Modifications To Your Trailer You Wish You NEVER DID! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Modifications To Your Trailer You Wish You NEVER DID!

Tell us all about the Modifications You Made to Your Fiberglass Trailer or Aftermarket Products You Installed on Your Fiberglass Trailer That You Wish You NEVER DID and want everyone to LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES OR LAUGH AT YOU for doing it in the First Damn Place!

It's never too late for all of us to learn from "Your" Mistakes!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We are pretty happy with all of ours. And we have done several.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We are pretty happy with all of ours. And we have done several.
while I am very happy with the way our 1971 Boler renovation turned out with the addition of a wetbath, permanent rear bed and street side bunk it was a huge chore that last over 2 years to complete. we love it and use the shower ever trip but due to the amount of work involved in engineering the whole thing, the labor involved and overall cost including wasted materials I am not so sure I would do it again under the same circumstances.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:33 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The item I would not do again is add the air conditioner. WE rarely use it. I just asked my wife and all she could talk about was the ositives. SHe likes the added storage of 6 drawers and 7 overhead cabinets.

As for positive directions our next renovation will focus on adding 3 more drawers and making existing space more usable, for example dividing the bread storage area into two levels. If you're interested in the new modes you can follow them under Preparing a 1991 Scamp under modifications.

A good part will be making initial modifications better. Over 7 years of use, one learns of potential improvements, plus some things, after 27 years are simply wearing and need replacement.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would not have added the rear receiver to our Scamp. It is not the best place to carry bikes and adds approximately 60# of its own weight in addition to rack and bikes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I would not have added the rear receiver to our Scamp. It is not the best place to carry bikes and adds a lot of its own weight.
Is that a mod YOU did or a factory option you wish you did not get? (Sounds like the topic is user mods)....

But in either case, I agree that I would not get the rear hitch receiver if the intent is to carry bikes or cargo. However I am glad I got it.. it works well to hold a antenna mast while parked.

For the most part I am happy with all the mods I have done. I attribute this to two things.

1. I give serious thought to any changes and spend time in the camper do "what ifs."
2. I do my best to make any mods 100% reversible, or as close to it as I can.

I have changed some of the electrical mods that did not work as intended. A TV antenna amplifier was installed and then removed. Also a cheap USB charger created so much radio interference as well as a small phantom load that I replaced it with a 12 volt outlet, and I use a USB charger that plugs into the 12 volt outlet when I need to charge something.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I really like the Truckfridge I installed in my old Scamp replacing the non-functional 3-way. However, if I had "a do over" I would not install the largest Truckfridge but the medium one instead. I would in addition to the smaller Truckfridge buy a really good cooler or even better, a portable 12V fridge (Truckfridge makes/labels one). This would help avoid the massive cold dump every time I open the fridge door just for myself or the kid to get a cold drink*. The cooler/fridge would be for drinks and lunch stuff and be handy to carry in the truck (running off the truck battery) when away from camp. The portable fridge has the added benefit of being able to be turned down cold enough to be a freezer for extended boodocking.

*I noticed while camping this past weekend my daughter was in and out of the fridge many times getting her water bottle. I also found the door hanging open twice where she failed to get it shut. This plays heck with keeping a fridge cold in near 90 degree weather. Yes, this is operator error and should be corrected with training. But when was the last time you tried to tell a 14 year old something?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
There is an elite thread asking this question, you may want to read it.
I have about all the mods done and bought the Casita Spirit with all options.
Only thing I might not do again is the Overtank platform. Well built and sturdy, and holds the Honda 3000 nicely, but next time will get 2 Honda 2000and keep them in the bed of the truck. . Sometimes I like it sometimes not.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Is that a mod YOU did or a factory option you wish you did not get? (Sounds like the topic is user mods)...
...Also a cheap USB charger created so much radio interference as well as a small phantom load that I replaced it with a 12 volt outlet, and I use a USB charger that plugs into the 12 volt outlet when I need to charge something.
It is a mod I did. My (used) Scamp did not have the receiver, so I ordered the kit from Scamp and had a local welder install it.

That was before I joined the forum, or I might have gotten some good advice against it, or at least a referral to the OMW bolt-on receiver, which I could now remove and resell, rather than the welded-on dead weight I now have at the back.

I might still put it to use for a small, lightweight plastic cargo box to carry the lightweight plastic chocks and levelers that now take up floor space inside the trailer. But 60# of steel to carry a 15# cargo box isn't exactly efficient!

You may have helped me avoid another false step with your comment about USB vs. 12V outlets. I definitely want to avoid phantom loads. Something to discuss with my electrician.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It is a mod I did. My (used) Scamp did not have the receiver, so I ordered the kit from Scamp and had a local welder install it.

That was before I joined the forum, or I might have gotten some good advice against it, or at least a referral to the OMW bolt-on receiver, which I could now remove and resell, rather than the welded-on dead weight I now have at the back.

I might still put it to use for a small, lightweight plastic cargo box to carry the lightweight plastic chocks and levelers that now take up floor space inside the trailer. But 60# of steel to carry a 15# cargo box isn't exactly efficient!

