Misguided tiny house movement effort - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #57

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
There's also the people who are minimalists, they live in these tiny houses, students going to college use reclaimed materials to build it and help cut living costs. A tiny house can be built for under $10,000. There's also the green movement, people that build them from reclaimed materials and reduce their carbon footprint. It takes a lot less energy to heat and cool a small space than a 3500 square foot house.
It's not for everyone and tiny houses are not allowed everywhere. What we're looking at here is not the real movement where homeless people can build and have a nice place to live. There's expensive tiny houses with granite counter tops and gold faucets with builders trying to take advantage. When you put $80,000 for a tiny home in an area where homes are $800,000 is not a bad deal.
RVIA is a joke! Most FGRVs manufacturers don't have the RVIA certificate. It's not a building standard but just an organization. I personally have never been asked for RVIA certification on my Casita. Casita's are not RVIA certified. Most RV parks that ask for it are very expensive. That's where those million dollar motor homes stay.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #58

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What my father taught me is probably the main reason that we have saved for retirement , have no debt , have no credit cards.
and own our home!
Yep, no free lunch. Your Dad was like my Dad, old school.

It constantly amazes me when young folks today complain that they can't afford a house, but throw their money away on rent that is often higher than a mortgage payment would be - and while mortgage rates here are around 4 percent.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #59

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Yep, no free lunch. Your Dad was like my Dad, old school.

It constantly amazes me when young folks today complain that they can't afford a house, but throw their money away on rent that is often higher than a mortgage payment would be - and while mortgage rates here are around 4 percent.
The problem, is you have to live somewhere and trying to pay for a rental and save at the same time for a down payment is out of reach. Yes, I know some budgets are out of whack and fewer dinners out and fewer Starbuck purchases would help. But my own daughter is in the trap and is struggling. Living in one of the highest residential markets in the nation doesn't help either.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #60

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Living in one of the highest residential markets in the nation doesn't help either.
True enough Donna, the place where you live has alot to do with it. But around here, a decent starter home can be had in the 125K-150K range.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #61

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
To be fair my generation ( WW2 baby Boomers 1946 to 1960) are not as good with money as we pretend to be . The average person in our age group has approx $70K saved for retirement and we don't have Starbucks for an excuse.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:05 AM   #62

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
The smallest of starter homes, and my daughter just got into one a year ago, is all over $300k here.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner