More State Parks to Close - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
I just read that schwartzenagger is looking to close 220 California state parks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_...alifornia_parks

I was born in California-write to the governor...the state parks contact points, anyone! Get on your editorials...one of the state parks slated to close would be where the largest redwood in the country is...don't stand by...we can make a difference!! Everyone write...not just californians...we need to show that the tourist industry, us, campers, etc. would be severely affected. Even if you don't plan to go this year, this will prevent these assets from being used by your kids, grandkids, etc... Stand up!!

(ok...I will get off my soapbox now...)

Pam

Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #2

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Thank you Pam for posting this. I will alert my fishing club and the other local clubs. They are good for emailing reps.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
He's cutting the absolute wrong things. Not only State Parks but fire people. We're just getting into the fire season.
I'm not sure you'd want to be in any of our remote campgrounds now.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #4

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
*MOD HAT ON*

This is a very worthwhile topic dealing directly with what we are all here for... the love of camping, so it will remain open.

Please note though, that we still have a strict "No politicin'" rule and any strictly political comments are not allowed.

Thanks in advance.

*MOD HAT OFF*

That said, it IS sad that this may happen..

Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It's funny how the local TV stations here in Texas did a news piece on the fact that all the state parks were at capacity this past holiday weekend. People can't afford to go on vacations due to the economy but can afford to go to the state parks and camp. Seems like a good source of income for state governments that don't have money and can't raise taxes. That's all I'm going to say about that ...
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
It's funny how the local TV stations here in Texas did a news piece on the fact that all the state parks were at capacity this past holiday weekend. People can't afford to go on vacations due to the economy but can afford to go to the state parks and camp. Seems like a good source of income for state governments that don't have money and can't raise taxes. That's all I'm going to say about that ...
I'm not sure that most states obtain a positive cash flow from their state parks and CGs. If they were, I think they would keep them open. They charge enough to usually cover most (but not all) of the expenses, is my perception.

If they raise the fees enough to break even, folks will holler. If they close the parks people will holler. If they continue letting the state lands drain off funds in time of severe financial shortfall, citizens will holler. I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to make that decision.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I'm not sure that most states obtain a positive cash flow from their state parks and CGs. If they were, I think they would keep them open. They charge enough to usually cover most (but not all) of the expenses, is my perception.

If they raise the fees enough to break even, folks will holler. If they close the parks people will holler. If they continue letting the state lands drain off funds in time of severe financial shortfall, citizens will holler. I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to make that decision.
Michael, is correct! I actually have an article (somewhere, I will try to find it) from a few years ago, that gave estimates of what it takes for Parks to operate versus the revenue brought in from being open. Scary! I too would hate to be in that position to even have to consider that decision. I am sure some parks hold their own, but so many don't. Then don't even get me started on some of the dumb policies as well as the destructive tourist that cost the parks $$$$$ with their destructive behavior and on and on. I hate to see any State or National Park closed due to budget and hopefully they can figure out how to not have to do it. I agree writing may help, but also understand, they have to cut somewhere. Unfortunately, most of us agree their budget cuts are in the wrong places. Can we say start at the top?

Gina, If I can find the article I have, I will send it to you before posting so you will know it's not political in nature, it really was more directed as a wake up call to Park visitors. I think this is a great topic, if we can keep it unpolitical.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #8

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
Ken and I were talking to one of the rangers at Galveston State Park a couple of years ago, and she was hoppin' mad because layoffs were going into effect. One of the rangers with the least seniority was leaving, and she'd been there for 15 years! This ranger was saying that Texas State Parks generate huge revenues for the state, as in millions, and yet the state only allots a small percentage back to the parks, squeezing their budgets more and more. Since then we saw on the news where the park funding had increased, but I don't remember the percentage. Just thought it was interesting to hear the parks were such moneymakers.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #9

West Coast USA
Registry
Arizona has closed a couple parks, yet every weekend, at the campground I work at, we get the overflow from the state park just up the road. (Fool Hollow Lake)

I have driven through the park on weekdays, and they rival Oregon State parks for design, cleanliness, location.. almost luxury camping (Arizona rest stops are just as well maintained) Perhaps this is why the parks are so full.. folks WANT to line up to be in them. Heck, I want to go to them, but they have no reservations.. (I am going to tug my Burro to Fool Hollow Sunday nite to get a good spot for my days off, aamof)

Fast forward to California, IMHO, the parks are pretty low on the quality scale.. barely passable. The spurs and roads need work, the bathrooms are always dirty and the sites are packed in together... the beach parks don't even have sites mostly... they are parking lots that let you deploy your awning. Outside of the beach parks, I have never seen one full.. most I have stayed in are like ghost towns. (Yes, especially Bodie :-P) Security seems almost no existent, and the employees are cold and unpersonable..the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?

Forest service and county parks seem to always be full, or near full, however, even the ones right down the road from the State parks.

I see the difference between Arizona and California as quality of the facilities.. make the park NICE, and folks will flock.. perhaps if California would actually sink a few extra dollars into the campgrounds, clean them up, fix them up, folks would be more attracted to them as customers, and employees would make them a more pleasant spot to be in.... all cascading into more revenue for the state. It takes a few pennies investment to make a few dollars.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I just read that schwartzenagger is looking to close 220 California state parks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_...alifornia_parks

I was born in California-write to the governor...the state parks contact points, anyone! Get on your editorials...one of the state parks slated to close would be where the largest redwood in the country is...don't stand by...we can make a difference!! Everyone write...not just californians...we need to show that the tourist industry, us, campers, etc. would be severely affected. Even if you don't plan to go this year, this will prevent these assets from being used by your kids, grandkids, etc... Stand up!!

(ok...I will get off my soapbox now...)

Pam
Sign of the times.
I am an Arizona Site Steward licensed by the Arizona Department of Parks and Recreations and they closed the program. But then we created our own organization and continue the protection of cultural resources (archeological sites) on our own working with local management (BLM, national Forest, and Indian nations) and the Department of Justice should there be a question of law.

Perhaps you should all look into a volunteer program that can keep the California parks open. Here is your chance.

Ron

Old 05-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #11

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
*MOD HAT ON*

Please note though, that we still have a strict "No politicin'" rule and any strictly political comments are not allowed.

Thanks in advance.

*MOD HAT OFF*

That said, it IS sad that this may happen..
Gina, I would have a problem with the political aspect of this subject as it is not a subject that would bring an argument like with one party arguing over another, I think all of us are in complete agreement that the state parks are a valuable resource for those of us who are campers and love the outdoors as everyone on this site is. This is a subject that is in the category on suggestions on what we as campers can do to fix it. I think writing letters is a great start
Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Fast forward to California, IMHO, the parks are pretty low on the quality scale.. barely passable. The spurs and roads need work, the bathrooms are always dirty and the sites are packed in together... the beach parks don't even have sites mostly... they are parking lots that let you deploy your awning. Outside of the beach parks, I have never seen one full.. most I have stayed in are like ghost towns. (Yes, especially Bodie :-P) Security seems almost no existent, and the employees are cold and unpersonable..the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?

Forest service and county parks seem to always be full, or near full, however, even the ones right down the road from the State parks.

I see the difference between Arizona and California as quality of the facilities.. make the park NICE, and folks will flock.. perhaps if California would actually sink a few extra dollars into the campgrounds, clean them up, fix them up, folks would be more attracted to them as customers, and employees would make them a more pleasant spot to be in.... all cascading into more revenue for the state. It takes a few pennies investment to make a few dollars.
Sorry Gina, but you're brushing 'all' California State Parks with one big brush. If I go online to make a weekend reservation (Fri/Sat) at Big Basin the first weekend available is end of August ......... the park is full. You'll find a similar booking status at Prairie Creek, Hendy Woods aso ..... I ought to know that's where we hang out.

Over the last five or six years it has been difficult to get weekend reservations unless you make them in February. Right now we're paying $25 a night and 'no' our campgrounds are not filthy or falling apart. All the restrooms at Big Basin are less than 6 (approx) years old. The same for Prairie Creek.

I'm sure, I could go to Arizona to find fault with 'something' at your Parks?
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 AM   #13

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Illinois went through that last year, The governor closed all the parks in districts that were against him.
Purely vindictive.
The good news is he got indicted ( you may have heard) and the new governor's first duty was to reopen the parks.
He was the Lt. Governor and against the closings from day one. His reason is that times are tough and people will stay close to home, making the parks self supporting.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #14

West Coast USA
Registry
annie, reread my post....you passed over my comment on the No. Cal parks.

Quote:
.the exception to that one is the Redwoodsa parks.. who wouldn't be happy to live and work there?
I refer to the the exact area you are talking about. Those parks are lovely.