You may have helped me avoid another false step with your comment about USB vs. 12V outlets. I definitely want to avoid phantom loads. Something to discuss with my electrician.
Welders can cut off with their torch also ya know

To be honest, I has the USB charger on a switch, and a master battery switch, so the phantom load was not really an issue. I jut found that the plug in chargers seem to emit less RFI. I could have found a better USB charger, or tried to filter it, but it was easier just to go to a multi-function 12 volt outlet. I also have Anderson Power Poles that can supply up to 30 amps (Ham radio or inverter).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Welders can cut off with their torch also ya know

To be honest, I has the USB charger on a switch, and a master battery switch, so the phantom load was not really an issue. I jut found that the plug in chargers seem to emit less RFI. I could have found a better USB charger, or tried to filter it, but it was easier just to go to a multi-function 12 volt outlet. I also have Anderson Power Poles that can supply up to 30 amps (Ham radio or inverter).
Right! I'm not sure I want a cutting torch that close to the epoxy-coated OSB floor of the Scamp, though... It was dicey enough welding it on. I guess I could leave the extra frame crossmember in place and just cut off the receiver part for a savings of some weight. But I've already spent enough money on that hunk of metal!

Thanks for the information about the charging station. I don't do electrical, but it will help me talk intelligently with my tech.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I will have to live in it full time for a while to know what I regret having done or not done. But some of the mods are a lot of work so while in the process of creating them I sometimes find myself regret starting them which is not quite the same thing as wishing I did not complete the mods.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I installed a 12 volt outlet above the side dinette in my 16 foot. I don't regret doing it, but I don't use it near as much as I figured I would.

--Dan Meyer
scamp.n0kfb.org
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I love the question. I have been very disappointed in my self, that I have failed to come up with a good example. I mean, I have done stuff to Trilliums. Lots of stuff. But reviewing my memories, by the camp fire, (out of course, it's a week day). I remembered this post. Though not a modification exaclty, more a repair:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post472351

Totally wasted effort on four of five windows. Really good thread though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:37 AM   #15

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
The following items in my modification which aren't used and some were scrapped:
1/ Hitch receiver at rear bumper of Trillium: never being used except for a pole in which a rope tied to it across the back of A/C to...dry wet towels.
2/ Flood light at rear bumper of Trillium; too many times with blown fuses (10Amp DC), will be replaced by LED flood light.
3/ Home made bicycle rack at tongue of Trill: thrown out due to ugliness and hard to take off bicycles. Replaced by factory made rack , fold up, good look and can carry 3 bicycles. Other than that, i am happy with most of the modification. Share...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Installing a TV: ordered a mount from Amazon then got a larger TV/DVD player. Took a month long trip, never used it. But it always seemed in the way.

As far as AC, we have camped up to 105F. We use the AC a lot!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I have done only a few mods and all were non weight changing mods, adding outside 130amp plug, bug screens, sewer tube (PVC), inside hooks, cutting board over stove top, small items and none were what I would call adding weight to the trailer, maybe 25 pounds at most. One thing I would never due is add weight to the front or rear of the trailer, tool boxes, racks for bikes, generators, etc., we pull our Casita with a pickup and all that added weight goes there if we choose to carry items like that, so far we don't.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Tell us all about the Modifications You Made to Your Fiberglass Trailer or Aftermarket Products You Installed on Your Fiberglass Trailer That You Wish You NEVER DID and want everyone to LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES OR LAUGH AT YOU for doing it in the First Damn Place!

It's never too late for all of us to learn from "Your" Mistakes!
Hmmm. I've always been prone to get so caught up in analysis-paralysis before I actually do anything... When I looked into extending the tongue on the Casita I found that the weight of the extension would basically offset the improved leverage. This meant that the tongue weight would not be reduced, which was the primary goal of the project. So, that was something of a near-miss.

However, for laughs, I do have one to tell on myself (and certainly could tell many more if I took time to think about it).

We had to move our trailer to a different space within the same park last Friday. I had carefully reconnoitered the space on foot and decided to park the trailer with the utility hookups on the passenger side so we could enjoy a view from the rear dinette.

Well, I got so caught up in the idea that I was going to park "backwards" that my dear wife ended up asking me why I was setting up to back-in to a pull-through space, rather than simply pulling through from the other side. Good question, and one I really had no good answer for. I'm like that sometimes!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #19

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Mike, that's funny. I thought I was the only one to do stuff like that!

Wife said that is the reason she likes to go trailering with me: To get a good laugh. She laughs a lot....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I have done only a few mods and all were non weight changing mods, adding outside 130amp plug, bug screens, sewer tube (PVC), inside hooks, cutting board over stove top, small items and none were what I would call adding weight to the trailer, maybe 25 pounds at most. One thing I would never due is add weight to the front or rear of the trailer, tool boxes, racks for bikes, generators, etc., we pull our Casita with a pickup and all that added weight goes there if we choose to carry items like that, so far we don't.

trainman
In the case of many pickups, just the opposite approach is useful. My F150 has 1495 pound payload capacity. While this sounds more than sufficient, from that number comes every option added after the factory, including my bed cap, tow mirrors, bed liner, and side steps; then you have the payload itself of tongue weight, receiver hitch, everything in the truck, the weight of driver, passenger, and dog. We have maybe 100 pounds of payload capacity left, sometimes less due to the stuff we have in the truck.

If we add 250 pounds to the truck, we are way, way over payload at that point. If we add 250 pounds to the trailer, the truck only sees the additional tongue weight of between 30 to 40 pounds max. Meanwhile, our tow rating of 9,800 pounds, we are very far away from that limit.

So in general, the heavy stuff for us needs to go in the trailer, and the light but bulky stuff needs to go into the truck.

If a truck is close to maxed out on towing capacity, then usually its well over payload limit. Now many SUVs are different, with relatively high payload capacity and relatively low tow ratings.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote