mobile internet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
mobile internet

I'm looking for an internet solution for traveling in Canada. I have a laptop and would use a usb plug in device, or a mobile wifi device. I need a plan that I can start/stop as I travel/return home, travel USA. I know in the states rv'ers like verizon. What do you like to use in Canada?
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
If you want to start and stop your service make sure you pay the full cost of buying your USB or MIFI device. Stay out of contracts. The best networks (most complete coverage) are Telus and Bell.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I don't know how data plans work in Canada but AT&T has a plan with the iPhone where you can use it as a mobile hot spot for up to 5 devices. You ca turn off the hot spot when not needed. it requires a basic data plan for $20 per month and goes to $50 when you have the sharing turned on. I do not remember the allowed upload /download volume but that always worries me. Have not tried it yet but am considering it.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have read in other forums, Bell Canada. Virgin Canada is owned by them. pay as you go from Virgin. Also Telus has arrangement with Bell. They also have a sliding fee. But I have no direct experience with them.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
With any mobile-delivered internet service you have to be careful of WHAT you download with the internet or you will find yourself nailed with big-time data usage fees. What do you want to do with said connection? Email? Browsing this esteemed forum? Those won't hit you up too badly. Torrent downloads? Bad idea.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Before deciding on an internet device or provider you must first consider the types of places you expect to be using your connection. Cell service can be very spotty when you stray from primary travel routes. I live in Canada and enjoy camping in the wide open spaces that are most attractive to me. Unfortunately, my cell phone frequently doesn't get a signal and I therefore I have no access to internet anyway. I have now resolved to going without a designated internet connection for my laptop.
I just returned from a 10 day camping trip in remote western Maine. I have a wifi booster antenna. I was able to pick up open wifi signals from close cottages (used sparingly) or I drove to a local town 5 miles away to park near a library and use their community signal. The first few days I went through withdrawal at not having a constant internet connection but got into a routine to find and use a signal once a day to check for important emails.

Good luck!
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #7

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Yes... WiFi boosters are great! A good one can sometimes pick up a signal from a 1/2 mile away. Of course, it's bad form to piggyback on someone's signal when they haven't got the brains to put a password on it. I've never done that. Nope...not me. Never. Never ever. (snort! right!). I wish I had a dime for every WiFi box that still has it's out-of-the-box setup. Idiots!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Before deciding on an internet device or provider you must first consider the types of places you expect to be using your connection. Cell service can be very spotty
Good luck!

Exactly, you need to know what cell service works best in the area your gonna be in and then go from there.

If heading into Canada from the Western United States, Verizon is your best bet, though not positive how the coverage goes into Canada. If I remember correctly, roaming but decent service.

When we had the Rv park, Glacier area, AT&T was really spotty! Like one rock in the whole place that got any reception. You had to stand on the rock, in just the right spot or even that was iffy.... Verizon you could walk all over the park.

If you can announce what area your heading into from and how far your gonna travel up then I am sure some of the locals can help you with it better....... We have plenty Canadian member's like Barrie that could help better with what works in their areas...
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I don't know how data plans work in Canada but AT&T has a plan with the iPhone where you can use it as a mobile hot spot for up to 5 devices. You ca turn off the hot spot when not needed. it requires a basic data plan for $20 per month and goes to $50 when you have the sharing turned on. I do not remember the allowed upload /download volume but that always worries me. Have not tried it yet but am considering it.
I'd plan on using WiFi while in Canada if you have either AT&T or Verizon, and as Barrie said, there are many places where there is no cell signal

The rates for data even if you get a Canadian roaming plan for voice on US plans are huge - typically $2.00 - $3.00 per MB. While it may be possible to purchase a data plan in Canada from a Canadian cell company, I wasn't there long enough for that to be practical.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have to deal with this issue going in the other direction Canada to the US. First off you will find that Canadian plans for mobile internet are not cheap! neither are our basic cel services. If you can not get a really good plan from your US carried for roaming while in Canada you might find it is way cheaper to purchase a pay & go phone once you get to Canada and send a message out to friends with your new temp phone number and just throw the phone away after you are done with it. This also works the other way - if on an extended trip to the US it always cheaper for a Canadian to purchase a throw away pay as you go phone in the US. Or if you have a phone already that you can change the SIM card in - you can purchase a from a Canadian carried one of their SIM cards as pay and goes - I know Telus has them as does another major carrier Rodgers. For wi-fi honestly when roaming the cheapest way to go is just to look for hot spots at most coffee shops & library's & RV parks to get on the internet every couple of days Unless you have a good US roaming plan, an iphone and I pad you can connect to Ipad to the internet via the iphone & use its roaming plan to get on the internet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #11

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Do you need the laptop? You could trade it for an iPad... Either a used 3G model or a new 4G model. The new models CAN be used as a wifi hotspot as well, if your service provider allows it. So you could use the iPad to provide Internet wirelessly to other devices, like your laptop.

iPads are GREAT for web surfing, email, playing games, taking photos and videos (especially the 3rd gen), watching movies, listening to music, and many other uses. I am writing this on my iPad now, in fact. The iPad is tiny, compared to a laptop, but had a wonderful screen. The new iPad has a million more pixels than an HDTV! There are apps for just about everything you can imagine. Oh, and the iPad (as long as it is a 3G or 4G model) is a GPS, too.

One of the best things about it is that there is no contract for Internet service. You pay a month at a time. It does automatically renew, but you can cancel at any time, right from the iPad. You can subscribe and change wireless plans right from the iPad, as well.

If you have loved ones with iPads, iPhones, iPod touches, or Mac computers, you can video chat with them. You do need to be on wifi in order to video chat.

I owned a first generation iPad for two years, and now own a third generation iPad. If you have any questions about them, let me know.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
surfing in Canada

Sorry the wording of my original post unclear. I am Canadian, live in southern ontario...

I follow a number of blogs people camping all through Mexico using Tecels Banada Ancha for internet, with great success. I follow blogs camping through the USA using verizon with good success. lots of people in national forest, blm lands etc. boondocking near or with line of sight to cell towers on mountains.

I'm looking forward to travelling in Northern Ontario. Barrie-North Bay-Ottawa. Have an invite to Tatamagouche, would go via Quebec which I've never seen. I had hoped to be able to have internet access, however I've now seen coverage maps which are less than encouraging, especially in light of Barrie's comments.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Do you need the laptop? You could trade it for an iPad... Either a used 3G model or a

One of the best things about it is that there is no contract for Internet service. You pay a month at a time. It does automatically renew, but you can cancel at any time, right from the iPad. You can subscribe and change wireless plans right from the iPad, as well.
I am with you on the iPad, I just upgraded to the iPad 3 and my 1 is going to my daughter now.

I see there are plans on Rogers with us and Canada, but can you go to the us and then sign on to AT&T or Verizon? Or was your iPad 3 sold specific to an ISP?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I have AT&T. You can use your cell phone on the current plan but you would need to purchase a data plan for the trip to use the internet. Other than that just find WIFI accesses where you can.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer

I am with you on the iPad, I just upgraded to the iPad 3 and my 1 is going to my daughter now.

I see there are plans on Rogers with us and Canada, but can you go to the us and then sign on to AT&T or Verizon? Or was your iPad 3 sold specific to an ISP?

Bobbie
They are somewhat ISP specific, but they can connect to quite a few different signal types. My ipad1 was AT&T, but my ipad3 is Verizon. I know that if you are traveling inEurope, you can get a prepaid SIM card and have Internet. I don't know how the Canadian vs US carriers are in regards to compatibility.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #16

Registry
Most new smart phones and Ipads are compatible with the 3G or 4g networks in the US and Canada & the rest of the world - my equipment works find in the US. In regards to purchasing a SIM card in another country for your equipment to get a cheaper rate, you will need to make sure that your equipment is not locked by the carrier you purchased it from - many do lock them - so you are stuck with purchasing their roaming data plans and can not just replace the SIM card with another carriers SIM card.

Also CDMA devices do not have SIM cards so purchasing a different data plan in the country you are visiting is not an option - you are stuck with using your carriers data/voice roaming packages.

In a situation where you have a locked SIM card or a CDMA phone it really is cheaper to just purchase a cheap pay and go phone in the country you are visiting and throw it away when you are finished with it,

In Canada you can purchase prepaid SIM cards through two of the large carriers - Rodgers & Telus and most probable Bell. Forget Wind Mobile. The big thing is your equipment must have an unlocked SIM card.

Telus actually has an online site where you can check your none Telus equipment to see if it is compatibly
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #17

Registry
I meant to add if you buy a roaming package from your home carrier read it very carefully. Do not assume that if you purchase their $30-50 roaming package that you will not face big roaming charges on your next bill. In some cases it only means you will be charged reduced roaming rates for the services you use - ie instead of paying 60 cents a text message you will be paying 30 cents - same with voice and date.

All carriers are different but to avoid a big bill read the terms of the package carefully.

Dont ask how I know that! ;-))