More State Parks to Close - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Posts: 336
I just read that schwartzenagger is looking to close 220 California state parks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_...alifornia_parks

I was born in California-write to the governor...the state parks contact points, anyone! Get on your editorials...one of the state parks slated to close would be where the largest redwood in the country is...don't stand by...we can make a difference!! Everyone write...not just californians...we need to show that the tourist industry, us, campers, etc. would be severely affected. Even if you don't plan to go this year, this will prevent these assets from being used by your kids, grandkids, etc... Stand up!!

(ok...I will get off my soapbox now...)

Pam
__________________

__________________
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Lizbeth's Avatar
 
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Posts: 2,027
Registry
Thank you Pam for posting this. I will alert my fishing club and the other local clubs. They are good for emailing reps.
__________________

__________________
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joy A's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Posts: 1,252
He's cutting the absolute wrong things. Not only State Parks but fire people. We're just getting into the fire season.
I'm not sure you'd want to be in any of our remote campgrounds now.
__________________
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
*MOD HAT ON*

This is a very worthwhile topic dealing directly with what we are all here for... the love of camping, so it will remain open.

Please note though, that we still have a strict "No politicin'" rule and any strictly political comments are not allowed.

Thanks in advance.

*MOD HAT OFF*

That said, it IS sad that this may happen..

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Commercial Member
 
brian m.'s Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 457
Registry
It's funny how the local TV stations here in Texas did a news piece on the fact that all the state parks were at capacity this past holiday weekend. People can't afford to go on vacations due to the economy but can afford to go to the state parks and camp. Seems like a good source of income for state governments that don't have money and can't raise taxes. That's all I'm going to say about that ...
__________________
brian
2003 Casita SD 17'
http://www.coolcampcreations.com/
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,145
Quote:
It's funny how the local TV stations here in Texas did a news piece on the fact that all the state parks were at capacity this past holiday weekend. People can't afford to go on vacations due to the economy but can afford to go to the state parks and camp. Seems like a good source of income for state governments that don't have money and can't raise taxes. That's all I'm going to say about that ...
I'm not sure that most states obtain a positive cash flow from their state parks and CGs. If they were, I think they would keep them open. They charge enough to usually cover most (but not all) of the expenses, is my perception.

If they raise the fees enough to break even, folks will holler. If they close the parks people will holler. If they continue letting the state lands drain off funds in time of severe financial shortfall, citizens will holler. I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to make that decision.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
I'm not sure that most states obtain a positive cash flow from their state parks and CGs. If they were, I think they would keep them open. They charge enough to usually cover most (but not all) of the expenses, is my perception.

If they raise the fees enough to break even, folks will holler. If they close the parks people will holler. If they continue letting the state lands drain off funds in time of severe financial shortfall, citizens will holler. I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to make that decision.
Michael, is correct! I actually have an article (somewhere, I will try to find it) from a few years ago, that gave estimates of what it takes for Parks to operate versus the revenue brought in from being open. Scary! I too would hate to be in that position to even have to consider that decision. I am sure some parks hold their own, but so many don't. Then don't even get me started on some of the dumb policies as well as the destructive tourist that cost the parks $$$$$ with their destructive behavior and on and on. I hate to see any State or National Park closed due to budget and hopefully they can figure out how to not have to do it. I agree writing may help, but also understand, they have to cut somewhere. Unfortunately, most of us agree their budget cuts are in the wrong places. Can we say start at the top?


Gina, If I can find the article I have, I will send it to you before posting so you will know it's not political in nature, it really was more directed as a wake up call to Park visitors. I think this is a great topic, if we can keep it unpolitical.
__________________
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Posts: 179
Registry
Ken and I were talking to one of the rangers at Galveston State Park a couple of years ago, and she was hoppin' mad because layoffs were going into effect. One of the rangers with the least seniority was leaving, and she'd been there for 15 years! This ranger was saying that Texas State Parks generate huge revenues for the state, as in millions, and yet the state only allots a small percentage back to the parks, squeezing their budgets more and more. Since then we saw on the news where the park funding had increased, but I don't remember the percentage. Just thought it was interesting to hear the parks were such moneymakers.
__________________
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
Arizona has closed a couple parks, yet every weekend, at the campground I work at, we get the overflow from the state park just up the road. (Fool Hollow Lake)

I have driven through the park on weekdays, and they rival Oregon State parks for design, cleanliness, location.. almost luxury camping (Arizona rest stops are just as well maintained) Perhaps this is why the parks are so full.. folks WANT to line up to be in them. Heck, I want to go to them, but they have no reservations.. (I am going to tug my Burro to Fool Hollow Sunday nite to get a good spot for my days off, aamof)

Fast forward to California, IMHO, the parks are pretty low on the quality scale.. barely passable. The spurs and roads need work, the bathrooms are always dirty and the sites are packed in together... the beach parks don't even have sites mostly... they are parking lots that let you deploy your awning. Outside of the beach parks, I have never seen one full.. most I have stayed in are like ghost towns. (Yes, especially Bodie :-P) Security seems almost no existent, and the employees are cold and unpersonable..the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?

Forest service and county parks seem to always be full, or near full, however, even the ones right down the road from the State parks.

I see the difference between Arizona and California as quality of the facilities.. make the park NICE, and folks will flock.. perhaps if California would actually sink a few extra dollars into the campgrounds, clean them up, fix them up, folks would be more attracted to them as customers, and employees would make them a more pleasant spot to be in.... all cascading into more revenue for the state. It takes a few pennies investment to make a few dollars.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ronsmith100's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
Posts: 451
Quote:
I just read that schwartzenagger is looking to close 220 California state parks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_...alifornia_parks

I was born in California-write to the governor...the state parks contact points, anyone! Get on your editorials...one of the state parks slated to close would be where the largest redwood in the country is...don't stand by...we can make a difference!! Everyone write...not just californians...we need to show that the tourist industry, us, campers, etc. would be severely affected. Even if you don't plan to go this year, this will prevent these assets from being used by your kids, grandkids, etc... Stand up!!

(ok...I will get off my soapbox now...)

Pam
Sign of the times.
I am an Arizona Site Steward licensed by the Arizona Department of Parks and Recreations and they closed the program. But then we created our own organization and continue the protection of cultural resources (archeological sites) on our own working with local management (BLM, national Forest, and Indian nations) and the Department of Justice should there be a question of law.

Perhaps you should all look into a volunteer program that can keep the California parks open. Here is your chance.

Ron

__________________
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bill MacDermod's Avatar
 
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Posts: 611
Quote:
*MOD HAT ON*



Please note though, that we still have a strict "No politicin'" rule and any strictly political comments are not allowed.

Thanks in advance.

*MOD HAT OFF*

That said, it IS sad that this may happen..
Gina, I would have a problem with the political aspect of this subject as it is not a subject that would bring an argument like with one party arguing over another, I think all of us are in complete agreement that the state parks are a valuable resource for those of us who are campers and love the outdoors as everyone on this site is. This is a subject that is in the category on suggestions on what we as campers can do to fix it. I think writing letters is a great start
__________________
Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Anne3358's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Posts: 260
Quote:
Fast forward to California, IMHO, the parks are pretty low on the quality scale.. barely passable. The spurs and roads need work, the bathrooms are always dirty and the sites are packed in together... the beach parks don't even have sites mostly... they are parking lots that let you deploy your awning. Outside of the beach parks, I have never seen one full.. most I have stayed in are like ghost towns. (Yes, especially Bodie :-P) Security seems almost no existent, and the employees are cold and unpersonable..the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?

Forest service and county parks seem to always be full, or near full, however, even the ones right down the road from the State parks.

I see the difference between Arizona and California as quality of the facilities.. make the park NICE, and folks will flock.. perhaps if California would actually sink a few extra dollars into the campgrounds, clean them up, fix them up, folks would be more attracted to them as customers, and employees would make them a more pleasant spot to be in.... all cascading into more revenue for the state. It takes a few pennies investment to make a few dollars.
Sorry Gina, but you're brushing 'all' California State Parks with one big brush. If I go online to make a weekend reservation (Fri/Sat) at Big Basin the first weekend available is end of August ......... the park is full. You'll find a similar booking status at Prairie Creek, Hendy Woods aso ..... I ought to know that's where we hang out.

Over the last five or six years it has been difficult to get weekend reservations unless you make them in February. Right now we're paying $25 a night and 'no' our campgrounds are not filthy or falling apart. All the restrooms at Big Basin are less than 6 (approx) years old. The same for Prairie Creek.

I'm sure, I could go to Arizona to find fault with 'something' at your Parks?
__________________
Bill & Marianne, Silicon Valley, CA
2009 Casita "Little White House" Liberty Deluxe
Next Trip: 14th Annual FiberglassRV Rally @ San Lorenzo Park, King City, CA - May04 - May08, 2017
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
pjanits's Avatar
 
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Posts: 881
Illinois went through that last year, The governor closed all the parks in districts that were against him.
Purely vindictive.
The good news is he got indicted ( you may have heard) and the new governor's first duty was to reopen the parks.
He was the Lt. Governor and against the closings from day one. His reason is that times are tough and people will stay close to home, making the parks self supporting.
__________________
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
annie, reread my post....you passed over my comment on the No. Cal parks.

Quote:
.the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?
I refer to the the exact area you are talking about. Those parks are lovely.
__________________

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecticut state parks Bruce Thomas Camping, Campout Reports 0 05-21-2010 04:57 AM
AZ State Parks closing. Harry Young General Chat 7 01-21-2010 09:49 PM
Feds to Take Over CA State Parks Steve Dunkel General Chat 11 07-02-2009 06:45 PM
Illinois State Parks pjanits General Chat 8 02-26-2009 12:35 PM
State Parks and Fuel Costs Pete Dumbleton General Chat 13 06-02-2008 07:21 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.