facilities, then perhaps yes.

It is clear the the definition of "house" is in the process of revision. Because there are so many vested interests involved- banks, builders and building codes, insurers, homeowners, local governments- change will be slow and messy. But the status quo is unsustainable, which will ultimately drive change.

Tiny houses are an opening move in the game of change. So are micro apartments. The end result will probably look different than either.

Neither has the same purpose as a travel trailer, but tiny homes are exploiting the superficial similarities- wheels and a coupler- to gain a foothold. Some buyers who don't consider all the ramifications- where they can park it and how they will get access to utilities- will get burned. But then, more than a few travel trailer buyers have gotten suckered into products they didn't really need or couldn't use, too. Doesn't mean the idea is wrong for everyone, everywhere.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Buy ! Bye !

While so many companies are pushing the idea of a tiny but expen$ive houses, many cities are pushing back on allowing people to park in back yards, side yards, driveways, or anywhere. Many cities or Homeowners groups do not even allow parking of RVs in yards or driveways . . .even if NOT occupied. In investigating these tiny houses, I seldom see any mention of the difficulty of parking, water, power, SEWER. etc. It's like they want you to Buy, Buy, Buy . . . . THEN worry about how and where ( or if ) you can park it. ! ! Bye, bye, bye, David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #22

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
I don't see the tiny house "movement" enduring, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #23

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
All the shows I've seen, the tiny house owners seem to have parents with acreage and they plant the thing there. A super-expensive build with no apparent services..

BTW, we've lived in an eight-hundred square foot house for more than 35 years. Three of us, with one bathroom ( and bushes in the back yard ).
Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #24

Name: Ace
Trailer: 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Illinois
Tiny House

At $350+ a square foot i see a good profit margin IMO
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #25

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
The extreme weight factor alone would make me run in the other direction, to a fiberglass trailer, muchless the type of construction to build these will not hold together well on the road at all with the vibration, bumps, etc. I just don't get it either, for the same money as a deluxe tiny home you can buy the best of the best travel trailers that are designed to pull down the road well.
They are not intended to be towed all over the country. Just to a lot where they can be set up permanently. More like a mobile home.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Jon in AZ,
I took issue with one of your posts last week. So I wanted to take a moment to say I've read at least three of your posts today that are among the most well thought out posts I've read. Thank you. BTW, not all were on this thread.

No question some form of tiny(er) house movement will endure. They are a function of affordability in places like Denver, and both coasts. They are also an alternative to noisy party walls and ceilings. When they widened Interstate 25, some homes were taken out. The fractional lots remaining are owned by CDOT, and are overgrown with weeds. It may not be your cup of tea, But putting small/tiny homes on these lots could solve two problems, and Denver University is within blocks.

Noisy party walls. It reminds me of last night, when my neighbor started pounding on my door at 2:30 in the morning. Can you imagine how insensitive that was? Good thing for him I was still up, practicing my bagpipes.

Would I consider a relatively tiny home with some common area maintenance as I ponder near fulltiming. You bet. ...I might not go for a ladder to a loft bed.

Once national building codes are changed, and Fannie Mae guidelines permit loans on them. They will gain acceptance.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #27

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
While so many companies are pushing the idea of a tiny but expen$ive houses, many cities are pushing back on allowing people to park in back yards, side yards, driveways, or anywhere. Many cities or Homeowners groups do not even allow parking of RVs in yards or driveways . . .even if NOT occupied. In investigating these tiny houses, I seldom see any mention of the difficulty of parking, water, power, SEWER. etc. It's like they want you to Buy, Buy, Buy . . . . THEN worry about how and where ( or if ) you can park it. ! ! Bye, bye, bye, David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
We live in a rural community and even here there is pushback.
You can park a trailer or tiny house on a parcel of land as long as it is of 5 acres in size or greater .
We grew up in the 1950's in a neighborhood of 24' x 32 ft houses
Our neighbor raised 11 children in one of these 750 sq ft homes.
Maybe he was just ahead of his time and was one of the first in the tiny house movement.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I don't see the tiny house "movement" enduring, but I could be wrong.
I know of a dozen young adults who are very keen, including a niece who is saving to build one. She has done a heck of a lot of research on it, has lots of good ideas. I actually enjoy discussing it with her, as she is keen to get my take on things seeing I build and renovate homes for a living.

As a society we are always quite to balk at, make fun of, and are just plain slow to adopt change. This is just another example. I see a much bigger movement towards change with our young adults than there was for generations ahead of them, with most of it good, and at least admirable.

I would love to build a small home for someone.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner