Mission Accomplished - Scamp is Home! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Thanks Dave. When I joined the Army in '68 we made $102 per month ($87 after taxes). After we went through the pay line, we had to go through one more line. One of the cadre was sitting at a field desk with a "donation" can and two lists.
Tom
Good story Tom. I joined the AF in '72 and think we made around $300.00 a month. Didn't have the donation can but after I sent a money order home to my soon to be wife and I was left with $47.00 for the month. Years later when she became my ex she got the donation can... as in the house

Old 08-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Tom!

I like the new cabinet finish, too. Very clean appearance. Was that an upgrade, or has Scamp actually made a change across the board? If so, that's newsworthy!

Many happy travels!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Dadgum but that is one shiny Scamp! Congratulations, color me green with envy for your wide(r) bed.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tom,

Great to read about how you enjoyed your first nights. We're all very happy for you. wishing you many more nights of camping bliss.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Michigan
Thanks guys for all the encouragement and good wishes. That means a lot to us. It has been a long, long journey. I learned so much from all the posts read here over the years, and now it feels like the forum members are the support staff to help us get the most enjoyment, and overcome small hurdles we'll encounter with the trailers.

We're organizing the storage, adding the padding to the bed, LEDs on order, and going to do a TV/DVD install when the Amazon shipments arrive. Getting ready for the next trip to the Algonac Rally in 3 weeks. No major mods planned because we had it made to fill our needs.

As far as I know, the cherry wood cabinets and woodwork are the only colors the standard model is offered in. The "wood" doors are still the chipboard that the others I've seen are, just a different color and grain pattern. I do like it, maybe just because it's different. The website doesn't reflect it, nor does the Scamp brochures, but the change has been in effect since at least January, when we went to Backus to see the Scamps in person.

I mentioned changing the lights to LED. That was going to happen anyway, but the process was fast tracked when my wife put bread, and hot dog buns in the cabinet over the sink. We used the light for a while and the heat almost toasted the buns. We laughed, because we were just talking about getting one of those folding wire toasters. I'm changing all 6 lights when they come in, as well as the 2 porch lights.

The TV install is for rainy days. We just had our first hard rain in two weeks last night. We both got up and ran out to the trailer to see what it sounded like from inside the camper. Didn't have to say a word, we both got the idea at the same time. After 43 years together, we joke that we share one good brain between us.

Tom
Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #20

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Wonderful, looks like you got all the options and so shiny! Have fun camping.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 13'
Sorry to bring a dying thread back to life, but I just discovered the pictures of your 2014 13' Scamp with the 54" bed. That looks really nice. I like the larger bed and it does seem to open the standard up a good bit.

Now, last week I thought I wanted to sell my 1994 Scamp and buy a ParkLiner, but now I'm thinking new 13' standard Scamp with 54" bed.

Since it has been about 2 months, how has the Scamp been doing?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #22

Michigan
Hey Jon, welcome to the forum. We've been to a couple rallies since we got it, and are now planning an extended trip to FL this winter. We couldn't be happier with the trailer. There were a couple minor issues, but Scamp stepped right up and honored their warranty. The bed is only 10" wider than normal, but that has proved to be plenty. The dinette cushions were a little too hard, but a 3" memory foam mattress topper did the trick. The bed is as comfortable as the one at home now. We leave the bed set up all the time. We like to eat and cook outside. The couch is our back up plan for rainy weather. We've used the A/C and the heater, so we're ready for anything weather-wise.

I've been in a ParkLiner and there is quite a bit more room. Hopefully you can see both in person before you decide. There's one out there for everyone! Good luck and have fun deciding. You're at the right place.

Tom
Old 10-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Congratulations, Tom!

I like the new cabinet finish, too. Very clean appearance. Was that an upgrade, or has Scamp actually made a change across the board? If so, that's newsworthy!

Many happy travels!
Its across the board, one of many changes over the years done toward constant improvement without committing wholesale change for the sake of change.
Scamp is one of a few products which has maintained its integrity and character for coming up on 45 years by being very deliberative about changes.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #24

Michigan
Well put Floyd. You can always ask "Why don't they do X or Y?", but they've been in business a long time. I admit thinking that from time-to-time. They've outlasted many of their competitors. Scamp's business model seems to work for them. Slow and deliberate progress is how they roll. I liked how our's looked and appreciated all the choices you can make when you order one. I have zero complaints about the customer service since the purchase.

Now I'm having fun doing little things to it to make it better for us. I think I'd be doing that even if we had a top of the line Oliver. I'd like to think we're putting as much thought into modifying our trailer as we can, before we drill the first holes. So far, so good.

Joanne (and I) love Tervis cups and mugs. She thought they deserved a more prominent place than in a cupboard, so she asked me to hang them up. Mama's happy now, and the simple little mod gives her a sense of "ownership". It reminds me of stained glass.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00459.jpg  

Tags
scamp