mobile internet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer

I am with you on the iPad, I just upgraded to the iPad 3 and my 1 is going to my daughter now.

I see there are plans on Rogers with us and Canada, but can you go to the us and then sign on to AT&T or Verizon? Or was your iPad 3 sold specific to an ISP?

They are somewhat ISP specific, but they can connect to quite a few different signal types. My ipad1 was AT&T, but my ipad3 is Verizon. I know that if you are traveling inEurope, you can get a prepaid SIM card and have Internet. I don't know how the Canadian vs US carriers are in regards to compatibility.

SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Most new smart phones and Ipads are compatible with the 3G or 4g networks in the US and Canada & the rest of the world - my equipment works find in the US. In regards to purchasing a SIM card in another country for your equipment to get a cheaper rate, you will need to make sure that your equipment is not locked by the carrier you purchased it from - many do lock them - so you are stuck with purchasing their roaming data plans and can not just replace the SIM card with another carriers SIM card.

Also CDMA devices do not have SIM cards so purchasing a different data plan in the country you are visiting is not an option - you are stuck with using your carriers data/voice roaming packages.

In a situation where you have a locked SIM card or a CDMA phone it really is cheaper to just purchase a cheap pay and go phone in the country you are visiting and throw it away when you are finished with it,

In Canada you can purchase prepaid SIM cards through two of the large carriers - Rodgers & Telus and most probable Bell. Forget Wind Mobile. The big thing is your equipment must have an unlocked SIM card.

Telus actually has an online site where you can check your none Telus equipment to see if it is compatibly

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I meant to add if you buy a roaming package from your home carrier read it very carefully. Do not assume that if you purchase their $30-50 roaming package that you will not face big roaming charges on your next bill. In some cases it only means you will be charged reduced roaming rates for the services you use - ie instead of paying 60 cents a text message you will be paying 30 cents - same with voice and date.

All carriers are different but to avoid a big bill read the terms of the package carefully.

Dont ask how I know that! ;-))

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote